Talae

Dwarven Forge Castles

This starts out with some of the same pics as another WIP Due to the images having both projects in them. That will change later, once the more complex pieces get started.

Here are the floors I started tonight (just under an hour of drybrushing Base Gray).

20171128_220744.jpg

20171128_230711.jpg

• Like 8

Stage two. The brown has been applied to about half the pieces since tonight got less paint time. After stage 3, these will be done and I will move onto more pieces of either castles or dungeons but not both.

20171129_225413.thumb.jpg.179e26a07cb067be6c709b48ffc38e02.jpg

• Like 5

Looking good. As someone who is anticipating a decent sized order coming in next spring, it looks like these can go relatively fast (at least on the initial passes) is that accurate?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gargs said:

Looking good. As someone who is anticipating a decent sized order coming in next spring, it looks like these can go relatively fast (at least on the initial passes) is that accurate?

Thanks. 

I purposely chose the floor tiles because the are the simplest. The simple walls add an extra step or two. Then more complex stuff even moreso. 

Overall, I have about an hour and a half into this pile.

• Like 1

@Talae, is that paint brush shown in the latest photo the one that you're using to paint these pieces? If so, I'll be so bold as to suggest that a bigger brush will make your life better.

When I was painting my KS1 tiles, I used mostly a 3/4" filbert (for base coats) and a very cheap #12 hog bristle round for dry brushing. (I did use a smaller brush for some detailing.) It was a little messy, but nitrile gloves helped, and I think I was running on the order of 40 pieces every two hour session (faster with floor tiles).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

@Talae, is that paint brush shown in the latest photo the one that you're using to paint these pieces? If so, I'll be so bold as to suggest that a bigger brush will make your life better.

When I was painting my KS1 tiles, I used mostly a 3/4" filbert (for base coats) and a very cheap #12 hog bristle round for dry brushing. (I did use a smaller brush for some detailing.) It was a little messy, but nitrile gloves helped, and I think I was running on the order of 40 pieces every two hour session (faster with floor tiles).

It is the brush. It is the large brush from Dwsrven Forge. I believe it is a #12 if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Talae said:

It is the brush. It is the large brush from Dwsrven Forge. I believe it is a #12 if I remember correctly.

My #12 Hog Bristle is about 5/8" (16mm) in diameter, which is quite a bit bigger.

For me, at least, slobbering paint around quickly was much more important than any sort of precision.

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

My #12 Hog Bristle is about 5/8" (16mm) in diameter, which is quite a bit bigger.

For me, at least, slobbering paint around quickly was much more important than any sort of precision.

I feel like that sounds like about the same size. Maybe it an angle of the photo or something.

Here is the stock photo. 

Pokorny_Brushes_Variety_3-Pack_1024x1024.jpg.887b2068fd7e67c795a15b100effab96.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/30/2017 at 11:39 AM, Gargs said:

I have painted all of my dwarven forge, except the caverns - dungeon, town and castle.  They go very fast in batch, but there are a lot of them.  I try do them in waves over a few days.  The pokorny paints and brushes are really great for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, edz16 said:

I have painted all of my dwarven forge, except the caverns - dungeon, town and castle.  They go very fast in batch, but there are a lot of them.  I try do them in waves over a few days.  The pokorny paints and brushes are really great for them.

I agree.

I have painted quite a bit of this terrain, too.

/blows dust of thread

Here is a bunch of stuff I hope to paint before next weekend's game:

20190406_124127.thumb.jpg.88e869f8ba0b42979e81f3650567ec8c.jpg

Here is the planned layout. Just need to get it painted.

20190406_121311.thumb.jpg.fce3fa4f52ddbb7522eeea3877db61a5.jpg

• Like 15