pikammd

First Shot at Spiders

I have three little spiders and a handful of ideas. Let's see what happens! 

*These are my first spiders and only my second ever Minis. Any suggestions/critiques would be well appreciated! 

ezimba16362820660300.jpg

Update: Did some rough painting. I'm keeping them messy because most spiders aren't perfect, but both that I've done some work on feel unfinished. If anyone has some helpful hints/ideas/options or overall critique, I'd love to hear it! 

ezimba16362833817100.jpg

Final product! Thanks for the help everyone!

ezimba16362859823300.jpg

Edited by pikammd
Update
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Find some real spider pictures to base yours off, perhaps?

I actually have a few I'm going to base off of, more or less. One will be a white/pink sort of cave spider, and another hopefully a very pretty blue/purple/black, and the last, maybe a commonish brown of some sort. I'm still deciding. 

• Like 2

Went for a messy look on this one, since most spiders have imperfect colorations. Honestly neither spider is that good, but it IS awfully late here. Forgive me. I'd still love critiques and maybe advice on making these two better. Third one is untouched still. 

ezimba16362831591000.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, pikammd said:

Update: Got one a little further. It's missing something, but I'm not sure what. 

ezimba16362881074300.jpg

The patterning is super awesome! Your precision is fantastic!

It is missing shading and highlighting though. For a quick and dirty way to shade it, brush some Citadel -----somethingadjective---- Earthshade "Shade" paint onto it. The spider will get more brown, but the wash will go in the nooks and crannies. Shading and highlighting will make surfaces appear less flat (they aren't flat, but our eyes get stupid on small scale, so we fake the lighting effects). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

It is missing shading and highlighting though. For a quick and dirty way to shade it, brush some Citadel -----somethingadjective---- Earthshade "Shade" paint onto it. The spider will get more brown, but the wash will go in the nooks and crannies. Shading and highlighting will make surfaces appear less flat (they aren't flat, but our eyes get stupid on small scale, so we fake the lighting effects). 

Thank you! I'm lucky to have a steady hand. ^-^ 

Duh! Such a simple thing for me to space off! That's what I get for staying up late. XD Thank you for pointing that out to me. I'll be sure to work on shading. I believe I have  something that can do about what you said. For tonight though, I may call it and finish it tomorrow. 

• Like 2

I like them!

The blue one is my favorite!

As Cyradis stated, highlights and shadows to create depth is what you need.

I paint a lot of animals and I always use pictures from the real thing for reference.

Nature has some amazing colors and patterns.

Look at pics of tropical spiders and use a few of those.

Or since it is fantasy, take a reptile or bird color and transfer it to a spider.

Have fun, keep up the good work and show us your minis..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

14 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I like them!

The blue one is my favorite!

As Cyradis stated, highlights and shadows to create depth is what you need.

I paint a lot of animals and I always use pictures from the real thing for reference.

Nature has some amazing colors and patterns.

Look at pics of tropical spiders and use a few of those.

Or since it is fantasy, take a reptile or bird color and transfer it to a spider.

Have fun, keep up the good work and show us your minis..

Thanks again, both of you! I've got another update on this triad of weblings. The shading on the white one is better although since I don't have a light colored wash, I lost some of the white to my spid, but the off-white still looks good, I think. And he doesn't look quite so flat anymore. I may do my gloss sealer so he'll look like he crawled out of a wet cave. 

The blue one I think is also my favorite, but I'm biased towards my favorite color. :B): The blends on him turned out pretty good, in my opinion. 

I added a little more color to the brown (some blue/green/white highlights/shadows) and gave him actual eyes, but I think I'll leave him rather plain as he is. He's pretty cute that way. 

ezimba16362829533600.jpg

• Like 6

Well done!

Are you going to base them?

I always love a well based mini.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

Well done!

Are you going to base them?

I always love a well based mini.

I'm afraid I don't actually have bases. I'm working off a limited supply of paints, minis, and a few brushes my boyfriend's mom gave me last week, and that's all. I'm new and haven't had the time to get a full supply of stuff, so for now, they're unbased. However, since I don't have much belly paint on these guys, I plan on getting them bases eventually. Probably something rocky like from a cave. I love cave spiders so much. :3 That'll be a little ways in the future though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pikammd said:

I'm afraid I don't actually have bases. I'm working off a limited supply of paints, minis, and a few brushes my boyfriend's mom gave me last week, and that's all. I'm new and haven't had the time to get a full supply of stuff, so for now, they're unbased. However, since I don't have much belly paint on these guys, I plan on getting them bases eventually. Probably something rocky like from a cave. I love cave spiders so much. :3 That'll be a little ways in the future though. 

I don't know where you live, but you might want to look at the ground.

Sometimes you can find nice flat rocks/pebbles that can be used as a base. ( make sure to clean it all of course)

Maybe small pieces of wood or stuff leftover from flower arrangements etc.

As for flock, I have good results by taking a bag of unused tea and glue the tea with PVA to a little base.

You can also base on old pennies and such.

Maybe a piece of styrofoam etc etc..

Be creative.

You don't always have to buy stuff.

Look at this forum.

There are threads about basing and using all kinds of stuff that wasn't meant for it at first.

Of course, if you get the chance, invest in a bag of cheap bases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I don't know where you live, but you might want to look at the ground.

Sometimes you can find nice flat rocks/pebbles that can be used as a base. ( make sure to clean it all of course)

Maybe small pieces of wood or stuff leftover from flower arrangements etc.

As for flock, I have good results by taking a bag of unused tea and glue the tea with PVA to a little base.

You can also base on old pennies and such.

Maybe a piece of styrofoam etc etc..

Be creative.

You don't always have to buy stuff.

Look at this forum.

There are threads about basing and using all kinds of stuff that wasn't meant for it at first.

Of course, if you get the chance, invest in a bag of cheap bases.

Part of the problem is these are going to be used in actual gameplay so it can't be a super heavy base, and it's also 2AM (too lazy to get up at this point) and I have no glue. xD But I can walmart that easy enough. 

But I do have some really neat paper I may use on the next paint. It's reflective and really pretty, and I fell in love with this spider, so a shiny base would be awesome for it! 

Image result for cool spiders

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe on my way to class tomorrow, I'll find something neat. For now though, these guys are just going to be without a base. Temporarily, of course. ;)

• Like 3

Well, my sealer semi screwed up the blue spider, but overall, I can't complain too much. I was able to fix most of it. Once they dry, I'll post a final picture. 

• Like 1

If you can invest in a bottle of Reaper Brush on Sealer you will have a reliable sealer.

Spray Sealers are ok but be aware of temperature and humidity which can affect the outcome.

• Like 2