Cyradis

Getting to Know You ... December Edition

10 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Wednesday, December 20th: 

On the brighter side - What are the most awesome things to happen for you this year? 

1. I got my first full-time job with BENEFITS (all the BENEFITS)
  2. I moved to an awesome city
  3. I started the first hobby that's ever kept my attention for more than 3 months (WOOT PAINTING)
  4. I found THIS FORUM (woooooooot!)
  5. I hit 5 years with my wonderful BF on the 18th. 
  6. I joined a D&D group at work
  7. I started DMing D&D
  8. Mr. Mouse got a job - I feel 100% comfortable with our financial situation now

This year has been a good year for me. Adulting is fun. ::D: I just have to hope next year is as good, or better!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Got a house with a dedicated hobby room

Got my house panther

One of my best friends got married, and his wife fits in with our dynamic well so no problems there.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2017 at 12:43 AM, Cyradis said:

Friday, December 15th: 

Did you do anything with glee during your childhood that you now find thoroughly repulsive or terrifying now? If so, what was it? 

The things that if I failed the attempt I would have bounced back up from, now the fear of broken bones is usually an cause for a moment of pause.  Sometimes I don't do them and others there is a sigh of relief that there isn't an impending emergency room visit.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ttuckerman said:

Took a great vacation up to New England.  Biked the Erie Canal Towpath, took the railroad up to Mt Washington (although clouds hid Tuckerman Gorge). Biked the Carriage Trails in Acadia, toured the Newport mansions, visited Mystic Seaport, visited my one of my Revolutionary War veteran ancestor's house and grave and visited the Steamtown National Historic Site.  Even riding the MTA (alright the MBTA) in rush hour in Boston was an adventure.  BTW I did return for those who are Kingston Trio fans.

Mystic is only 35 minutes from home and 10 minutes from work.  If I had known (and you had time in your no doubtedly busy schedule I would have loved to have taken you out to some of the local sites (and my FLGS)

• Like 6

On 12/16/2017 at 12:47 AM, Cyradis said:

Saturday, December 16th: 

What are your favorite puns? Or are you one of those folks who hates puns? 

I love puns and look for the opportunity to use them as the situation allows.  Some are so subtle that it takes a second or two before people catch them.  But I have no standard or go to puns.

On 12/17/2017 at 12:14 AM, Cyradis said:

Sunday, December 17th: 

Do you enjoy household chores or dread them? Specific ones better/worse than others? 

Chores bah! Who enjoys them?  If we enjoy them they aren't chores.  There are those that I don't mind doing.  Cutting the grass, but would still rather have a grass that grew green and no higher than 3".  Cleaning the kitchen cooking area that way I know it's clean, but wish there was robot taking care of it while me or my family was using the kitchen.  Other than that the rest are a real chore.

Edited by chaosscorpion
  • Like 4

On 12/18/2017 at 12:32 AM, Cyradis said:

Monday, December 18th, 

What is the best weird fake animal? Critters like flying pigs, saber toothed rabbits, jackalopes.... y'know, froggcident material. Can be your own creation. 

Snipes...those mythical woodland critters that you convince young scouts to go looking for at night on a camping trip or the truly gullible college student with zero outdoor skills to do on a Friday night.  

On 12/19/2017 at 12:55 AM, Cyradis said:

Tuesday, December 19th, 

What has been your most difficult or stressful experience of this year? (Upbeat question tomorrow - don't worry). 

The tension when some of my billable work was farmed out to a new hire, and I was left looking over my shoulder for the remainder of the year as my billable to in direct number dwindled. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Cyradis said:

On the brighter side - What are the most awesome things to happen for you this year? 

Everyday that I get to do something special with my wife or kids or all of them together. Scuba diving in three Caribbean locations on our Disney Cruise with the boys. 

• Like 10

13 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Had a great mini vacation with my girl.

And eventhough the job thing was my most stressful event, hearing that I'm secure for another term of 3 to 5 years is super!

Youngest stepvixen has a boyfriend now. He is a good guy and will celebrate Christmas with us. ( what a contrast with Mr. Poorlifechoice my own daughter is with, should have put that under the stress events as well)

Lots of small things to be happy about.

• Like 8

On 12/18/2017 at 11:55 PM, Cyradis said:

Tuesday, December 19th, 

What has been your most difficult or stressful experience of this year? (Upbeat question tomorrow - don't worry). 

13 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Its been a pretty uneventful year for me with no big highs or lows. Some people I know have had exciting years, a few probably more so than they would have liked, but I am good.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Most awesome? Lady Klarg and I got engaged. :bday:

Runner up? Giving up a great, stable job to dive into an early-stage startup company [as co-founder with an old friend].

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Okay good things! 

This year has had a bunch of ups and downs for me. 

Ups: 

My new adviser adopted me. I've known this professor since 2010 when I took Intro to Mineralogy. The new project is directly related to my old project, but actually has some significance! Or at least significance to anyone looking for beryllium. And this adviser talks to me and is supportive instead of ignoring me or telling me to bartend! He's also near retiring, but more out of duty to new academics than a desire to stop doing research. He's even found me funding for my final semester so that I can just research in spring semester and crunch out my thesis. Life has been drastically better since leaving behind the old adviser. Instead of crying weekly due to life uncertainties, I randomly shriek because whoa, life is happening, but good things! 

The Skype interview went really well, and the professor seems to want me on the project. Funding is rough, but he's trying to figure it out to make it work. I got the impression that if the project is happening - I'm going to be the one to do it. It has a potential co-adviser in the Czech Republic who happens to be a fellow I met at a symposium. That fellow was awesome. 

I got to go on an epic road trip and workshop in May and learn from experts in my field. That was a lot of geology and new friends and good beer. 

And... I got brought into CMPA, and I've gotten a lot better at painting due to their help. I'm going to miss them when I leave Colorado. 

My brother got engaged to an amazing woman. Super glad she's going to be joining the family! They got jobs out in Shanghai teaching English, and just moved. Sad to have my brother so far away, but really happy for him. 

My dad's health issue wasn't life threatening. He'll be okay. He has some PT to deal with, and fitness to worry about (he probably wouldn't be in this pained state if he hadn't let his very thin frame get so tubby). 

So things are scary right now, in that I have lots going on at once. But it is good scary, because I want the big things to happen. Next semester is going to be good; I've never written a master's thesis before, but darnit, I got some good data! 

• Like 10

On 12/19/2017 at 11:21 PM, Cyradis said:

My second son graduated high school. My third son was accepted to the National Junior Honor Society.  My fourth son continues to rock his grades.  I managed to paint a miniature (yes, one).

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
  • Like 10

I have a finished basement, paid in cash.

My wife finished her university certificate in HR.

A guy at my work bought me a school course as a Christmas present because I was upset.

• Like 11

22 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Finally living with my bride!! Only took 8 months into our marriage... In-laws didn't disown my bride after meeting me. And they didn't spend the 2 months in the states living with us.

Got a job, got a better job, found a great FLGS, started up a solid 5e game, continuing my mega dungeon D&D game for over 50 sessions now!! 43 minis painted so far this year (might hit 50+ before the end of the year), read more than 60 books so far...

ReaperCon! 

• Like 10

Thursday, December 21st: 

What figure in your possession is one that you adore but are worried about doing justice on painting? 

Take a guess at the quest. 

How are you going to overcome the challenge?

• Like 7