lowlylowlycook

Anyone else digging the new Oathmark plastics as much as I am

15 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Anyone know of some orcs on wolves/wargs that would go with the Oathmark goblins?    

If you wait long enough, the manufacturer all but confirmed that warg-riding gobbos are in the works.

Damon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like how those turned out. Good to know the arms match with other kits so well. 

• Like 1

A couple of the straightish armis might be slightly better if you sawed them then glued them right back together just to remove a mm or so.    But they're not bad.

Another scale question:

Is the GW Hobbit troll too big?   Do people like the ogres better?

IMG_20171228_164105.thumb.jpg.020c43e5c9069db7c2816f474555d58e.jpg

I mean he's really big.  But GW's Tolkein line isn't exactly subject to scale creep.

Also "halfling thief" yields surprisingly few minis on reaper's search engine.

• Like 2

I've done the sawing thing with some GW human arms to put them on dwarves so it wouldn't be a big deal. I've also done some slightly wonky kit bashes from using various historical, Frostgrave and GW parts together. Once they're painted they don't look as awkward. Lately I've gotten more kits that matched better and with lots of variety so I'm considering ripping the arms off some of the worst.

What would you want to use the troll as? He looks almost small giant sized but everybody's got different ideas of how big things should be. I personally really like those Bones ogres. When I got them I didn't really even think about them. Then I painted one as a gift and got to like them. Considering getting more to make a usable sized unit for the games I play but it's way down on the may do list.

• Like 1

afaik, there are a couple of different troll sizes for GW's LotR lines. The first cave troll fit on a 40mm base and was a little bigger than those ogres. So I guess that troll is great if you're supposed to have a big troll.

Here are the Oathmark elves

Oathmark-Elves.jpg.e5730c7db8b0910333607b4075ec667a.jpg

I don't think they really stand out as elves and I already have elves and have elves coming in from Last Sword.

But does anyone think they mign make decent gondorian soldiers?

• Like 3

The one on the far right is definitely an elf.

The others could be human, no problemo.

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Elves are due out in April. "High" rather than the "Forest" I would vote for, but I'm sure I get a box or two.

And there are rumours of a dragon... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Here are the Oathmark elves

Oathmark-Elves.jpg.e5730c7db8b0910333607b4075ec667a.jpg

I don't think they really stand out as elves and I already have elves and have elves coming in from Last Sword.

But does anyone think they mign make decent gondorian soldiers?

Oops, slow again...

At least I can show the rather nice metal dwarf command unit:

img11147.jpg.27399a2cdb876d442e2e757efde83ebe.jpg 

And a rotten picture of the dragon;

Wyrm1.thumb.jpg.38d00c1a512b1760b6c9c9b2e546abd5.jpg

• Like 4

I think the new elfs look awesome & can't wait for them to come out! Was just working on some dwarfs tonite in fact...

I've seen the dragon before and am not super impressed. Can't knock every one out of the park. That being said, it fits with Oathmark's more traditional "low fantasy" & Tolkien-esque aesthetic. I'll probably pick one up at some point, if only to encourage this line more...

Damon.

• Like 1

I've been watching the Frostgrave, Oathmark, and Ghost Archipelago lines semi-closely.

I will say that I'm not a fan of the elves.  To my mind, they should be more "flowy."  Maybe if they had a tabard or other covering over the chainmail...

The wyrm is, IMO, not so good.  It's big, clunky, and rather static from the pictures I've seen.  It's just sitting there going "Jump in my mouth, 'cause I can't chase you down to eat you."  Just off-setting the legs a bit more would help, as would curling the neck and tail a bit.

• Like 1

Of all the Oathmark/Frostgrave plastic sets my favourite by a long way are the cultists: Running around waving big, impractical weapons and wearing face-covering masks while trying to aim a bow. You can just see that they are meant for the Hollywood Hero (TM) to knock over in droves. 

• Like 5

I've painted 4 of the goblins so far and I like them. I've only assembled 1 of the dwarves but they are exactly what I want for dwarves. I've got a bunch of GW dwarves and these fit well enough to be a separate unit in the same army. Wish this set had been available 10 years ago. The elves are nice but not high on my list of things to get right now. I'm interested in what the rules will be like. Not really in the market for a mass fantasy game but considering how much I like Frostgrave it should be worth a look.

• Like 3

It occurred to me that those elves could also make a good militia unit wen mixed in with some more elaborately equipped warriors.

[edit]  Also wouldn't mind some scale shots with those guys with other manufacturer's elves and with the other oathsworn races.

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 2