kristof65

28mm Sci-Fi Skirmish Games?

It's been 6 years since I last played a sci-fi table top game in 28mm.  Wondering what is out there BESIDES 40k these days? What are you playing and/or what do you recommend?

My favorite in the past were 40k 2e and Necromunda.  I prefer more skirmish level, and capable of handling multiple players/sides. 

Edited by kristof65

Rogue Stars from Osprey. 3-5 characters per side, written by Andrea Sfiligoi (so mechanics somewhat related to Song of Blades and Heroes). Feels kind of like Traveller as a skirmish minis game.

If you're interested in small-unit military games, where a vehicle or squad is the maneuver element, there are several other recent choices. (Depending on definitions, those could also qualify as "skirmish" games.)

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  I should have mentioned that I'd like something that is more generic. I want something that I can use my NOVA and IMEF figures, as well as my old GW Imperial Guard figures.  Most of the games I'll be playing will be me hosting scenario based games for 3-4 teenage boys using my minis. 

Darsc - I don't suppose you know if Deadzone has a quick rules or anything to check out online?

jsalyers - I saw that.  It looks like they're re-releasing it as a board game though. Is my impression correct? 

Doug - Rogue Stars sounds like something to look into. I like Andrea's games - currently using Song of Blades & Heroes for Fantasy games. Does it handle vehicles? 

Lars - I'm aware of Infinity, watched several games being played at my previous FLGS.  I don't much care for the aesthetics or the rules

I had been going to suggest Star Wars: Legion, but that's not very generic (although there's nothing to say you couldn't be representing forces from non-Empire worlds) and won't be coming out til 2018.

You might be able to find some "Savage Worlds" products as well.  I haven't played any, but I've generally heard good things about the system.

29 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Darsc - I don't suppose you know if Deadzone has a quick rules or anything to check out online?

I'm sorry I don't know for sure but Mantic had made many of their rulesets available online previously, even if it's just a quick play or basic version to get the feel of the rules, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Be aware though that Deadzone is in its second edition, so make sure you get the current rules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

jsalyers - I saw that.  It looks like they're re-releasing it as a board game though. Is my impression correct? 

Doug - Rogue Stars sounds like something to look into. I like Andrea's games - currently using Song of Blades & Heroes for Fantasy games. Does it handle vehicles? 

The Necromunda boxed set is more like a board game, and is accompanied by the Gang War book which includes 3D terrain and campaign rules.

Rogue Stars is strictly 3-5 characters per squad and doesn't have vehicle rules. Andrea is working on a game called Harder Than Steel which was previously slated for release this year, but is being delayed until they've finished releasing what they want to for the Star Eagles game. It will be able to handle vehicles and squads at an army size similar to 2nd edition 40K.

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

As @Dai-Mongar noted, no vehicles in Rogue Stars. But the character design section is complex enough for most sorts of things you would want to create. Higher lethality for characters than I would prefer and experience is pretty slow, so I don't know that you would see anything like the character advancement you see in Frostgrave, for instance.

On 13.11.2017 at 4:39 AM, Lars Porsenna said:

Take a look at Infinity. Figures are gorgeous for the most part. There is also a 28mm Star Wars game coming out too.

Damon.

If Infinity is considered a skirmish game, then I would also vote for it. It may not have a integrated turn, but the ARO system is brilliant and has both players engaged, even on the other players turn.

Mantic does have starter rules on their site in PDF. Home -> free rules

Tomorrow's war, by ambush alley. It doesn't have a point system, but does have vehicles. It's officially a 15mm system but there are 25mm optional rules.

Edited by Club

7 hours ago, Club said:

Mantic does have starter rules on their site in PDF. Home -> free rules

Tomorrow's war, by ambush alley. It doesn't have a point system, but does have vehicles. It's officially a 15mm system but there are 25mm optional rules.

Thanks.  I found & downloaded the Mantic rules earlier - not my cup of tea. 

I'll look into Tomorrow's War. 

Majestic 12 Games Defiance: Vital Ground has a pretty good "build your own" set of rules, but you would have to buy them to see them.

However, they have a set of Demo Rules to download that is almost the complete ruleset (doesn't include the optional rules from the book).

The supplement Defiance: Evolution of Arms refigures point costs from open field to tunnel fighting.

http://www.mj12games.com/defiance/

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Inarah
      <<<MOD>>>
      Link to the Live Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dgsgames/eclipse-sisterhood-freeblades-fantasy-miniatures?ref=category_newest

From DGS Games,

"We will launch the Eclipse Sisterhood kickstarter campaign on the afternoon of February 14th 2017.

This project will produce the six core models of the faction: leader, caster, two heroes and two followers. And as many stretches as our fans help us reach! For the Traazorites, that was four models. Let's show the Empire these fierce women can do even better!"

