72moonglum

Grenadier Elf (or maybe Halfelf)fighter from Today and Yesteryear

So here is another one in my little series of old and new. I was actually going to post this yesterday as well, but I didn't have a good front shot.

So this is a Grenadier Elf or Half Elf fighter, from their twenty-piece woodlands adventure box.  I painted this figure way back in the eighties to be one of my player characters Renny back in the day when we played D&D at Star Realm in Omaha. Back then there was a buy named Bill if I remember correctly from Offutt who was our DM, another guy, I think Roy, and then another random assortment of teenagers.

5a11a6a7c1bdd_renny1.JPG.c1eb51260f74de7962dfa42288930010.JPGRenny.JPG.f5fbd2d0d2216b31d39662e850c2b89f.JPG

and a shot from behind, where you'll see there's lots of grass stuck to the base. I think I just didn't wait long enough for his sealant on the base to dry before I stuck him into the grass. I always paint the base black again and then seal, because I will have ultimately made a mess all over the base while painting it.  Not too worried though, these are being painted just for fun. 

5a11a6f696c3a_Renny11.JPG.ada00e05a201d3ca7538ee673f313bc2.JPG5a11a6ff80f1d_Renny13.JPG.8c7b437a2794492f3eccc3895b157a29.JPG

and here's the front shot I was missing yesterday, where you can see a bit of difference in the shield and face:

5a11a72096aaa_Renny6.JPG.b2ca05f958f84c6f9d5da8d2db1c43f3.JPG5a11a7289c15e_Renny7.JPG.dac938a43adac958190f58ca1fcdea36.JPG

and then just some shots of them in the same photo:

5a11a74523ec9_Renny9.JPG.1c26a9bf48e29fb02c0df157ca008df2.JPGrenny5.JPG.8dca591fa34e42ba433526e93bd3d4da.JPG5a11a75a3778a_Renny8.JPG.94f9bc00c553f27c3761c328d9b04f02.JPG

So there you have them, a small journey into my adolescent past, up to my current almost 50 year old self, who as per my beautiful wife, is still probably somehow stuck back in the past with my fascination for "muñequitos".  Like I mentioned in my previous posts I've got a few more of these yet to be started, that I'll probably do when I'm "between projects". 

Anyhoos, enjoy!

• Like 19

This is really great!  Your work has come a long ways but that's not to say the original was bad at all. Although the original on this one looks a little shocked or frightened because of his eyes!  Great work!

35 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

This is really great!  Your work has come a long ways but that's not to say the original was bad at all. Although the original on this one looks a little shocked or frightened because of his eyes!  Great work!

Thanks very much!  Yes, my eye painting technique wasn't too advanced back then.  It used to just be paint the whites, then some color of dot in the middle if you could hit it and I always did the eyes as the very last thing on the miniature. Nowadays I do the walnut brown dot, then white over it, then walnut brown dot, then if I can a color dot over the walnut brown.

The crazy and odd thing is that back then I thought I was doing a pretty awesome job, which as I look back I've certainly improved, but at this moment when I think I'm doing a "pretty awesome job", how colored is that with my own skewed self-conception of the work I do? One always improves, can always do better, and always seems to find a way to enjoy ones own work I guess and is blinded by ones own parameters. If in 30 more years if I'm still painting or even alive, how would that miniature thirty years hence compare to what I've just finished?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lucian523 said:

Very cool thread, thank you for sharing, your originals look very good for starting out.

Thanks very much Lucian! Those were towards the beginning of my painting interests, probably was 12-16 years old when I started painting, dropped it for maybe 15 or so years and then got back into painting by pure coincidence.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Aard_Rinn
      On Mondays, I've been playing in a homebrew 5e campaign at my FLGS. Amongst a mostly-monstrous party (several tabaxi, a kenku, firbolg, and centaur) I decided to play a sphynx - or more accurately, an Aarakocra sorcerer with two levels of rogue using the fire-Draconic Bloodline, reskinned as a catgirl-style sphynx. 

I've been in need of a mini, but it turns out, medium-sized sphinxes are hard to find, and lion-sorceress tabaxi minis to graft wings onto are also hard to find - until today! At paint day today, I grabbed a great couple finds out of a huge case of minis that someone had dropped off for sale, including one that's perfect for this character: the Grenadier Sphinx from their lead box set "Monsters of Mythology".

Now, this is a tiny figure, for a monster. Her crouched position makes her look even smaller - next to a human Reaper mini, though, you can actually see that she's perfectly to scale in terms of an ordinary person. The wings are incredible - easily the best I've seen on a mini of that period (opinions may vary) in terms of looking like realistic wings.

It took about two and a half hours to paint and base her - I GS'd her at the shop around three, got home around eight, grabbed a shower, and just banged her out, since I wanted her ready for Monday and I'm working 10AM-12PM tomorrow...

