Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBlues

Tome of Horrors: Reborn for Fifth Edition

http://kck.st/2AXamrg

About

40ebf4475bd1a349774a8425441eb58e_origina

Reborn

Frog God Games' wants to unleash the next iteration of its iconic Tome of Horrors series for 5th Edition (Swords & Wizardry & Pathfinder fans see More Details Section below). Hordes of sinister adversaries, restless dead, and other horrific monstrosities to gleefully challenge your players' expectations. Bursting with hundreds of creatures, new additions as well as converted classics, in a library-bound and stitched full color volume, the next Tome of Horrors will be a must have for your 5th edition campaign.   

Everybody needs more monsters.  

The Tome of Horrors for Fifth Edition will include a selection of creatures from earlier volumes as a kick off for an entire series of fifth edition books.

The Evolution of Horrors  

A another victim of PC homicide described in earlier Tome of Horrors releases. A another victim of PC homicide described in earlier Tome of Horrors releases.

The Tome of Horrors series was first launched by Necromancer Games in 2001 for the 3rd edition d20 rules. Since then, The Tome of Horrors line has spawned 4 classic volumes, two shelf breaking compendiums, and numerous softcover supplements. 

Black & White Illustration from an earlier release of the Tome of Horrors. Black & White Illustration from an earlier release of the Tome of Horrors.

They have detailed beasts, demons, humanoids, elementals, dragons, devils, fey, extraplanar, undead, and even more for three different rule systems-  

• 3.0/3.5 compatible editions   
  • The Pathfinder Role-Playing Game System (including Starfinder Compatible Creatures, many of which work well as extra-planar new 5th Edition creatures!)
  • Swords & Wizardry, Frog God Games' classically influenced fantasy rules.
Above books responsible for rivers of imaginary blood and tears. Above books responsible for rivers of imaginary blood and tears.

We want to bring these monstrosities to 5th Edition with full color illustrations by top artists who have reimagined the entire catalog of creatures. Our eventual plan is to create a series of books encompassing the 2011 list of monsters, the TOH 4 list of monsters, and hundreds of others that we have included in books along the way, and will continue to add over time (both unique to these volumes and used in our other products). This release is the first step along that path.

Redesigned  

The Tome of Horrors series of books have always been some of Frog God Games/Necromancer Games top-selling books. In fact, our single largest sales day ever had us selling out of 2500 of these books in 3 hours!

New color art from Tome of Horrors New color art from Tome of Horrors

To bring the Tome books to Fifth Edition they will need conversion and formatting upgrades in addition to other necessary changes to existing content. That process has been going on for awhile.

What will the new Tome of Horrors contain?  

The original three volumes of The Tome of Horrors were combined and expanded into The Tome of Horrors Complete, released in 2011, which was bursting with monsters (over 700 pages of them). Yet it soon proved not to be complete enough for us (or for you). The siren call of more creatures was answered with the Tome of Horrors 4, adding another 280+ unusual and deadly monsters for your campaigns. These combined would be a titanic cyclopedia of creatures.  

What about the creatures from the Necromancer archives?  

Yes, those are awesome.  

The creatures from your newest releases like the Blight or Bard's Gate, how about those?  

Those are dark and disturbing, we couldn't leave those out.  

So this is a Tome of Horrors Complete for 5th edition with new material added?  

Alas, no. It would one be a hell of a book, the kind we would want to make. It would come with one hell of a price tag, a price much higher than even The Slumbering Tsar Saga or The Blight. Even if everyone could afford it, it would break shelves, wallets, and backs. Most importantly, it is not possible. Physically the printer cannot produce a book that size without prohibitively costly custom work with which we have no production experience.  

Then what are you funding?  

The first in a series of incredible books, a full color, high-quality core reference for Frog God Games’ 5e future releases, Tome of Horrors.  

8e8ec2bd20560be063cfc2b8e06b338f_origina

A huge majority of project pledge reward levels consists of 2 principle products. The eponymous book itself and/or a set of the Tokens of Horrors set. The actual combination and the formats of each is determined by your pledge level selection. 

The Rewards

Mock-up only, final design will change Mock-up only, final design will change

Tome of Horrors Hardcover: The printed version of Tome of Horrors. These are available as either the standard retail release or as a special high quality leather bound collector's edition. Every copy of any Frog God title comes with the matching PDF, Kickstarter rewards are no exception.