• By Jasonator
      Kathud !!!
      I finished another Dark Sword Miniature this afternoon.  I got some upsetting news, so I painted it off, intead
      of letting it bother me.  So, with that said... This is a HEAP OF FUN to paint.  I actually did it twice.  When I looked at number 1
      I liked it, but it was boring.  So I got out the paints AGAIN, and figured out another paint scheme.  I based my second set of painting
      on "Night Watch", and that is what is here.  Very complicated Sculpt to paint, and get into.  Multi level highlighting also makes the
      brush work that more complicated.  28mm is SMALL, so keep tips well pointed !  
      Do have fun, its worth it on this one.

Comments (negative or positive) are greatly appreciated !
      Here he is:
      Jay 

• By dks
      I've been on a painting tear since ReaperCon.  Here's one from last week. 
      Pathfinder's "Iron Gods" Adventure Path crosses over into science fiction, including robots and androids, such as the android priestess Meyanda.
      Wayne Reynolds painted the cover of the Adventure Path where Meyanda appears: click for link.
      Bobby Jackson sculpted the character.  I like what he did with this delicate sculpt.

I decided to give her a sci-fi-styled base, not my usual rock/grass/leaf palette. 
      I started with a piece of plasticard shaped like square floor-tiles, gouged out some scratches, and added some debris (a robotic "piston" of two brass rods, a "cable" of brass wire, and a few chunks of rubble that I carved from the plasticard).

Enjoy,
      Derek

• By Jasonator
      I have been threatening to finish Zoe The Golden Retriever sometime this week. 
      Last nights sixteen degrees F provided the impetus !  I was too cold to sleep well.
      So Here is ZOE.  This is a beautiful, soul full piece to work on.  Capturing the emotion in
      that small face, getting everything painted and mounted proved quite the challenge to me.
      In the end Zoe was a real treat to do.  Not that often I really get into a feeling level while painting
      a miniature.  Mr. Summers must have had a beautiful and loving companion in Zoe, it came through
      the Sculpt !  Hope I did it Justice.

Let me know what you think of my efforts on this mini please !
      Jay

• By dks
      I like to speed-paint. 
      This past year, I spent a lot more time on other projects and didn't do much painting, but I got in a few rounds of speed-painting at KublaCon (in May) and at Origins (in June).
      I don't know why I didn't post these photos months ago, but here they are now.

At KublaCon, the speed-painters get to use sets of about 30 little plastic pots of craft paint, like you might find in a paint-by numbers kit -- joined in rows of sprue with flip-off lids, and all set into a routed piece of plywood. 
      I don't know who makes the paints.  The range of colors is pretty good, but some colors just don't cover well.

KublaCon first qualifying round:  big medieval zombie.  45 minutes.
      Man, was I rusty.  I didn't have a strong idea about the colors, other than green skin, for whatever reason.
      David Diamondstone was in this heat with me, and he won.  He pointed out that my paint-job was too clean for a zombie, and he was right.  His version had more dirt and blood.  I stole that for my next figure.
      (David has won the KublaCon painting contest, and gold medals and Sophie Trophies at ReaperCon.  Check out his work in the ReaperCon galleries if you haven't already.)
      I painted a second coat of black around the edge of the base.

KublaCon second qualifying round: modern zombie.  45 minutes. 
      Win!
      It had less surface area than the first zombie, which meant more time per square millimeter and a more deliberate paint job. 
      I had a better plan for the skin -- deep purple shadows, then green-and-pale highlights, plus zombie-riffic blood and bone -- then thought about the rest of the colors while my hand was putting on that paint.
      I also painted a second coat of black around the edge of the base.

I couldn't attend the final round of speed-painting because I was running a game at that time.

Three weeks later, at Origins, Reaper's own LadyStorm was running the speed-painting tournament.
      The paints were a 12 Reaper paints (black, white, red, yellow, green, blue, purple, brown, Tanned Skin, silver, gold, and ... I don't remember the 12th color).

Origins qualifying round: a Bones sci-fi trooper.  Small and simple.  45 minutes. 
      Win!
      Three lines of freehand on the chest make for a basic rank insignia.
      I haven't done any more painting on him beyond those 45 minutes.

Origins semi-final round: Bones deva (#77363).  45 minutes, maybe 50.  We all thought it was a cruel joke to give us such a big figure.  Cruel yes, but no joke.
      Still... win!
      I got at least one coat of paint on almost every surface.  (Those few feathers behind the shield eluded me.  Because this was the flexible Bones plastic, I could pull the wings back to paint their inner surfaces.)
      I started with the wings: brown at the base and wet-blended to Tanned Skin.  If you squint hard enough, they actually look OK.
      I chose the aqua-green skin and yellow-gold sword to fit the image of a planetar angel from D&D.
      I haven't done any extra painting on this one, either, but I'm wondering how much better it would look after another 45 minutes!

Final Round: we had our choice of 2 figures -- a bigger hippo-man or a smaller rhino-man.  Both will be part of the Bones 3 release.  60 minutes.
      I chose the hippo because I had a vision of the gray and brown-pink skin gradations, but I couldn't do them as smoothly as I imagined. 
      Not a win, but still fun.
      I think his big mouth and teeth turned out well, and his bright tropical fruits look yummy.  No further painting on him.

Thanks for looking.
      Derek

• Who's Online   44 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)