Sushiroll

D&D Icewind Dale Yeti

Very nice.

For horns, one method I use is to base coat it all dark brown, then layer on starting from the base and increasing the amount of bone white in each layer, all.the way to the tip which is pure bone white, or even dead white.

Edited by VolksFest
  • Thanks 1

Awesome mini, and very cool paint job. I love painting fur... dry brushing is such an effective technique for it!

Were I you, here's what I would do with the horns, simply because they have a very interesting shape, are a focal piece for the model, and that could give you an opportunity to do some cool stuff with lighting. Place the mini under a strong overhead light, and note what parts of the horns are in shadow and which ones are highlighted. Start taking a thinned but darkened version of your bone color and start to apply it in those areas, and see if you like the gradations. Then, add texture!  Thin, subtle paralell bars could be cool if you're going for more of the african kudu look; this would also be cool: 

93b05a2cfbb681dda9b22bb7d030bee7.jpg

Good luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cyradis
      My D&D group's cleric is a follower of Chauntea, a plant goddess. He wields a scythe. He's also incredibly short for a human. He's absurdly chipper. He's the city's marijuana grower and distributor. 

For some reason, the player picked this figure, one of the townsfolk, to represent his character. I don't like this figure. Player stated that I could do low detail on him. I'm not sure there is a sufficient paint job to give him a cheerful face. 

C&C as I go is welcome. He isn't going to be one I super nitpick but I'd like him to be generally tidy. Might attempt OSL for practice. 

Oh bother. I thought I was in the WIP forums. Serves me right for doing this on the phone. Mod help pretty please? 

• By dice4hire
      I just painted up the Stone Juggernaut from the Tomb of Annihilation board game. 

• By Lidless Eye
      I've been testing out the new WizKids ready to paints. It was just the simple beasts for now, but I wasn't too impressed with the PC sculpts.  I'm hoping they improve the QC for the next wave, there's some cool designs coming.

The pack:

The Displacer Beast:

The Blink Dog:

• By ub3r_n3rd
      I recently discovered that I really liked listening to D&D games being played while painting.  I watched/listened to a few videos with Matt Mercer DMing some really cool games. 

What podcasts/videos do you all like to watch/listen to?
    • By Mutilatedlips
      Drizzt and Guen from the Galeforce9, D&D Collector's series. Does anybody know if that series is now defunct? Those HD minis may have taken their place I think. 

I painted Guen to look like she was being summoned or returning to the Astral Plane. At least that is what my brain and brush pictured it looking like. 

Instead of using the one base, I thought it would be more useful in gaming for them to have separate bases. 

• Who's Online   25 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)