Mierot

Mierot is taking the random rainbow dragon challenge!

I need an excuse to get out of a painting rut, so challenge accepted!

The Dragon: Ebonwrath (because the Bones 3 dragons are not yet in the online store)

Let the randomness begin. The fates have selected:

rolls.png.6106743cd237b76c641307cc35e38c70.png

Primary color: Cloudy Grey (16)

Secondary color: Lemon Yellow (5)

Tertiary color: Orange Brown (4)

Oh my. I'll have to think about this one. With those colors, I'll go all in with the three star challenge. Why not... ::P:

Edited by Mierot
  • Like 4

On 11/29/2017 at 8:03 PM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Good way to get out of a rut! Good luck!

Thanks!

002.jpg.af17098196e7597d9f8db478e3764eea.jpg

I had only a couple opportunities to work with the dragon this past week. With a few dips in hot water and then an ice water bath (she must be a Roman dragon), the ever-so-straight wings are now curved and glued onto the body, along with the head. I decided to experiment a bit and, instead of my normal green stuff, I used some milliput to fill in the wing gaps and to smooth over the head join. Once it cures and dries I'll sand any rough areas away.

• Like 4

There is paint on my dragon!

I decided to sketch in the basic colors to help me later on in the process. So far only the core three of cloudy gray, lemon yellow, and orange brown are there. I'll primarily be using the black and white to change values, especially with the large expanses of gray.

003.jpg.fce07c307835989ab68901f3720d3ae4.jpg

004.jpg.9c785167d2819c490221c6904c02dac5.jpg

• Like 4

I'm painting (very) slow these days. Hopefully when it warms up outside my painting area will also be warmer.

Using pure black and pure white to help work the values, I started blending the cloudy gray into the lemon yellow. The highest yellow is pure lemon yellow at this point, while the deepest shadows are cloudy grey with quite a bit of pure black. I may go darker, especially between the scales.

006.thumb.jpg.a55c69e1e88462b21755109a83b37b14.jpg

008.jpg.74179aff1a57a67c67dec022d92c74db.jpg

007.jpg.32fddb47348ca5d54aace05fd4086a05.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks for the encouragement!

Today's progress: the initial blending on the top of the wings. Since the wings are such a large surface, I ended up painting fairly rapidly, working wet-on-wet with medium paint dilution and lots of mixing both on my wet palette and on the model. Colors involved were cloudy gray, cloudy gray mixed with various amounts of pure black, lemon yellow, and lemon yellow mixed perhaps 50/50 with cloudy gray.

I remembered to take a picture halfway through to help illustrate where the blends started and ended. Some of the orange just peeks through.

010.thumb.jpg.f65ee311c0087eb6525d7da706e24301.jpg 

And both wings with their first blends.

011.thumb.jpg.b8d3ec2aa5881fd4019598601c2475e2.jpg

More work is needed to clean up some transition areas and bring more lemon yellow and spot of orange back in for the highest highlights, but I'm pleased with where this is going. The bone areas also need plenty of work. I'll see you soon, Ebonwrath.

• Like 5

After wrapping up a band of gnolls that I need for tonight's gaming session, I almost started a new figure. Ebonwrath raised her head, looked me in the eye, and said nothing. So I dutifully cleaned my palette, washed my brushes, and got back to work. I'm declaring her done. I created a show off thread with pics.

012.jpg

• Like 5

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By NomadZeke
      Pretty certain at this point I fell off the wagon got ran over by it, then chased it down and set it on fire (given the drought of these - explanation is in the chatter thread)

Please see the main post here for rules, questions and general chatter, while using this thread to keep a list of links to your show-offs or show-off related comments in a single post: A reminder to please adhere to miniatures posting guidelines as usual.
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/78657-resolutionary-painting-challenge-2018-chatterquestions/
      All the information you need should be here.

Due to the delay, there is going to be a normal and hard challenge for each month.

Your challenge is: 13!

October Bonus: This is Halloween! - Paint a mini using only colors that have black, orange, and purple in the name. You may also use "Fresh Blood" and "Spectral White" as they are part of the monthly promotion.
      Hard mode: Jack-o-lantern's light - Paint a mini where the only source of light would be coming from inside a jack-o-lantern. Pumpkin may be part of the mini/base or sculpted

November Bonus: Festive feast - Since both US And Canada have their Thanksgiving in this time bracket - paint up a mini (figure or terrain) to have some food being presented
      Hard mode: Liquid Cheer - This can be done with the above - paint a mini where it's holding a drinking vessel - but paint it as though the mug were glass and you could see the drink inside from the sides (in theme - ale or wine is the best use)

December Bonus: Winter Solstice - To celebrate the shortest day of the year - paint a halfling or dwarf decked in wintry colors (think blues/grays/whites, maybe brown and a little bit of evergreen)
      Hard Mode: Gift wrapped - paint a mini with any inorganic parts (metal, cloth, etc) being done to resemble giftwrap - little candy canes, trees, text, stripes, etc - bows optional

Good luck

The game is made up and the points don't matter
    • By SparrowMarie
      So, for October this year I'm going to attempt to paint a mini a day. This will take the place of Minivember probably from now on. November's have just become too busy for me to feasibly paint everyday. This will be called All Minis Eve! I am currently in the process of making an advent calendar for October. I'll post how I'm doing it and progress, I hope to have it done before October so I can kick things off this year. 

