lowlylowlycook

Anyone else digging the new Oathmark plastics as much as I am

The Oathmark Humans and the fantasy humans that Fireforge are Kickstarting seem just fine but neither really screams LotR and especially not Gondor.

What do people think of using these Fireforge Byzantines for Gondorian soldiers?

byzantine-spearmen.jpg.24fd0f4ad43a73f36cf38ae3d3e62a9e.jpg

• Like 2

It seems like they are a lot harder to find this year, compared to last year.

The Oathsworn models haven't appeared at most of my online stops.

The Auld Grump

On 9/11/2018 at 4:00 PM, lowlylowlycook said:

The Oathmark Humans and the fantasy humans that Fireforge are Kickstarting seem just fine but neither really screams LotR and especially not Gondor.

What do people think of using these Fireforge Byzantines for Gondorian soldiers?

byzantine-spearmen.jpg.24fd0f4ad43a73f36cf38ae3d3e62a9e.jpg

I’d use then for Gondorians without hesitation...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Picked up the new LotR box here are a couple comparison shots 

Scale_shot_1.thumb.jpg.b383ae201b38dda62ec59fcc30a550d6.jpg

Bright Green = Mantic

Unpainted=Games Workshop

Ocher = Oathmark

Scale_shot_2.thumb.jpg.5b040b20b0d9376e1704df45be39e377.jpg

Metal = Footsore

Plastic = Games Workshop

• Like 5

Been awhile since I got anything from Northstar. I'll been in for the female plastics and need to get a look at what else is up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Nickstarter for female Frostgrave models begins tomorrow.

The Auld Grump - Hell, yeah!

Do you know what the usual turn-around time is on a Nickstarter?  The female soldiers have me intrigued.

• Like 1

If I remember right it's usually a few weeks to pledge/buy stuff and then shipping starts almost immediately after it ends. You won't be waiting months or years to get them. I was in on some of the early Frostgrave and Oathmark dwarves Nickstarters. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zink said:

If I remember right it's usually a few weeks to pledge/buy stuff and then shipping starts almost immediately after it ends. You won't be waiting months or years to get them. I was in on some of the early Frostgrave and Oathmark dwarves Nickstarters. 

You hear that, wallet?!

It's pain time!

• Haha 3

Uhhh, those seem nice. I liked the look of Soldiers I (but they were out of stock when I needed them, and I filled that gap differently, and somehow never came back to buying them), but those female soldiers are even more tempting.

I like that they look just as armed & dangerous as the their male counterparts. They are fully dressed and don't have pesky hair flying everywhere, which is nice.

Question for the people here who already have Northstar plastics: how do they compare in terms of size to Reaper miniatures? Somehow it's stuck in my head that they are quite a bit smaller.

• Like 2

http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2016/04/quick-size-comparison-forstgrave.html

There are more references out there.  But I think that the takeaway is that, generally, Bones minis are larger.  Some guy by the name of @Chris Palmer seems to be the source of that blog (credit where credit is due).

Edited by strawhat
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Northstar minis are made to fit with the various 28mm historical sets. Reaper's tend to be quite a bit larger although it can vary a lot. One thing I've done to blur the size difference is use the thicker bases from Reaper and GW for the Frostgrave minis and the thin Frostgrave bases for the taller/bigger minis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

And I got the Nickstarter email now. I'll be in for the female soldiers and Maze of Melcor book. I'm waffling about the wizards because I already have a bunch I'm not using. Will probably get them just because it is a hefty savings and I like half of them.

• Like 2