TaleSpinner

[SPLIT] Dallas roads are bizarre and make no sense

27 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

This would be funny if I hadn't experienced the truth of it.

I hate roundabouts with a passion of a thousand suns; mostly because no one in the US knows or has been taught how to use them.  They just started putting them in everywhere with no warning or instructions.  People be crazy on those things.

They are fairly common here in New England.  Though that doesn't mean that people are any less crazy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaosscorpion said:

Wait till you see a divergent diamond intersection.  Your mind will be blown.  And expect to see more roundabouts it is the new trend for certain traffic conditions.

I think I actually like diverging diamonds. We have one of the first in the country about 2 miles from here and it has really cleaned up traffic at that intersection. Very odd the first few times through, though.

• Like 4

I just looked up divergent diamond intersections and they seem pretty cool. Just have to drive on "the wrong side of the road" for a minute to make them work. :upside:

Apparently we've got one constructed nearby that I've never seen and two that are under consideration. 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1MMZKi0RdQqjZjtBxmSTznUVnurY&ll=18.206649290462764%2C-80.24227424999992&z=2

Seems there's one under the Sam Rayburn Tollway as well, up by the Furniture Mart.

• Like 1

That looks like a divergent diamond but it is hard to tell from the image. It is similar anyway but they are calling it a Single Point Urban Interchange.  The single point is the single light that allows left hand turns to occur at the same time.

Edited by chaosscorpion
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaosscorpion said:

That looks like a divergent diamond but it is hard to tell from the image.

You can kind of see the lanes marked on the image. I think it's a variant of a regular old diamond interchange. There's only one light instead of the two needed for a divergent diamond, the lanes don't seem to cross in the middle, and if you look at the on- and off-ramps they're crossing a bunch of lanes of traffic--just what a divergent diamond is supposed to prevent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaosscorpion said:

That looks like a divergent diamond but it is hard to tell from the image. It is similar anyway but they are calling it a Single Point Urban Interchange.  The single point is the single light that allows left hand turns to occur at the same time.

Single Point Urban Interchange, huh? Who knew this would turn into Civil Engineering 101? Not me.

Look at this thing, though... this is your single-point urban interchange schematic:

Spoiler

Spui-schematic.svg

• Like 1

I've used the divergent diamond intersection that Doug is likely referring to. It isn't so bad. I kinda liked it, after initial puzzlement. I think they'd be good for more intersections. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

This would be funny if I hadn't experienced the truth of it.

I hate roundabouts with a passion of a thousand suns; mostly because no one in the US knows or has been taught how to use them.  They just started putting them in everywhere with no warning or instructions.  People be crazy on those things.

ROUNDABOUTS!!!!!!

The only thing they are good for is saying "Look kids! Big Ben! Parliament!"

• Like 1