Pragma

Samus Aran (Metroid) Amiibo head resculpt

Hey everyone! I'm back to the forums after a long time away - I recently moved and it's been a while getting everything set back up.

I was recently inspired to get back into sculpting. You see my son is really into these Amiibo toys - little figures made by Nintendo that let you unlock various things in games. But his Amiibo of Samus (the heroine from Metroid) lost its head a while back. It was pretty clearly gone forever, and it was sad to see my childhood video game heroine sitting decapitated in our living room.

Then I had an idea - I could sculpt her a new head! I decided that rather than a new helmet, I would sculpt her head underneath without a mask. And once I had the idea, the sculpting went really fast and I finished it in an evening. Here is the result, ready for painting:

01-front.thumb.JPG.ae30ca3ae504c27a75b75db1456bd19d.JPG02-quarter.thumb.JPG.96ffcee896486564b4e82f40ab3b7e3a.JPG03-back.thumb.JPG.e69e02b933be5194162168168953d36b.JPG

It was done mostly in sculpey (about 3:1 super sculpey firm to super sculpey) with green stuff underneath to hold the head to the armature, and a little extra green stuff here and there to hold bits together, and to fill a crack from where the sculpey split during baking. As you can see I decided to depict her with the ponytail she has in the more recent Metroid games, rather than the tragic 80s hairdo she sported during my youth :) Here are some close-ups:

04-closefront.thumb.JPG.c60edc9bde03b51a3b5d6137c8691a61.JPG05-closeright.thumb.JPG.c21456fc356a3361121e07b75f37a0ee.JPG06-closeleft.thumb.JPG.e732309660f09445f8d39a43cc215585.JPG

I have to say that sculpting at this scale is WAY easier than heroic scale. Like about a factor of 10 easier for each factor of 2 in size. I realize now that it's a bit rough in places, I would love to hear your comments. I am likely to start painting her soon.

• Like 20

Excellent!  Yeah, regarding scale: I wish there were some way I could sculpt in a large scale, then magically shrink the sculpture down to 32mm or 28mm or whatever.  I mean, that used to be the "big secret" for drawing comics: draw them larger than they'll appear in print.  :)

• Like 1

Thanks!

I was wondering about the same thing. I suppose you could do a 3D scan of the larger sculpt and then have it 3D printed. Probably too expensive for personal use, but might be a sensible thing to do if the model were being produced in large quantities. For all I know some companies already do it this way.

I've seen comics done that way - my father is a comic book nerd and has a few huge comic pages on bristol board. It makes a lot of sense. Of course 2D scanning and printing is much more developed than 3D :)

Thanks!

I have now fallen down the rabbit hole of seeing whether it is feasible to do 3D scanning of miniatures using a webcam.

8 hours ago, Jordan Peacock said:

Excellent!  Yeah, regarding scale: I wish there were some way I could sculpt in a large scale, then magically shrink the sculpture down to 32mm or 28mm or whatever.  I mean, that used to be the "big secret" for drawing comics: draw them larger than they'll appear in print.  :)

Hi this did just remind my of  This FAQ from Smooth On

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ketil said:

Hi this did just remind my of  This FAQ from Smooth On

Wow, that's pretty cool. I guess it would take a few passes to get it to 50% of the original size, but still I had no idea you could do that. Chemistry is awesome.

Next I'm going to start painting, but first I have to ...

sunglasses.jpg.cab21e3f2a3ec160b5fb367dc4fe42b2.jpg

Metroid Prime.

yeah.jpg.a69977c79da96e262f75fb8caf6d74a2.jpg