How it works: I have tons of minis laying around so unless you want to or don't have enough (is that a problem around here?) minis you won't need to buy any (unless you want to). You will need 31. Once the calendar is assembled 1 mini will go in each felt pouch and you pull one out each day then plan, prep, and paint it. You have that one day to do it. Midnight to midnight. I will not get to pick out my own minis as I will have my Husband do it so it'll be a surprise each day. 

To start I bought: 
      Spooky spider web fabric Adorable ghost ribbon (1.5") Tan felt (three 9"x12" sheets) Black felt (three 9"x12" sheets) Fabric glue  
      I also have handy:
      Sewing needles Orange thread Fabric tape measure Ruler Scissors Fabric pencil Pen/Sharpie  
      I don't yet have a dowel and ends for it or photo transfer paper. I will edit the above later if I've forgotten anything.

Some pictures of materials:

Plans:

Above is a rough sketch of what the layout will be like. I have cut the tan felt into 33- 3"x3" squares and a 3"x9" rectangle. I will take 1 yard of fabric and affix the squares with fabric glue and sew them on as well for extra hold. I will leave several inches free at the top to put the title which I will cut out of the black felt. I will use a piece of ribbon to underline it and then put the squares below. 
    • By Inarah
      I took the dragon challenge last year and chose this figure. Midway into the painting my vision changed entirely.  I still used the 3 chosen colors, but in a different way.  Very happy with how it came out.  Found the perfect base in my Bag of Crap, too. 

Sorry, camera lighting is not good.  He is not so muddy looking in person. 

• By OneBoot
      For those of you unfamiliar with The Great Kaladrax Painting Challenge, initiated by buglips*the*goblin, here's a link to his thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51269-kaladrax-in-seven-days-buglips-is-crazy-wip

Feel free to boggle at the insanity of it for a bit, I'll wait.
      All done? Okay, so, being not entirely sane myself, I've decided to give it a go. I will be following the same rules buglips followed in his challenge, namely:

1) No using a brush larger than a standard Size 0 (no getting around it by using, say, a size 0 brush meant for house painting, for example)
      2) I will work on Kaladrax for no more than 168 consecutive hours (7 full days)
      3) The only prep time allowed before the timer starts is boiling and cleaning to remove casting residue. Removing (or not) mold lines is part of the challenge!
      4) When I begin, I will post a picture of Kaladrax with my phone displaying the date and time (I don't get the newspaper)

...That's it, really. Pretty simple. I will endeavor to make semi-regular updates, but when I get deep into PaintingLand, I can lose track of time. I will, however, be very good about taking awful WIP pictures as I go, then at least doing a batch picture post each day. I've timed this so Mr. Boot is gone at a work conference about half of the 7 days, so I will have a little more free time than usual.

So! Feel free to come along for the ride. I can't promise to be on here super often (or maybe I will be, who knows), but I can promise that the trip will at least be entertaining.

If you'd rather just skip to the end, here's my official completion post with pictures: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/68762-oneboot-is-crazy-too-kaladrax-in-7-days-wip/&do=findComment&comment=1371410
      Final show-off pictures: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69015-kaladrax-reborn-in-7-days-by-oneboot/

Note: Unless otherwise specified, all of the paints used are Reaper brand paints.

Huzzah!
      --OneBoot :D
    • By NomadZeke
      I'm back to being late again!

Please see the main post here for rules, questions and general chatter, while using this thread to keep a list of links to your show-offs or show-off related comments in a single post: A reminder to please adhere to miniatures posting guidelines as usual.
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/78657-resolutionary-painting-challenge-2018-chatterquestions/
      All the information you need should be here.

Due to the revised format, there will be more than one bonus challenge available for this month. Including a "Hard mode" which Is some combination that may or may not have a source behind it.

Your challenge is: 9!

Bonus Challenge the first:
      March 26th is National Purple Day (raising awareness for epilepsy) - so paint a figure in monochrome purple. (Yes I know a slime would be an easy candidate)

Bonus Challenge the second:
      April Fools' Brigade - Paint a mini in a completely nonsensical paint scheme or other silliness. ex: CAV with a giant bullseye on it, Adventurer with a shield that says "I'm with tasty ->" or something similar.

Bonus Challenge the Fiv Three, sir, three!
      Monty Python and the Holy Grail released 33 years ago in April - paint up a figure to resemble a character from the movie

Good luck

The game is made up and the points don't matter
  • Who's Online   31 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)