• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kit

kit

The fine line between stupid and clever

• Super Administrators
  • 10040 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 10:00 PM

This particular section of the Reaper message Board is for people to show off their works in the world of miniatures and gain feedback if desired. Here are some things to keep in mind when using the Show-Off Forum.

All models that exist in one thread must be shown in the first post. New figs? New thread.

Acceptable Content
Remember, this is a family forum and to keep it such, please think about what you post. If your mini/sketch/picture has nudity please do not post the picture, instead provide a link to the picture and plenty of warning to the viewer. We will remove your images if you fail to comply with this. Additionally, censoring your images with black out strips (or any other option, such as Spoiler Tags) isn't allowed, they must be linked.

Posting Non-Reaper Figures
When you post in Show off, please use the topic title line for the name of your creation, and use the tags for the manufacturer. That way, you're descriptive and search-friendly at the same time while giving credit where it's due. Use Tags liberally, for manufacturer, name, part number, modifications done, etc. These help our members find your model!

Posting Reaper Figures
When you post in Show off, please use the topic title line for the part number AND name of your creation, and use the tags for the other descriptions. That way, you're descriptive and search-friendly at the same time while giving credit where it's due. Use Tags liberally, for description, modifications done, etc. These help our members find your model!

Uploading Images, Some Tips:
1. Stick with gifs and jpegs. Windows IE doesn't like png and Macs don't like bmp.
2. File size is limited to 150k. If you can't get your image down below 150k, ask around. There are a number of people who can probably help out around here.
3. Please keep 'em small (or smallish, anyway)... most folks are using modems to connect and a page full of 30 and 50k images is going to lead to significant load times. Just because you're allowed 150k doesn't mean you have to use all of it all the time. ik_wink.gif

Some Things to Remember Regarding Uploading:
1. Only use this feature to post images.
2. Don't try to use this to link to your offsite auctions or contests. This behavior will get you banned from the board permanently. No exceptions. (To over-explain, if you're potentially making money or winning prizes from your images, you can afford to get your own webspace.) I ask what I always ask folks: for them to use their judgment. If you can post an image and have others rate it for notoriety and fame, it's probably a good bet it counts as a contest.

Hope you enjoy this feature! Use it well.

Comments & Feedback

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
-Your Mother

This cliche doesn't mean, "If you have a negative opinion, keep it to yourself." Instead, it's an imperative toward constructive criticism. In an ideal situation, you offer something nice before you offer something negative, and if you can't think of anything nice you keep the negative to yourself because pure negative criticism isn't constructive. You have to build and stabilize on a good foundation before you can withstand the buffeting.

While we would like to see clear constructive criticism, we understand that people have their own thresholds and modes of expression. With that in mind, we offer the following do's and dont's:

DO offer praise.
DO offer advice and suggestions.
DO ask "how did you do that?"
DO lurk and never post any feedback at all.
DO NOT flame or troll.

Constructive criticism builds community. Negativism destroys community. Please keep that in mind. Nobody needs to use any specific format when posting. However, be mindful if you post a negative comment that it might inflame. If it does, try your best to put out the fires, or take it to PM or e-mail. Remember, comments in email and message boards are easy to misconstrue. Everybody needs to take a few minutes and calm down after reading a potentially inflammatory post before they reply, and above all try to give the person the benefit of the doubt. We're all good people here. Mean people tend to leave this community pretty fast. If you're here, that means you're probably a pretty good egg.

Article(thread) on giving & receiving criticism was previously a pinned topic.

Learn well from one another. We look forward to the many contributions to come!

kit

(Figured it was time to consolidate a number of sticky topics into one spot. The text above is gleaned from several different sources.)

Edited by Reaperbryan, 25 July 2014 - 02:07 PM.
Clarified some policies to update to the current version of the board software, including Topic Tags

• Citrine, Pingo, ArgyleSocksPDX and 1 other like this

“If you asked people in 1989 what they needed to make their life better, it was unlikely that they would have said that a decentralized network of information nodes that are linked using hypertext.” - Sep Kamvar

#2 dargrin

dargrin

Misunderstood Jubilex

• GM
  • 4178 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 03:13 PM

DO NOT flame or troll.

:huh:

I am not sure what this means. Can you clearify?

I was notified today by Tyler that I was a Blue Doink

Posted Image No EBAY auctions

#3 Cerridwyn1st

Cerridwyn1st

Godlike

• Black Lightning
  • 1432 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 03:54 PM

DO NOT flame or troll.

:huh:

I am not sure what this means. Can you clearify?

Flaming means posting an offensive message that is sure to incite a vindictive response. Saying something mean just for spite.

Not sure what he means by trolling, unless it's in the sense of trolling for business. In other words, using the Show Off section as a back-door way to publize painting services or an ebay sale.

#4 Froggy the Great

Froggy the Great

Apostrophe Ninja

• 16805 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 05:02 PM

I've always understood trolling to be making comments designed to start a fight.

"You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up."

Gallery of Froggyness

irc.sorcery.net #reaper

Wonderland No More

#5 MamaGeek

MamaGeek

Godlike

• Members
  • 2123 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

May I suggest that folks try to use the Reaper image upload feature wherever possible, instead of linking to an offsite storage?  Those images don't always show up for everyone (like me!), but I know if I can get to the Reaper forums, I can view images uploaded to them.  Also, offsite urls may change or go away, and older threads may lose their photos!

• Darius Glenwell and ub3r_n3rd like this
Posted Image
Proud Member of WAMP

#6 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 9473 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

Attention: Edits have been made to the guidelines.  Please check and be sure that all future posts and topics are compliant with our guidelines.

• Citrine, Pingo and KruleBear like this

bryan@reapermini.com This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

#7 Sanael

Sanael

God among Kender and Kobolds

• Bones Supporter
  • 2071 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

What about the currently pinned index thread in the show-off forum (my post there is linked in my sig)? Is that thread no longer acceptable/will it be leaving?

Edited by ladystorm, 29 July 2014 - 06:45 AM.
removed incorrect information

• Pingo likes this

Index of my Show-Off minis.

My sporadic workbench. Right now: Dwarfs. 35 pts of Legion of Everblight (21/35 complete, 1 warlock). RP Draconians Box Set.

Why yes, that is a Kaladrax on my shoulder. Why do you ask?

#8 ladystorm

ladystorm

Reaper Mom

• Super Administrators
  • 7307 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

What about the currently pinned index thread in the show-off forum (my post there is linked in my sig)? Is that thread no longer acceptable/will it be leaving?

That thread is not going anywhere.  It is still acceptable and encouraged.

Efficiency is intelligent laziness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users