Painted a basecoat of Intense Brown on the wings, and Golden Blonde for the whole body. Then I did the face - nothing too fancy, though the lips are redder in person; just some Kohl makeup. Added the bars on the wings, then coated the whole thing in Game Color's Umber wash - indiscriminantly on the wings, and just to shade on the body. Touched up the highlights on the body, then highlighted the bars on the wings again, added the hair and shading on the throat (Game Color's Flesh Shade) and based it up with some split glass and Battlefield XP Highland Tufts. 

Gotta say, she was a lot of fun to paint, and I look forward to playing her on Monday! A couple folks in the group love monstrous female minis, so she's going to be a great surprise, and she fits the character perfectly! 10/10 would recommend getting one, if you can!
    • By 72moonglum
      Good evening folks,

So here is one I just finished up, a really old school Partha Piece, don't recall her original name, but she's some kind of sorceress or Dragon Lady. Sculpted by Tom Meier, this one didn't have a year on the bottom, but I think this was probably sculpted originally 1977-1979 or so.  I did the base as just one flat blue color, that as I look at it, I'm regretting. I might go back and do a little something with it. I didn't want to do a natural, grass and dirt base, because I didn't want to hide any of the dragon, who is not too large.

• By Crowley
      A DCC RPG boxed setting for Lankhmar, officially licensed by the estate of Fritz Leiber. Adventure with Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser!

There are three basic pledge levels:
      The PDF pledge level includes an electronic edition of the final boxed set. (Obviously there will be no box!) This level does not include any physical rewards, add-ons or stretch goals. The boxed set includes the core boxed set as described above. All electronic stretch goals (PDFs) will apply to this level. Some of the physical stretch goals will apply to this level, generally those that fit in the box. The final level includes the boxed set as well as the "print pack." All electronic stretch goals (PDFs) will apply to this level. All of the physical stretch goals will apply, as well. Those that do not fit in the box will be shipped in a separate "print pack." See below for more information on these stretch goals.  
      Stretch Goals
      DCC Lankhmar continues a long tradition in RPG gaming, and we want to do right by the estate of Fritz Leiber. The stretch goals associated with this Kickstarter will help create an even more amazing tribute to the world of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.
      Stretch goals fall into three categories:
      PDF stretch goals that all backers receive Print stretch goals that can fit into the boxed set, which will be included with any pledge that has the physical boxed set The "Print Pack," which is a printed collection of the stretch goals which don't fit in the boxed set Here is a rough outline of possible stretch goals, which may evolve as the Kickstarter continues.
      At $40,000: Cleared! We will add a new Lankhmar adventure module (PDF for all backers; print copy in the Print Pack)
      At $60,000: We will print the poster map larger (included in boxed set)
      At $80,000: We will add a second Lankhmar adventure module (PDF for all backers; print copy in the Print Pack)
      At $100,000: We will add a supplement called "A Dozen Lankhmar Locations," which will provide information, maps, and floorplans on setting adventures in a dozen famous Lankhmar locales (including the Silver Eel!) (PDF for all backers; print copy in the boxed set)
      At $120,000: We will add a third Lankhmar adventure module (PDF for all backers; print copy in the Print Pack)
      At $140,000: We will add a supplement called "Random NPCs in Lankhmar," which will provide tables and information for generating random NPCs that your PCs can encounter in Lankhmar (PDF for all backers; print copy in the Print Pack)
      At $160,000: We will add a fourth Lankhmar adventure module (PDF for all backers; print copy in the Print Pack)
      At $180,000: We will add a Lankhmar-themed three-panel Judges Screen (PDF for all backers; print copy in the boxed set)
      At $200,000: We will add a fifth Lankhmar adventure module (PDF for all backers; print copy in the Print Pack)
      At $220,000: We will add a cloth map in the boxed set (print copy in the boxed set)
      At $240,000: We will add a sixth Lankhmar adventure module (PDF for all backers; print copy in the Print Pack)
      At $250,000: We will add send Michael Curtis to Houston for a week to research the Fritz Leiber archives in the University of Houston. We anticipate this may result in a new product of some kind to be delivered to backers of this Kickstarter, but exactly what we'll discover in the archives - and what product may result from it - can't be determined until Michael sets foot in the archives!
    • By 72moonglum
      Good evening everybody,

Just finished this one last night, an old Ral Partha Robin Hood, sculpted by Dennis Mize with a Citadel Crossover group of figures way back when.  

Very classic feel on this one, and of course, even though green was the obvious choice, it ended up taking me forever to figure out where to put what color.  Anyhow, very nice little figure, not too complicated to paint!

• By Ratmaster2000
      Here are a couple of shots of the border marker and village captive from the encounter at blood valley. Yes, more 20 year old painted minis.
  • Who's Online   25 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)