Jump to content
knarthex

Veterans Day 2017

Recommended Posts

Had my Veteran's Day steak dinner with a fresh recruit.  Very fresh, he just got back from basic.  :lol:

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

@knarthex - I think we already knew Beagle does not work for a living. 

There is no harder working soldier than an officer of engineers. Every officer above captain is to be avoided, because they will all have a long list of essential tasks that they want you to focus on. Dig this, bridge that, build one of those, clear them, lift these and on and on. In Afghanistan my fellow sapper officers developed what we called the Sapper's Quickstep, which involves a retreat to cover from any roving infantry officers. 

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beagle said:

There is no harder working soldier than an officer of engineers. Every officer above captain is to be avoided, because they will all have a long list of essential tasks that they want you to focus on. Dig this, bridge that, build one of those, clear them, lift these and on and on. In Afghanistan my fellow sapper officers developed what we called the Sapper's Quickstep, which involves a retreat to cover from any roving infantry officers. 

 

Tis all too true. We Infantry like our cover, concealment, and avenues of fire.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, nakos said:

Tis all too true. We Infantry like our cover, concealment, and avenues of fire.

If the infantry like them the infantry can build them :poke: 

Unfortunately the infantry, in fact every branch of the army, see the Engineers as labourers, and not the highly skilled, specialists that we are............................this ignorance increases exponentially the higher up the infantry pecking order you go. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Beagle said:

If the infantry like them the infantry can build them :poke: 

Unfortunately the infantry, in fact every branch of the army, see the Engineers as labourers, and not the highly skilled, specialists that we are............................this ignorance increases exponentially the higher up the infantry pecking order you go. 

Being mechanized, the vehicle crews appreciated the Engineers but the rest of us had to do our own digging and such. Economy of scale or some such though I didn't always buy that as to why the crewmembers couldn't dig their own holes too. ::P:

Twelve years in I reclassed to Intelligence to get away from the labor of Infantry but because of my experience, I was always assigned to an Infantry unit.<_<

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nakos said:

Being mechanized, the vehicle crews appreciated the Engineers but the rest of us had to do our own digging and such. Economy of scale or some such though I didn't always buy that as to why the crewmembers couldn't dig their own holes too. ::P:

Twelve years in I reclassed to Intelligence to get away from the labor of Infantry but because of my experience, I was always assigned to an Infantry unit.<_<

Your average squaddie is not a problem, for me it was always infantry officers that couldn't make a distinction between labourers and specialists, too many of them see engineers as pack mules, and because we never operated as a full squadron but got split into battlegroup packages, there was always a higher ranking infantry officer around to shrug his shoulder and say "Just do it" :unsure:

 

I never worked with real armoured infantry, do vehicle crews serve in a distinct platoon or company within a battalion> Would a squad always have the same vehicle and crew on operation?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beagle said:

I never worked with real armoured infantry, do vehicle crews serve in a distinct platoon or company within a battalion> Would a squad always have the same vehicle and crew on operation?

 

I don't know about UK armored infantry formations but the US units are set. The entire battalion is made of armored infantry; five companies, one HQ, four armored. The ground and crew are part of the same squad and are the same for each mission. At least until some get orders to a new location. 

 

It sounds like UK Engineers are broken apart like US Engineers. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, we tend to be deployed as a Squadron and then broken up into packages, often with other NATO troops. In Afghanistan we were with Brits and Estonians on the first tour, then Brits, American Marines and Danish on the second.

 

moving between regiments is very unusual here, we tend to join a regiment and that’s it for life. The most common exception is guys trying for the special forces or the Parachute regiment. 

 

It struck me how inferior the kit of the US marines was compared to their army counterparts. Whenever we were deployed near the US army we’d be on the scrounge for some of their luxuries, but when it was the US marines we had to nail down anything shiny 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 That's pretty typical, they're half the size and a quarter of the budget. And it's not unusual for some Army replaced gear to end up with the Marines. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know if it's true or not but I read that the US Marines take pride in getting by with less and do it somewhat deliberately to encourage inventiveness and independence. My dad had a cousin that was a Vietnam era marine. Tough little bugger. He said he got that way because he could never control his mouth so he got used to doing pushups with the sergeant on his back.

 

Thanks from a guy that seriously considered joining but didn't because I'm half blind and half deaf.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2017 at 7:11 AM, Beagle said:

What happened to yours? I was allowed to keep my dress uniform and two sets of fatigues

I got out in 1992, and somewhere from moving from Grandma's and my many moves, it all got lost:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×