Thrym

Troll :: Wizkids :: D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures™ :: Thrym WIP # HOAH!

thrymstable-holiday-vacation-series-banner.thumb.jpg.430618b7a6d646cb23b1f74880b8d502.jpg

As I stated, I am working on a lot of projects involving the various Joten Horde I command and so I managed to acquire this one on Black Friday at my FLGS, Millennium, in Rochester, NY.

Wizkids :: Troll :: Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures™

5a1d05374b2fc_BackofRackCard.thumb.jpg.d6e3ef17195364de627015ff257a080e.jpg

This appears to be a direct response to Reaper's Bones line.
It comes pre-primed with Vallejo Grey Primer and that wafer thin base AND the integral base.

As you can see this is a classic Dungeons & Dragons portrayal of a troll.   I've always enjoyed this kind and have a couple of classic trolls from TSR in the same vein.

5a1d053866a6f_TrollWithBaseAssembled.jpg.4762278c55c43893d07701f45a59d8c9.jpg

As I mentioned, I above, he came with a really thin base to put him on and the integral base.  Wasn't a fan of either so I cut the integral base right off and glue him to a piece of shale to add some weight to the miniature.  I also glued that to a architectural tile sample.  Then added some bark.  One piece to represent a log coming from below the rock he's standing on and the rest to increase the uneven terrain feeling.  I added the course and fine sand to give the whole thing some texture.

Afterward, I sealed the whole base with a quick coating of Testors Dullcote and then primed it by hand with some Reaper Grey Primer.

5a1d0537c9ae2_TrollFullyPrimed.jpg.bf979f1a50a70830794bf0239d40ea8a.jpg

Some points about the model...

It says high-definition and it certainly seems to be of very good detail.  You can see a nice definition with the knuckles and veins on his hands and wrist.

That said, what annoys me is the mold line through his left cheek and his hair.  The rest of them are in the usual spots, along his chest sides and either side of his limbs.

The price point for the Bones Trolls compared to this troll at the store ($5) are roughly the same.

I look forward to adding him to the crew and I think I might continue my Abomination style skin on him that I used for the Mountain Troll, The Skull Collector

Enjoy and Stay Tuned!

• Like 5

I've started painting this mini myself though I haven't touched him in a few months, so I'm curious to see what you do with yours.

Like you I'm a fan of this style of troll but not a fan of the very thin bases they provide and I've noticed that frustrating placement of mold lines occurs on several of their minis.

Best of luck with your project.

• Like 1

I wait with bated breath.

I'm not crazy about the sculpt and style; he's just too human looking... but I'm ready to see someone do something good with him.

• Like 1

I think it's the lanky old school D&D style with the nose overlapping the mouth and forward jutting face.

As I mentioned I have the older ones from Ral Partha's AD&D line ... (from dndlead.com):

image.png.1f3e7e7580898b1e3f4cbd90ad28df76.png

I have two and both are actually painted up.  Not great but not bad.  I am fairly certain they are shorter than the fellow above and most of the Reaper trolls.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 1

I've resisted the urge to pick this guy up every time I see this line at hte gamestore in Boise. Eventually I'll get him, just for now I'll let everyone else paint him up ::): 

Oddly I love the thin round bases. I'm hoping Wizkids will start selling those by themselves at one point. Still love the new base you've constructed for him.

@Dr.Bedlam

This what Mr Troll looks like now in 5e:

7101144_orig.jpg

• Like 1