londwch

Orc Stalker

Here's an effort I made at painting this orc.  I've only been painting three weeks so I am open to help/comments. I added some Welsh slate to the base.   Took some inspiration from an artist called slashhamster.  Thanks

20171111_235644.jpg

20171111_235709.jpg

Edited by londwch
  • Like 21

1 hour ago, londwch said:

Here's an effort I made at painting this orc.  I've only been painting three weeks so I am open to help/comments. I added some Welsh slate to the base.   Took some inspiration from an artist called slashhamster.  Thanks

No images.

Its a great start!  Looks like you have nice brush control. 

Depending on how far you want to take him, i.e. table top or display will determine the things you should work on. 

I would say work on deepening the shadows and bringing up the highlights as a place to start.  You're off to a great start though!

One other tip is to look around and ask a lot of questions!  There are lots of great artists on here that are always willing to help. 

Edited by NecroMancer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the positive remarks NecroMancer  :)  and all the likes.   You are right there are some great artists out there and it is very humbling trying to emulate.

My niece agreed about the highlighting on the green skin too ! 

Thanks anyway ! seems like a really nice group.

• Like 1

NecroMancer offered up some great advice, I agree with his comments.

Welcome to the hobby, and to our little corner of the internet here. Please feel free to ask questions, there are tons of very talented people here that don't mind helping out.

Don't forget the biggest rule: if you're having fun, you're doing it right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Chaos, I managed to stumble into a batch of reaper bones trying to get started and ended up here :)  I have been getting a bit frustrated with brushes at moment they all seem to be falling apart so any help there  would be great  ! I'm just watching you tube for tips really on stuff and searching google.

Good rule though.

• Like 1

Looking good! Welcome to the forum and the hobby! ^_^

Your pictures are a bit blurry, so it's hard to make out details. Try setting your phone (I assume those are phone pictures - replace the word phone with camera if not) onto a stable surface to take your pictures so your hands don't shake. At our small scale, even a slight shake will make your pictures come out blurry.

I agree about the highlights, especially on the skin. I also think your paint might be a little thick. I'll refer you to a post I made explaining paint thinning that might help you here:

As far as brushes go, you'll find a great many opinions on what the best brushes to use are. Most people will agree, at least, that you want to use good quality, natural hair brushes - specifically Kolinsky Sable. Many different people will suggest to you their own personal favourite brush and I'm going to do that as well. ::P: But first of all, I will say that these are my personal preference and my first and foremost advice is for you to try out many different high quality brushes until you find one that you like the most. Check out the Painting Tips & Advice forum and you'll find a couple of different topics with people discussing what their favourite brushes are. That aside, my favourite brushes are the Rosemary & Co Series 33 brushes. They're really nice quality brushes and they're on the low end of the price spectrum for nice quality brushes. They're also based in England so since you're in Wales, you might be able to pick some up locally, although their online shop works just as well. I can't link you to them because the forum rules don't allow commerce links, but a Google search for "Rosemary & Co Series 33" will take you right there. I would recommend any size of those brushes between 3/0 and 2 for miniature painting. Note that brush sizes are not standardized across brands, but I've personally used all of those. If you need a larger brush then that, it's probably for painting terrain or basecoating a dragon or something like that, in which case using a large, cheap art store brush will work just fine.

I'm going to assume that your frustrating, falling apart brushes are probably cheap art store synthetic brushes. I wouldn't throw those out, unless they're falling apart to the point of being completely useless, but you're going to want to relegate those to jobs that are rougher on brushes that you wouldn't want to beat up your high quality brushes with - things like brush-on priming, basecoating rough surfaces, drybrushing, terrain, etc.

Since you're looking for stuff on youtube, I would highly recommend Doctor Faust's Painting Clinic, Tabletop Minions and Vince Venturella.

And while you're checking things out, perhaps have a look at the WIP thread that Buglips and I did here:

We tried to give a lot of useful tips in there that might be of some use to you. ^_^

• Like 3

Hey Guindyloo, thanks for the ton of advice I will take that all on board, I will come back later and recap.

Yep you are right it was a very dodgy camera phone - shaking under then office lamp !

Next photo I take I will try and cut that out a bit.

