Slatejunco

HD Bones -- Please Help, For I Must Taste the Rainbow

Long version short: I want to hear about your favorites from the HD Bones line; which ones would make a "best of" list?

Like many here, I have way too much paint for my own good. My friends and family give me the side-eye when they see my sprawling collection in full. It's a look -- part pity, part horror, and always dripping with reproach -- that says, "We're concerned. Your hobby will be the end of you. Expect an intervention."

So, I don't really need those shiny HD Bones paints I've been eyeing. I've got almost all of the original HD line, plus most of the must-have triads (Royal Purples, Warm/Cool/Bright Greens, Liners, all of the Blue and Bone triads, most of the skin triads, more earthtones than you can shake a stick at, etc. etc. etc.). When you add in P3 and some personal favorite Warpaints (Goblin Green! Orc Blood!), there aren't many "holes" in my collection. But still.

But still.

There's something really appealing about owning the full range of HDs. I picked up the HD metallics recently and was suitably impressed with most of them (Dragon Gold is awesome). Now I'm looking to buy another bunch -- maybe 15-20 or so. So far, I'm set to get:

The fleshtones (can never have enough of these!)

Wolf grey (love that swatch)

Spectral Glow (I've seen several people here wax poetic about it, plus there's nothing like it in the other lines)

Naga Green

Dungeon Slime

Icy Violet

Nightsky Indigo

So, I guess my question(s) to you, the Hive Mind, is this: What are some of your favorites from this line? And are there some in the line that are standout enough that even a Reaper painthound like me would benefit from their inclusion in an MSP-heavy collection? Subjective answers ("I love it because I love it so much!!!!") are totally welcome.

Edited by Slatejunco
Long version short.
  • Like 2

Well since no one else has chimed in...  I really like the greens in the Bones line of paints.  Dragon Green especially.  Candlelight Yellow is also very nice.  My husband took a class at ReaperCon where Dragon White and Dragon Black were highly praised, so we had to get those too.  

If you have the full set of HD paints then the Bones HD paints fill it out very nicely.  

• Like 1

I have picked up the whole line of BONES paints excluding the metals. I haven't had occasion yet to use every single one of them yet. So far, the only one I haven't gotten the coverage I expected was 9430 Polished Leather. The color was good tho.  They are my primary go-to paint set now though. I still find myself grabbing the Liners, Clears, Flow Improver, and Nightmare Black quite allot. 

• Like 1

Dixon --

6 hours ago, DixonGrfx said:

I have picked up the whole line of BONES paints excluding the metals. I haven't had occasion yet to use every single one of them yet. So far, the only one I haven't gotten the coverage I expected was 9430 Polished Leather. The color was good tho.  They are my primary go-to paint set now though. I still find myself grabbing the Liners, Clears, Flow Improver, and Nightmare Black quite allot. 

Yeah, I can't imagine giving up certain Core paints, particularly the liners and a couple of the skin triads.

6 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Well since no one else has chimed in...  I really like the greens in the Bones line of paints.  Dragon Green especially.  Candlelight Yellow is also very nice.  My husband took a class at ReaperCon where Dragon White and Dragon Black were highly praised, so we had to get those too.  

If you have the full set of HD paints then the Bones HD paints fill it out very nicely.  

Thanks. And this brings up an interesting question -- if I have only Solid White and Solid Black HD, am I missing out if I skip Dragon White and Black? Since getting more seriously into painting, I've been shocked to discover how different two "pure" blacks can be.

Edited by Slatejunco

1 hour ago, Slatejunco said:

Dixon --

Yeah, I can't imagine giving up certain Core paints, particularly the liners and a couple of the skin triads.

Thanks. And this brings up an interesting question -- if I have only Solid White and Solid Black HD, am I missing out if I skip Dragon White and Black? Since getting more seriously into painting, I've been shocked to discover how different two "pure" blacks can be.

I also love the skin triads, they are my must have MSPs.  The deal with Dragon White & Black is that they are more "pure".  As in less other tints.  So Dragon White is the closest thing to titanium white.  Or so I've heard. 

• Like 1

If it helps, I have swatches of the Bones HD line up on my Facebook page. 

https://www.facebook.com/pg/wrenthebard/photos/?tab=album&album_id=854201311373054

Off the top of my head personal favourites. I like the browns and purples quite a bit. Saddle Brown makes a great shadow colour for pale skin. (Ashen Brown from the original HD line is another.)

Dragon white is the (or in the top two, I need to do my test blobs more thoroughly) brightest Reaper white. 

I have all the HD reds and use those preferentially over other reds unless I'm being super picky about colour cast because of the time savings in coats required for coverage. The addition of Bones HD reds makes that much less likely to happen.

The metallics are very nice, and a lot of people prefer them to the original blends. If you already have steel/silver colours you could skip those as the variations in those are slight, but the yellow metallics of the line are more markedly different colours from the existing MSP ones, so increase options.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I always have a hard time remembering which Reaper paints go with which Reaper lines.

So far, I really like the three brightly colored metallic paints I got at Reapercon.  Mostly, because I don't have such colorful metallics (they open up some new possibilities that I'm exploring).

Up till now I only have the Tropical Blue and the Cinnamon Red, both of which I use a lot already.

So I'm not much of a help here.

I'm very interested in the Spectral Glow and I love all purples..

• Like 1