Citrine

Aeris, Female Elf Ranger (77405)

My son and his girlfriend visited this weekend, and she and I painted miniatures together.  We had a blast painting together!

Here is her first mini, which is light years ahead of my first mini:

P1010723.JPG.d2a84f4662cc47831c329db15e0aa6c8.JPG

P1010727.JPG.f49a56007ee06075a8ff515c1060e1a0.JPG

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

The Girl has The Touch. I can she her painting incredible pieces in no time at all. Her deft work with the brush & eye for colors is OUTSTANDINGVERY NICELY DONE!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hey all! I am actually Citrine's son's girlfriend, and the one who painted this mini. I finally got an account made after some trouble with error codes. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who left such nice comments! This is in fact my very first Mini, and it will definitely not be my last! I've already started on a spider, who will probably be posted in a few days, assuming I can get a half decent picture. (I don't have fancy studio lighting and setups). Thank you all so much for the encouraging words!

On 11/12/2017 at 8:36 PM, malefactus said:

The Girl has The Touch. I can she her painting incredible pieces in no time at all. Her deft work with the brush & eye for colors is OUTSTANDINGVERY NICELY DONE!

Aww, thank you so much!! I only did so well with a bit of help though. Citrine taught me how to do that neat eye trick, and a few other awesome things. I'm so thankful to have gotten the time to paint/work with her. 

22 hours ago, VolksFest said:

Her first EVER mini? Are you sure? Waaay better than my first adventure for sure! Kudos!

12 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

That is fantastic!  I am amazed that is her first mini!

Yup, first one ever! I dabble a little in art here and there, (mostly the high school stuff when I was younger) but even I'm impressed with how this turned out! And thank you so much for the kind words! I'm sure you're doing amazing work now. ^-^

Thanks again everyone! I look forward to doing so many more! I may have done well here, but there's always room for improvement! 

• Like 4

welcome welcome! It's a really stellar first go, congrats on getting bit by the miniaturist bug! Definitely looking forward to your next piece; don't worry about a fancy photo setup...just good light and a focused camera and we'll see just fine. And eventually, poke around the shutterbug forum and figure out a good setup for you! The important thing is that you're painting and posting...and having fun! 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Sanael said:

welcome welcome! It's a really stellar first go, congrats on getting bit by the miniaturist bug! Definitely looking forward to your next piece; don't worry about a fancy photo setup...just good light and a focused camera and we'll see just fine. And eventually, poke around the shutterbug forum and figure out a good setup for you! The important thing is that you're painting and posting...and having fun! 

Hello! =D Hehe, this is going to be so much fun to mess with. Right now, I'm working with paints and pieces I got for Citrine, so you can thank her for getting me started! And thank you for the advice. I'm just learning my way around the forum, so that'll be a good place to check out once I get a little more settled in.  I really appreciate it! 

• Like 2

Hey, another victim.. Err.. I mean mini painter!  ::P:

As already said, you are off to very good start and believe me making your way to these wondrous forums has already taken you half the way to awesomeness, since you will no doubt find out that this is one of the rarest and most welcoming and probably the gentlest forum out there in the internets.

Thus, do not hesitate to ask and learn, since this is pretty much the only way to improve in this blessing of a hobby; "paint, shoot, show, listen, learn, incorporate and paint again.. Rince and repeat".

Welcome on board, and enjoy the ride! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, VolksFest said:

As already said, you are off to very good start and believe me making your way to these wondrous forums has already taken you half the way to awesomeness, since you will no doubt find out that this is one of the rarest and most welcoming and probably the gentlest forum out there in the internets.

Thus, do not hesitate to ask and learn, since this is pretty much the only way to improve in this blessing of a hobby; "paint, shoot, show, listen, learn, incorporate and paint again.. Rince and repeat".

Welcome on board, and enjoy the ride! 

This is so awesome! Thank you so much for the warm welcome! ^-^ It's already been an amazing beginning, and I look forward to so much more. 

I suppose the next thing to do is ask where I stumbled/could have done better on this Aeris mini. What do you/anyone else who sees something off, think?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pikammd said:

I suppose the next thing to do is ask where I stumbled/could have done better on this Aeris mini. What do you/anyone else who sees something off, think?

I think this is a really awesome first go. You have good brush control and you already have a start on feathering and layering for shadows and highlights.

You'll often hear the triune mantra, "Higher Highlights, Deeper Shadows, Smoother Blends." I personally think the third part of that is the best place to focus for a new painter. Smaller brushstrokes when feathering highlights in, plus the application of glazes in your midtone, can help move you in that direction. You already have a good start, the big thing now is just to keep painting.

I'll also say, if you want to spend hours on these forums, be sure to visit the Work in Progress threads. There are some phenomenal artists on these boards, and many are incredibly giving of their knowledge. Corporea is a first-rate painter and her WiPs are usually very detailed; same goes for Kuro Cleanbrush. Guindyloo and Buglips are doing a joint WiP right now with some great process for new painters. Knarthex is doing a Demogorgon right now that looks awesome, and if you want to see some cool dioramas come together look for Ub3rN3rd's threads. I could name a hundred others (and I'll point at the links in my sig :ph34r: ).These are great for inspiration and for theory, since most forumites will be more than happy to answer any questions you have about their threads. Even if you think a technique is too advanced for you right now, I guarantee it's grounded in work that will help you no matter what level your painting is.

Of course, all the theory won't help unless you paint and post. If you want critical commentary, make sure you ask for it; we forumites love to play the cheerleader and will usually err on the side of 100% positive feedback unless a post specifies the desire for genuine critique.

Looking forward to seeing your work!

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Sanael said:

I think this is a really awesome first go. You have good brush control and you already have a start on feathering and layering for shadows and highlights.

You'll often hear the triune mantra, "Higher Highlights, Deeper Shadows, Smoother Blends." I personally think the third part of that is the best place to focus for a new painter. Smaller brushstrokes when feathering highlights in, plus the application of glazes in your midtone, can help move you in that direction. You already have a good start, the big thing now is just to keep painting.

I'll also say, if you want to spend hours on these forums, be sure to visit the Work in Progress threads. There are some phenomenal artists on these boards, and many are incredibly giving of their knowledge. Corporea is a first-rate painter and her WiPs are usually very detailed; same goes for Kuro Cleanbrush. Guindyloo and Buglips are doing a joint WiP right now with some great process for new painters. Knarthex is doing a Demogorgon right now that looks awesome, and if you want to see some cool dioramas come together look for Ub3rN3rd's threads. I could name a hundred others (and I'll point at the links in my sig :ph34r: ).These are great for inspiration and for theory, since most forumites will be more than happy to answer any questions you have about their threads. Even if you think a technique is too advanced for you right now, I guarantee it's grounded in work that will help you no matter what level your painting is.

Of course, all the theory won't help unless you paint and post. If you want critical commentary, make sure you ask for it; we forumites love to play the cheerleader and will usually err on the side of 100% positive feedback unless a post specifies the desire for genuine critique.

Looking forward to seeing your work!

Thank you so much for the advice! I admit right now, I don't have much time for stalking works in progress, but come next semester I should be able to do as such. That's quite the list to keep an eye on! I really appreciate it. ^-^ I know a lot will be more advanced than my current state, but I can try any technique and maybe learn something even if I fail at it. 

I actually am working on a new project now. I just finished the sealer coat I didn't have time to do on Aeris here, and am moving on to some spiders. I

ll try a WIP for them even though they're just spiders, but it's worth a start! Thank you again so much! 

• Like 1

That's her FIRST mini?!? 

It's light years ahead of my first mini, too. Heck, my first several minis.

Very nice work!

• Thanks 2