The paint was my first upgrade from some very cheap acrylic to some more expensive brand.  I will study the paint thinning post later as I am working on the bones mage at the moment but am using a wet palette and found it keeps the paint a lot thinner in general.  

You are right about the brushes they Asian imports but a good starting point at the time.  The ferrules can even fall off during painting! :) but they are the best small brushes I have really at the moment.

I have definitely heard of kolinsky and I did check out the prices but they did seem a little pricey and I did hear from a Dr Faust you tube that he did not get along with them too well? I believe he said they were a little to soft? I may have remembered that wrong though.

Think I have heard of the Rosemary and Co line from a youtuber wasd20 so I will investigate.

The brush sizes can be annoying when choosing online as you say they are not standardized.  I will take a tip from you on the sizes from that brand.

I did pick up a layering brush from a local hobby shop I found from citadel and I don't know if I was too heavy handed but it was wrecked in no time.

I will come back later and study your links but need to get a move on this morning.   Thanks again for the help its all good advice.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, londwch said:

Hey Guindyloo, thanks for the ton of advice I will take that all on board, I will come back later and recap.

Yep you are right it was a very dodgy camera phone - shaking under then office lamp !

Next photo I take I will try and cut that out a bit.

The paint was my first upgrade from some very cheap acrylic to some more expensive brand.  I will study the paint thinning post later as I am working on the bones mage at the moment but am using a wet palette and found it keeps the paint a lot thinner in general.  

You are right about the brushes they Asian imports but a good starting point at the time.  The ferrules can even fall off during painting! :) but they are the best small brushes I have really at the moment.

I have definitely heard of kolinsky and I did check out the prices but they did seem a little pricey and I did hear from a Dr Faust you tube that he did not get along with them too well? I believe he said they were a little to soft? I may have remembered that wrong though.

Think I have heard of the Rosemary and Co line from a youtuber wasd20 so I will investigate.

The brush sizes can be annoying when choosing online as you say they are not standardized.  I will take a tip from you on the sizes from that brand.

I did pick up a layering brush from a local hobby shop I found from citadel and I don't know if I was too heavy handed but it was wrecked in no time.

I will come back later and study your links but need to get a move on this morning.   Thanks again for the help its all good advice.

You're welcome! ^_^

I use a phone camera as well, so I'm intimately familiar with the hand shake blur. Many of mine are even worse than yours when I'm in a hurry.

I hope you have good success with the wet palette! I use one and love it, it really made thinning paints much easier for me.

It's entirely possible that Dr. Faust has said that he prefers synthetic brushes, I know there are people who do because the synthetic brushes are stiffer and have more spring to them, whereas natural hair brushes are going to be softer and bend more. Like I said, there are so many opinions out there on brushes and none of them are wrong, it's just down to personal preference and that's why I like to encourage people to try out many brushes to see what they like the most.

However, one of the reasons that I use and recommend Rosemary & Co brushes is because they cost £4-5 per brush, whereas the often highly recommended Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes can run £10-15. They're both high quality Kolinsky Sable brushes but the lower cost of the Ro&Co, I think is easier to stomach when you're already spending a lot of money on all of the various bits and bobs that come with starting a hobby. I've been using Ro&Co brushes for about a year and a half now and I'm very rough on them and I have only just started seeing some wear on one of the brushes that I use every time I paint.

I haven't used Citadel's brushes, so I wouldn't be able to speak to whether you got a typical quality one or a fluke.

There's so much information out there and I know I've thrown a good bit at you. Let me know if I can answer anything else or make any better sense of anything for you. ^_^

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi again just trying to get my painting head together :) was hoping to sit and have a good old read up on the site and see what everyone else was up to so saw your reply.  I just got a couple of new brushes today on way home from work and took the tip off one and it looks like its had it already!! maybe the brush cleaner can save it though.  That stray bristle is very annoying :angry: still not bad £3.30 for a 000 and a 1.  The palette is better than the tile I think but it can't be too wet but I agree it is more fun makes life easier too. ::):.  I will now sit and have a browse and hopefully get a bit of peace to apply some more paint and see how it goes tonight !  Cheers Guindy 

• Like 1