kazmania7

02562 Gossamer Air Sorceress

She looks nice but the blue feathers seem out of place to me.  I didn't paint her when she was popular, either. :) 

ty both for your comments. Inarah I agree with the feathers now that I'm looking at the figure in a picture format. What I was going for was a contrast with the red dress so the face would pop more, the only thing that came to me was like bluejay feathers thou I didn't achieve that effect. I was trying to stick to the three color rule (red for dress, blue for vest, and white for cape) so I tried a light blue. She's been dullcoted and base so not gonna change it but would like your suggestion for what color you thing fits in with the scheme for next time that will give me food for thought. (maybe white feathers, or would that be too much?)

Edited by kazmania7
  • Like 1

I think the issue is the blue of the feathers and of the corset don't match. And I think the easy way to fix that is a greater degree of contrast between highlight and shadow: if the corset is that dark blue in its shadows, but highlights up to the blue you used on the feathers, and if the feathers shade down to the dark blue in the deep spaces where multiple feathers overlap, I think they would call each other out pretty nicely. Personally, I would also try a simple blue line along the hem of the cloak to reinforce thw minor blue theme from the back view, as well.

I would also say your highlights and shadows can increase on both the red and grey.

I really love her eyes, and your basework is awesome. I had forgotten about this mini, now I may have to dig through my collection and see of I have her somewhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Sanael's suggestions. And you can paint right over Dulcote. 

I try not to use a primary color scheme like red-yellow-blue.  Yes they all contrast, but IMO, too much.   I might have done her corset and that front panel in red also, to give her a longer line from head to toe. The blue cuts her in half and makes her look short.  Might have shaded the corset with purple or green to differentiate it slightly, but stay in the same family of color.  Same with the feathers, if I used green shadow on the corset then put the same on the feathers to subtly tie it together. 

The shading on the back of the cloak is beautiful but I would have used a brown to coordinate with the warm red and gold, and the warmer white used on the front. 

• Like 1

First off ty you all for your C&C, especially Sanael and Inarah both your critiques is what I am/was looking for and want to know it didn't fall on deaf ears. I usually don't keep the minis I paint, try to get rid of them so I can buy a new bottle of paint or a figure so going back after I've dullcoted isn't cost effect especially all time I spent on it already. But thanks to you stored some (in back of my brain hopefully, hehe) of your lessons and went back to take your advice and lighten the corset and tried to darken the feathers thou I don't think I succeeded. again you have my thanks.100_4497.thumb.jpg.a34f45c3bcf70218bd787f1aa853d892.jpg100_4496.thumb.jpg.4f32e943f7d9dac05e15a8c3447b57d0.jpg

• Like 5

I love the colours.  But then I'm a bit of a magpie.

those feathers practically glow, now!

And the corset falls nicely into line with the rest, too. I think the little change made a big improvement.

• Like 2

She looks great, and the adjustments made her even better.