Page mock-up by layout frog Charles Wright Page mock-up by layout frog Charles Wright

A Note from the CEOAll Frog God Games hardcovers are stitched into 16 page packets, the packets are sewn together, and then all the packets are sewn to a cloth backing, creating a book block that is glued to its cover. This is what we mean when we say "library binding."

So, what does this mean to you? 

Well first, you will note that our books cost a little more than others. That being said, after a myriad of book-binding issues both recently and dating back to 2nd Edition, there is nothing we hate to see more than someone investing in an expensive game book and having it fall apart on them after only a short period of regular use. We feel strongly that book production quality is king. After all, you guys spend a lot of money on your books! 

Second, if a Frog God hardcover book ever falls apart (we have tested this with baseball bats and very rough use, by the way), we will replace it at no cost assuming we still have one in stock. Yes, that means if you call me in ten years, and your book binding has failed you (failed us really) through regular use (please no bulldozer roll overs), just email me and if the book is still in stock, we will mail you a new copy for free. Nothing I can do for you if they are all sold out though (but email me anyway and I'll hook you up in some way). It costs us a lot of money to do this, and our margins are somewhat lower than they could be as a result. Frog God Games stands behind our product (and sometimes on top of it when we need a ladder), and believe that the improved quality and durability of our work is well worth it.

Tabletop & Virtual Tokens

Prototype of printed round tokens Prototype of printed round tokens

Printed tokens are dual-sided and are delivered on punch-out boards which are shrink wrapped at the point of manufacture. These will be printed similar to the tokens that Kobold Press released with the Tome of Beasts (here).

VTT tokens are a set of unaltered individual creature files with transparent backgrounds and a set of round digital tokens with a rear image behind the monster illustrations. Both sets are sized at 170x170 pixels in PNG format. They will be packaged in a compressed file for reward distribution.

Example of Starfinder tokens available now Example of Starfinder tokens available now

Reward Levels

$20—Virtual Tokens of Horrors only  

$25—Tome of Horrors PDF only  

$40—Tome of Horrors PDF and Virtual Tokens of Horrors.  

$50— Library bound and stitched full color Tome of Horrors hardcover and PDF.  

$65— Library bound and stitched full color Tome of Horrors, hardcover and PDF, and the Virtual Tokens of Horrors.

$80— Library bound and stitched full color Tome of Horrors, hardcover and pdf, and Tabletop Tokens of Horrors PLUS extra VTT Tokens created for this Kickstarter available only for pledge levels $80 and above.

$95— Library bound and stitched full color Tome of Horrors hardcover and PDF, and both the Virtual and Tabletop Tokens of Horrors PLUS extra VTT Tokens created for this Kickstarter available only for pledge levels $80 and above AND a PDF of 5th Edition bonus creatures of same.

$275— Library bound and stitched full color Tome of Horrors, hardcover and PDF, and Virtual and Table-top Tokens of Horrors, and limited-edition leather Tome of Horrors PLUS extra VTT Tokens created for this Kickstarter available only for pledge levels $80 and above AND a PDF of 5th Edition bonus creatures of same.

$1600--Temple Gamehole— Library bound and stitched full color Tome of Horrors hardcover and PDF, and both the Virtual and Tabletop Tokens of Horrors, and limited-edition leather Tome of Horrors! This also includes a trip with the Frogs to Gamehole Con 2018 in November 2018 (see premium pledge levels).  PLUS extra VTT Tokens created for this Kickstarter available only for pledge levels $80 and above AND a PDF of 5th Edition bonus creatures of same.

$1600--Temple Dallas— Library bound and stitched full color Tome of Horrors, hardcover and PDF, and Virtual and Table-top Tokens of Horrors, and limited-edition leather Tome of Horrors! This also includes a trip with the Frogs to North Texas RPG Con 2018 in June 2018 (see premium pledge levels). PLUS extra VTT Tokens created for this Kickstarter available only for pledge levels $80 and above AND a PDF of 5th Edition bonus creatures of same.

Edited by ChaoticBlues
  • Like 3

I totally spaced this one was live. I got the FGG email the other day too!

Thanks for the reminder!

14 hours ago, haldir said:

I totally spaced this one was live. I got the FGG email the other day too!

Thanks for the reminder!

Any time.  

I'm in this for the table top Tokens my self.  However, if they get the cards unlocked I may go for that as well. 

Latest update is that most of the orders have shipped. They're still waiting on a few things to get delivered to them, but they are shipping now.