kristof65

28mm Sci-Fi Skirmish Games?

On 12/6/2017 at 2:44 PM, Froggy the Great said:

I just got the urge to pick up work on FUBAR Heroes again.  I'd love it if someone else wanted to try it too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13XiP6rgNHV6PB3EeghW9nguRfjD5VYGM/view?usp=sharing

You can do roughly 8-12 figures in 1200 pts.

I'll check it out. 

On 12/6/2017 at 2:48 PM, Jeneki said:

For 28mm scifi games, I kinda miss the late 90s - early 2000s.  There was a local place that stocked a good variety including 40k, Vor, Warzone, Void, etc.  I really liked Warzone due to how it emphasized guns, some of the fed-up-with-40k people were pushing Void as the "fixed" version, and a bunch of painters were really into Vor's Neo-Soviets and Growlers.  Good times!

Vor and Void both looked like they had potential, but never really caught on. Shame, really.   If Kickstarter had been around back then...

On 12/9/2017 at 4:02 AM, Club said:

https://shop.groundzerogames.co.uk/rules.html

Here's another one, stargrunt. No point values, but vehicle rules included; token intensive.

Is Stargrunt still around? 
The last couple of times I tried to find anything by GZG, their website was down, though that was a few years back.   I haven't played Stargrunt since that one time in the late 90s. I don't even remember if I liked it or not. 

On 12/9/2017 at 11:38 AM, Froggy the Great said:

I've got a friend working on a miniatures game version of Fate.

Ugh, Fate.  

29 minutes ago, Chrome said:

Have you considered Imperial Assault? They finally released the App for it so you can play it co-op now w/out one guy having to play the bad guy. My group is going to start a campaign after Christmas. We played thru two Descent campaigns using the original version of the FFG app and had a great time.

I haven't looked specifically at Imperial Assault, but FFG's X-Wing was too big of a money pit for me - I presumed that Imperial Assault would be no different. 

I'd suggest taking a look at Nordic Weasel Games, which is actually a rather large portfolio of assorted rules from a one-man-band:

http://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games

http://fivemennormandy.blogspot.com

I haven't tried the skirmish oriented science-fi rules, but I was looking around quite a bit for element based Sci-Fi rules that would work for my 15mm stuff for a couple platoons. That search was completed when I got Nordic Weasel's Five Core Company Command rules, which are quite elegant, intuitive, simple and tactically satisfying. I then bought the Beta rules for the upcoming fantasy mass battle game (An Orc Too Far) which is also really tight.

You don't want to use Company Command for skirmish and it's rather bewildering when seeing just how many rule sets are available from the one publishers there, but probably Five Parsecs From Home would be the place to start. the second edition just came out and the author notes on his blog that Haven't tried them myself as I don't have skirmish based Sci-Fi-Fi figures, but "So Five Parsecs From Home is basically the single best-selling thing I ever did." I really doubt you spend the $7.99 and come away disappointed. 

Anyway, Good luck with it!

On 12/12/2017 at 2:39 PM, kristof65 said:

Is Stargrunt still around? 
The last couple of times I tried to find anything by GZG, their website was down, though that was a few years back.   I haven't played Stargrunt since that one time in the late 90s. I don't even remember if I liked it or not. 

Free PDF on the website, as are the rules for Dirtside and Full Thrust.

11 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Free PDF on the website, as are the rules for Dirtside and Full Thrust.

I saw that. Downloaded, now just need to print, bind and review. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Froggy the Great said:

I've updated FUBAR Heroes so hopefully the suppression makes more sense.

FUBAR-Heroes_v2017-12-15_01.pdf

Thanks - but I get this:

Sorry, there is a problem

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account.

Error code: 2C171/1

On 12/12/2017 at 3:39 PM, kristof65 said:

I'll check it out. 

Vor and Void both looked like they had potential, but never really caught on. Shame, really.   If Kickstarter had been around back then...

I haven't looked specifically at Imperial Assault, but FFG's X-Wing was too big of a money pit for me - I presumed that Imperial Assault would be no different. 

Well Vor died simply b/c FASA went out of business and nobody wanted to buy it. I thought I read a year ago or so that one of the creators was bringing it back or trying to buy it or something.

I always liked following Void but never played it. There was a fan site that had a good group of members that talked a lot and did their own online campaign. It just never caught on w/the mainstream.

As for IA, yes there is a lot of stuff, but the good part is that you don't have to buy it all like X-Wing. (At least if you're not playing the skirmish mode at tournaments.) There is an interface in the App where you check all of the products that you own, then the App knows what pieces it can and can't include in your game. So when you start a campaign it asks you which 2-4 heroes you want to use and only the ones that you actually own are available. Then during the campaign it will only use monsters/Imperials from the sets you own, map tiles from your sets, unique Villains from your sets, etc.

It's a safe bet to say that the IA App will work pretty much the same way that the Descent App does, which was that the first couple of App campaigns they released were free and only required you to own the core Descent box. The campaigns consisted of 6-8 storyline quests with 1-2 optional quests in between each story quest. The tiles and primary monsters used in all of the quests only came from the core box, but if you owned extra Descent sets they would include the monsters from those when selecting secondary monsters for a quest. This mixed things up when you wanted to replay a campaign. For the 2nd Campaign, they actually took things further and added more random/optional quests based on what you owned outside of the core set. This was good b/c it added even more variety.

It was only after the app's 3rd release that they created a campaign that required you to own a non-core box in order to play it. 

Anyways, if you want to get an idea of how it works, the app is free so you can go download it and just walk thru the included mini-campaign to see what it is. You don't need to own the physical product to get an idea of how the app works to control mobs, etc. (You can get it on Android or iOS, and even Steam if you want to see it on a bigger screen.)

Edited by Chrome
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

Thanks - but I get this:

Sorry, there is a problem

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account.

Error code: 2C171/1

And now I know that file attachment doesn't work.  Try this instead, the 2017-12-15_01 version:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6HUGmJgXqKHMmJSNVhCYm5wSnM

• Like 1

So  I went all in on that Core Space. They even gave out ways to make your own characters... I'm going to make Jedi and Sith. ::):::D: 

• Like 2

On 12/27/2017 at 9:07 PM, Arc 724 said:

So  I went all in on that Core Space. They even gave out ways to make your own characters... I'm going to make Jedi and Sith. ::):::D: 

I wish I had known this. The only thing that turned me off were their characters. :mellow:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chrome said:

I wish I had known this. The only thing that turned me off were their characters. :mellow:

I'd keep track of it, they may have a buy during the pledge manager stage or something.

I got an email from Ganesha games today that said, among other things, that Harder Than Steel is coming "for real this time" in 2018. I'll be hanging out for that, what I've heard sounds very promising.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2017 at 9:58 PM, Dai-Mongar said:

I got an email from Ganesha games today that said, among other things, that Harder Than Steel is coming "for real this time" in 2018. I'll be hanging out for that, what I've heard sounds very promising.

How did you get on that email list?

5 hours ago, kristof65 said:

How did you get on that email list?

That's a pretty good question, and I think it's because I bought some PDFs direct from Ganesha a few years back. I just get emails from Andrea every now and then.

Speaking of Ganesha and sci fi skirmish games, I've ordered a book copy of Mutants and Death Ray Guns from book depository which should be turning up soon. Sounds like it could be fun, but only half a dozen minis or so per side so not sure if it's relevant to your interests.