Cyradis

Getting to Know You ... December Edition

7 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

That would be a bit conflicting, considering the drastically different takes on the devil. On the other hand, Crowley and Dean had a fun run :devil:

Indeed, that was one of my favorite episodes. But in trying to mash them up I kept coming up with some variation of Lucifer Winchester, the devil works to curtail the spread of criminals and other bad elements -- which is basically Lucifer already. Or, Dean Morningstar a fighter of evil faced with supernatural elements/threats. Which again, pretty similar. :p Amazingly though, the two shows are drastically different!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Wednesday, December 6th:

Quest & Question: combine the names of two fictional characters from separate worlds (ex: Sansa Wesley from Harry Thrones or Heisenburger from Breaking Bob). Make it funny or serious. What do you come up with? Describe your new character and their world. 

With a blend of modern spy thrillers and medieval fantasy, "Secret Agent Mage" was inevitable.

There's a mage who leads a life of danger

More than any cleric, druid, or ranger

For his missions to go well

He must prepare the right spells

Or else he won't live to cast tomorrow

Secret agent mage, secret agent mage

They've given you a robe now and erasing your truename

Beware of ancient magics that you find

Ancient magics can hide an eldritch mind

Well, it's hard enough to stay sane

When dealing with matters arcane

Odds are you won't live to cast tomorrow

Flying over Mount Celestia one day

Then laying in the Pits of Tartarus next day

Well you took a terrible crit

Cuz you gave a balor some lip

Looks like you won't live to cast tomorrow

Secret agent maaaaaaaage!

• Like 9

On 12/4/2017 at 11:47 PM, Cyradis said:

Tuesday, December 5th: 

What is your favorite iconic weapon from a game, story, or movie? Lightsaber? Mr. Pointy? A spork? 

I would really like to have a lightsaber based hedge trimmer.

12 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Wednesday, December 6th:

Quest & Question: combine the names of two fictional characters from separate worlds (ex: Sansa Wesley from Harry Thrones or Heisenburger from Breaking Bob). Make it funny or serious. What do you come up with? Describe your new character and their world. 

Gilligandalf

A mage stranded (marooned) by his peers on a tropical island ...for reasons.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 10
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, TGP said:

Gilligandalf

A mage stranded (marooned) by his peers on a tropical island ...for reasons.

You should be awarded bonus points just for coming up with the name Gilligandalf. ::D:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Thursday, December 7th:

What do your family and friends think of your obsession with tiny figures and painting them? 

• Like 5

Just now, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 7th:

What do your family and friends think of your obsession with tiny figures and painting them? 

That it makes sense.

No, seriously. My mother reverse engineers lace patterns found in archaeological sites and then weaves them, she's published in weaving journals and had stuff in museums. My uncle builds Nice Things out of scrap metal/wood/bone because he wants Nice Things and the Nicest Things are ones you've made yourself, he has several acres in the desert where he keeps his forge. My 80 year old grandfather used to do woodworking for fun but he's decided he's old enough to supervise instead and so hangs around drinking beer.

The root cause of my figmentius is genetic. If I did this in front of family they'd hand me beers and suggest I also paint field decoys.

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 7th:

They think it's cool how I can paint something so tiny "so well" (lol...I'm not that good) but don't really have much interest in it besides "huh, cool."

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 7th:

That it's cool, fun, and makes complete sense. 

I've been obsessed with tiny worlds and such. I've always liked to draw and paint. So it fits.

• Like 10

My mom finds it great but perplexing - perplexing not for the art, but for the fact that I'm not driven blind. My dad got me into the hobby, but with enamel paint and some of his old lead figures. He's also called me nuts for the detail I can get nowadays. I don't think he had that option in the late 70s, or if he did, he didn't have the internet to tell him about it. There is both an art and science streak in the family - Gramma did insanely beautiful quilting, I have artist cousins, and scientist uncles. In art classes, even as a kid, I had trouble filling the entire space for an 8x11 sheet of paper. I'd fill a corner or just the center, do it in detail, and be happy. Minis let me fill the entire space, without worrying about too much space! 

Some friends think the hobby is great - they get D&D figures out of it occasionally. My best friend has three figures I've done: his original rogue that got him into D&D, a model of him playing Humans vs Zombies, and Rainbow Fairy (each at very different stages of my skill). Other friends I think find this interesting but bizarre, especially because I don't do many tabletop games, and most figures I do are not for D&D. I don't think they see the relaxing or pleasing part of the hobby. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 7th:

IDK

Forum friends approve obviously. But family...??  (They ask me no questions; I tell them no lies...)

If acquaintances, retail staff, or strangers ask why I want raw material  _X_ I will admit I have a hobby "like" model rail road building. 

:huh: People mostly like trains :huh: 

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 7th:

They like how I can paint. They understand my need for it.

Admire how I can paint something tiny and make it appear real.

The Girls however do complain that I should paint fluffy creatures and elves and other goodie two shoes more instead of my ususal Reptiles/Undead/Female ( semi-nude) Barbarians, Monsters  etc..

So every once in a while something cute has to be painted..leaving me shaking and cringing all over till I can remedy this with a proper evil mini..

On 12/6/2017 at 6:53 AM, Cyradis said:

Wednesday, December 6th:

Natural Born Scooby Gang.

Where a bunch of teenagers and their vicious dog drive around the country in a vintage VW van spreading mayhem wherever they go.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

They all think it's fine.  Awesome Wife is a crafty person, Daughter Dilvish paints minis herself, Middle Daughter plays DnD and youngest daughter will play Frostgrave with me (all three will actually).

I've got a couple of guys at work (back) into painting.  One guy started by painting his board game figures and I have turned him to the ways of Reaper, and the other two are getting back into 40K.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 7th:

Not a whole lot.

It's always either mild surprise that I can paint something so small, mild bemusement that I have such an (in their opinion) old-fashioned hobby or mild concern that I'm playing with toys like a child.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 7th:

Friends are largely down with it as a) some of them are right there next to me with it and b) most of the others "benefit" from it by seeing the minis in our games -- at least eventually. Mrs. Gargs is a fan of it and very supportive, even if she doesn't usually "benefit" by way of the games. My mom is just confused and thinks its "boring". Oh well, can't win 'em all. :)

• Like 6