kristof65

Rottweiler Grav Tank for my IMEF

As if I didn't already have so many projects in progress I can't count, I kept looking at the case of Bones IMEF figures, and thought "These guys need something that can take out a few NOVA Corp Tycho AFVs."

This concept was born:

IMG_20171130_193728.thumb.jpg.20d76291c465fa59122f5465af619dbe.jpg

I am shooting for it to be about the size of a GW Land Raider. Going to block it out in Fusion 360 soon.

• Like 7

I have the basic hull created in Fusion 360. 

5a20e5943e549_RottweilerGravTankv1.png.cdc20bd6dd30ff7624a53e0261f7b67a.png

I have some detail ideas, open to suggestions for the rest. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lowlylowlycook said:

This has me trying to remember the names of some old, 3d, wireframe games from my Apple II days.   

Elite!, obviously but what was the name of that tank game.  Laser something?

I never had an Apple II nor played tank games. My computer of the era was a C64. 

My original name for this was going to be the Bulldog, but then I remembered that the IMEF already have a mech/power suit called the Bulldog.

Got a little bit more done:

5a219364ddde1_MobileUpload2017-12-0111-36-06.thumb.jpg.9ec33736f8d97ef62e57e8f7f53505f4.jpg

My thinking for the rear flat "catwalk" sections is that they are exactly that - a place for the IMEF Marines to "hitch a ride".  If the clearance works out, I am even going to try and put a couple of gunnery positions there, to mimic the side sponsons of a Land Raider

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

You could add a small searchlight ?

I hope so.  I wanted to do a search light for my Tycho AFV, but small details like that are giving me printing problems.

• Like 1

A bit more progress made:

Rottweiler_Grav_Tank_2017-Dec-03_04-19-53AM-000_CustomizedView48942054250_png.thumb.png.8b80fb788b6bc002fbd7ba6d9475622f.png

The round extension on the side is going to have two options. Option one will be a side turret. Option 2, and the one I am planning on using, is going to have to be scratch built. 

The extension is sized to fit a 25mm figure base in it.  I'm going to attempt to build a railing, upon which I will mount the gun I will cut from 80021: IMEF: Sarah Blitzer. Don't worry about Sarah, though, I'm probably going to use her as the tank commander. 

I've hit a snag in the design that I need to resolve before I can do any more detail work on it.   I can't decide how I want to split the model up for printing. My printer is big enough I could just print it as a big block of plastic, but that wastes a lot of filament. So I'm going to slice the main hull into 2-4 parts, and hollow them out.  There are multiple ways I can do it, and I'm having a hard time deciding which way I want to approach it. 

• Like 4

Haven't done nearly as much on this as I have wanted to, because I've been figuring out connections and build geometries, and keeping it from being a solid lump of plastic.  Getting frustrated with myself because I can't work out how I want to do the hatches and gun mount. 

The front hull:

5a24b2f55771c_RottweilerFrontHull.png.91d4b7b20902033e9e0b4c16987487d4.png

The rear hull:

5a24b2f82c4f4_RottweilerRearHull.png.7ce35a6dcf47ab59bdab6ece329d0971.png

• Like 4

Finally broke through my mental block on the hatch and the main gun mount. 

Rottweiler_Grav_Tank_2017-Dec-04_06-28-46AM-000_CustomizedView4713579696_png.png.3c4b547d42a35100bb453b0fc3960747.png

Now to add lots of textural details and greeblies. Still have to design my side sponson turrets, too.  Also going to see if I can figure out how to design the side rail/gun mount option idea I have. Oh yeah, still have to figure out the rear hatchway, too. 

• Like 5

the turret is proceeding along nicely. Quick screen grab, rather than a render. 

5a25b9d054b20_RottweilerTurret120417.png.2a7b7efc00aaabf45fcd5b9ffcbb2fb8.png

The turret itself is almost done, and ready for printing. I'm still working out a way to use magnets to make the barrel hold a couple different angles.  I'd also like to add a hatch option that would have a machine gun mount - but I have to figure out what gun I want to use first. 

• Like 4

Not much more got accomplished on this last night and today. Finished a barrel option, and started on the side turret. 

Rottweiler_Grav_Tank_2017-Dec-05.thumb.png.121e573e749bc9085065e8149d60a94b.png

• Like 4