72moonglum

Ral Partha Female elf thief

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Love the purples!

Awesome work on her face!

Thanks Glitterwolf!  She's kind of a larger figure and her features were very prominent, so she was pretty easy to do. I actually got her eyes done on the first try without any problems.

• Like 3

She looks great; very nice work on her!

I've got a copy her around here somewhere.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

She looks great; very nice work on her!

I've got a copy her around here somewhere.

If you find her paint her!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Tjrez said:

i really like you highlighting and color scheme. great job

Thanks! I kind of wondered about the yellow pants but I really couldn't come up with any other alternative after the purple was decided.

9 minutes ago, 72moonglum said:

Thanks! I kind of wondered about the yellow pants but I really couldn't come up with any other alternative after the purple was decided.

I like purple with yellow accents because it looks like irises.

• Like 1

Was it an early partha style base, or the beveled oval base common in the 90s?  The overall sculpt looks 90s, and the face has a Jim Johnson look to it (bears some resemblance to his Factol Rhys).  I don't actually recognize the figure, so it could be either earlier than my tastes or later than my catalogs (I only have up to 1995 and then the 2000-era DF).

To make a semi-educated guess out of my butt, I'd say 1996+ and Jim Johnson. 

• Like 1

It was actually a slotted base. I’m not sure if it was Jim Johnson, the style being a little different, but elsewhere somebody said this was an old Mage Knight figure. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Thrym

Under the Repaint & Rebuild column, we have the Ral Partha Frost Giant, 11-436.  A classic version of the Frost Giant for Ral Partha's AD&D line back in the day.

Amusingly, I was rather proud of this paint job back in the day.

I cut the base out of thick clear plastic and then edged it with a rotary tool.  Mixed snow, sand painted white and such to cover the large integral base and painted him up.

However, on his way to an early days Finger Lakes Paint Day, he and a few other minis got unceremoniously dropped on the floor in their container.  They weren't individually contained.  They were just pulled from the shelf, loosely wrapped in paper towels to keep them bouncing off each other and taken in to show off.  However, I didn't get out the door before my elbow bumped something and wham, down they went.

The Frost Giant comes apart at the waist and the shield comes off.  Naturally he came apart at the waist and in my heart sunk condition I shelved the whole box and didn't touch it again until recently.

So, I dipped him, cleaned him and re-based him yesterday at paint day.

With one distinct difference in the base ...

The ice sheet of his old base is now the ice sheet sitting on top of water on top of his new base.

The base is one of the 2-inch tile squares I use a lot with a 1-inch plastic tile holding up the old base:

I used Golden Heavy Gel with no coloring as the water between the top and the bottom bases after painting the lower base with an aqua/sea blue I mixed from Warpaint Hydra Blue and Reaper Ultramarine Blue.

I added a skull floating/hanging in the ice/water near the front of the base to add SKULLZ for my buddy @ub3r_n3rd because ... SKULLZ!!  I painted that up on a stick beforehand and used part of the stick to help plant the skull in the gel after I had "cooked" it to set a bit.

Speaking of cooking it.  I improvised a low-heat method to "bake" the mini all day after assembly:

All lights are energy efficient but still generate a lot of heat using the metal shades and the direct contact of the bulb under him.

Last night when the gel had contracted a lot, I added more gel to fill the gaps back to the edges of the tile.

Here's a close up of the skull.

I also sprayed the giant later last night after masking off the base.  I am back in the office today to do a little work and paint.  So he's back on the lamps "baking" the gel.

Upcoming:

Ice ... I am going to use the crackle effect I got from Ub3r to create a cragged, icy appearance on the plastic base and bring it level with the integral base to a degree.  The plastic base will be painted an icy blue to show through the cracks. Gloves and Sleeves ... I painted his hands as gloves last time to avoid messing with full blue skin.  However, this time I plan to add more blue to him.  Whether the blue will be in the form of bare hands or bare arms I am unsure. More Water ... as the latest gel contracts I will likely have to add more gel to get it level again towards the edges.  I expect should give me some nice edges within the water to look through. Shield ... gonna put some more effort into the shield this time and paint a device on it.  Part of the reason I left it off.  
      Stay tuned and Enjoy!
    • By Painting Dog
      I have recently come into some very old (late-1980's) Ral Partha lead miniatures that I'm very excited to work on.  The only problem:  I have never, ever painted lead figures before.  Would anyone be able to point me toward a resource with information about how to clean (soap and water?) and protect (against lead rot?) minis like these?

Thanks in advance for sharing the wisdom.  
    • By Sophie was taken
      Reaching into my box of Unpainted Things from Four Years Ago, I drew this figure. It looked simple enough, but turned out to have an awful lot going on:

This is probably the most fun painting I’ve ever had, there is so much going on! Shirt and boots are Gory Red, and cape is Royal Purple. The fireball is a random assortment of Lava triad colors with some Candlelight Yellow tossed in. Even got to do some freehand on the book pages, to questionable effect, but not disastrous. 

C&C appreciated, though I am curious as to the origin of her name...
    • By korimar
      03398 Liriel Silverlocks Female Elf Bard by Derek Schubert

• By 72moonglum
      So here is another one in my little series of old and new. I was actually going to post this yesterday as well, but I didn't have a good front shot.

So this is a Grenadier Elf or Half Elf fighter, from their twenty-piece woodlands adventure box.  I painted this figure way back in the eighties to be one of my player characters Renny back in the day when we played D&D at Star Realm in Omaha. Back then there was a buy named Bill if I remember correctly from Offutt who was our DM, another guy, I think Roy, and then another random assortment of teenagers.

and a shot from behind, where you'll see there's lots of grass stuck to the base. I think I just didn't wait long enough for his sealant on the base to dry before I stuck him into the grass. I always paint the base black again and then seal, because I will have ultimately made a mess all over the base while painting it.  Not too worried though, these are being painted just for fun. 

and here's the front shot I was missing yesterday, where you can see a bit of difference in the shield and face:

and then just some shots of them in the same photo:

So there you have them, a small journey into my adolescent past, up to my current almost 50 year old self, who as per my beautiful wife, is still probably somehow stuck back in the past with my fascination for "muñequitos".  Like I mentioned in my previous posts I've got a few more of these yet to be started, that I'll probably do when I'm "between projects". 
      Anyhoos, enjoy!

• Who's Online   34 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)