pikammd

Can I keep this from breaking?

I have this swordsman, but his sword is trying to break off. Is there a way to save it before it breaks rather than gluing it back on when it finally does break off? It's trying to come off right at the hilt or slightly higher. Thanks!

5a177928025bd_20171123_1829301.thumb.jpg.3986474a441893c09033a4225feab3cf.jpg

• Sad 2

I haven’t had much luck with keeping things like that together. You’re probably going to have to pin it one way or the other.

My suggestion would be a long, thin pin all the way from the pommel through the hand and the hilt and into the blade, if you can manage it. It is possible the sword blade may fall off during drilling, if it is really wobbly loose, but at least then you will have most of the guide hole already drilled.

I had one of these and the pointy thing he’s holding fell right off. I eneded up replacing it with the point of a sewing machine needle. But if you still have the sword blade, that’s better.

• Like 3

If you can drill accurately enough, @Pingo's suggestion is a good one. 0.020"/0.5mm brass rod works pretty well for pinning, IME.

The problem that I see is that accurately hitting the center of the blade with a drill hole from the pommel is going to be quite tricky. (I've pinned many figures, and I don't know that I could manage it.) Your other choice is to clip the sword blade and drill the hand and blade separately.

• Like 3

It's not easy with something that small, but I'll third the notion that pinning is the way to go. I would likely do as Doug suggests and remove the blade, then drill the blade and hand separately.

You need a pin vise with a very small drill bit, and a thin wire to fit the hole your bit makes. Brass rod is nice, but if you don't have that either sewing pins or metal guitar string / music wire (I use E18 string) work well, too. Paper clips are a popular, easily available option but are likely to thick for this specific problem.

CAUTION: both sewing pins and music wire will notch wire cutters that aren't designed for hard steel, and both will send bits of metal flying at high velocity when cut. Keep your eyes protected when cutting. I have also found that holding some kind of small cup (I use a shot glass; dixie cups are a good size but flying metal can pierce the cheap ones) down over the wirecutters as you clip helps prevent bits of metal from escaping to the wider world. Trust me when I say you don't really ever want to have to pull a quarter-inch of wire out of your own fingertip...and I assume it's even less pleasant if it's your cornea.

• Like 3

I attach tiny metal spring clamps, the ones shaped like capital “A”s with rubber tips, to the ends of wire before I cut it. They hold it, weight it down, and keep shrapnel from flying.

• Like 5

I just bend the wire (repeatedly) until it breaks. Two needle nosed pliers required. Nothing goes flying because each end of the wire is clamped by pliers. Bend, Straighten, Bend, Straighten, Bend, Straighten, Bend, Straighten, Bend, Straighten, Bend, Straighten, ....... Bend, BREAK.

Never tried it with piano wire, I think my hands would be strong enough to bend a piece repeatedly. IDK :unsure:

That is probably what happened to the sword blade. Bent numerous times, it is now about to break. 

I take it this is a metal model?  if you are handy with a soldering gun...:poke:

but seriously, Pinning is for when it is already snapped off. and has its risks of not aligning as stated above.

Before that happens you could try putting a dollop of epoxy glue into and on the offending crack and then carving it carefully down when it is set, then paint over.

11 minutes ago, Maledrakh said:

dollop of epoxy glue

You can also try some baking soda and CA glue mixed to a paste.  The soda will make the glue dry faster, and will be sandable when cured.

Though all these solutions do involve finishing the break and repairing...