Cyradis

Getting to Know You ... December Edition

15 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 21st: 

What figure in your possession is one that you adore but are worried about doing justice on painting? 

Take a guess at the quest. 

How are you going to overcome the challenge?

If only it were just one...
Pretty much all the pieces in which I have some sort of diorama planned. So, at least several dozen.
My painting mojo is slipping away from me, however...
Risking life and limb I shall have to follow my muse to another Great Old Oak (or in the vicinity thereof),  construct appropriate living quarters and proceed to lay paint.
For Ma'al I'm gonna need a bigger brush. :poke:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 21st: 

What figure in your possession is one that you adore but are worried about doing justice on painting? 

https://www.reapermini.com/InspirationGallery/30012/latest/

This piece 30012 Dark Maiden Shipwreck Angel.

Paint the fig?

Learn to use my airbrush, and layers, layers, layers.  Now do I want it cleanly painted or do I want to show weathering and distress with paint chips, etc. ?

Edited by chaosscorpion
  • Like 3

Oh dog..

Probably the old Takhisamat I have languishing in a box; I got her, she arrived with a broken leg and I don't know quite what to do about that. Also, she needs to be stripped. ^^;

I'll get off my duff and start a WIP at some point, and do some general freaking out, and eventually, she'll get painted.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 21st: 

Eh, I don't know about adore but I am a bit more hesitant to paint minis which are no longer available for purchase.  OTOH I've painted a number of such minis already so it doesn't appear to be that much of a hold up.

• Like 4

Convention Sophies.

Every time I've actually just DONE one, they come out nice. But that still doesn't keep me from being intimidated by them when they're still in the blisters...

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 21st: 

Kingdom death: Gold Smoke Knight

- well im going to an NMM workshop in March ..

• Like 4

Thursday, December 21st: 

Between vacation and work, I'm behind on these.  I'll start here and work backwards.

02835 Jolie, Female Scribe.  I bought one to paint as Xiwo Xerase (who is the prior life of an RP character of mine).  The glasses are wrong (they should be pince-nez) but it's only a minor difference.  (Maybe it's an older version of the artifact.)  I find this daunting because I'm afraid I can't do the vision in my mind justice.  And I have so little practice painting fantasy minis.

So step one for overcoming the challenge is: paint more fantasy minis.  With painting comes experience, and with experience comes, hopefully, improvement.

I guess the quest is going to be something like "You know how to overcome the challenge.  So start work towards it!"  And, if it is, I'm going to have to pass unless I get a half-day tomorrow.

• Like 4

Thursday, December 21st: 

My brain has convinced itself that any miniature representing the female form deserves the best. Better than what I can accomplish.

Because women are awesome.

I will overcome by accepting that miniatures are not real people! Even though I *like* to anthropomorphize my stuff (Mr. Coffee said so).

• Like 6

On 12/19/2017 at 12:55 AM, Cyradis said:

Tuesday, December 19th, 

What has been your most difficult or stressful experience of this year? (Upbeat question tomorrow - don't worry). 

I'm not allowed to talk about it.  Let's just say I now make sure to write all of my SQL queries in a text editor and then copy/paste it into the actual database client.  (Or, if you prefer, "Where's the WHERE clause?")

Runners up include Audit Hell Part 1, Audit Hell Part 2, and my workplace choosing to abruptly change focus (which doesn't affect my employment but it's was still disconcerting).

On 12/20/2017 at 12:21 AM, Cyradis said:

Wednesday, December 20th: 

On the brighter side - What are the most awesome things to happen for you this year? 

I went on vacation.  Twice!  I spent a week in downtown San Antonio (in August -- this timing wasn't my idea) and a few days in Columbia, SC to see the eclipse.

My mother got everything in order after my father abruptly passed away over a year ago, which relieved stress for everyone.

My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary and nothing catastrophic happened this time!

And, on the third try, we finally got to see the Cirque du Soleil show Ovo.

Edited by Xiwo Xerase
  • Like 3

On 12/10/2017 at 11:58 PM, Cyradis said:

Monday, December 11th: 

What smells are among your favorite smells? 

Baking bread.  Being downwind of Subway restaurants (the sandwich shops, not restaurants in subways) always smells wonderful.

Cooking bacon.

Really good jasmine tea.

And I almost forgot: Honeysuckle flowers

Edited by Xiwo Xerase
  • Like 4

On 12/12/2017 at 1:43 AM, Cyradis said:

Tuesday, December 12th: 

The Questgiver gives a question of questing! PART ONE! 

The previous 5 forum posters before your own (excluding Cyradis in the prompting question post, and repeated posts) are in an adventuring party in a world of your choosing.

What quest do you give them, and what hints may you give them in completing it? State who gets your quest, for the sake of quoting people. 

Let's see here, that's Sylverthorne, Auberon, Dr.Bedlam, Evilhalfling, and Cranky Dog.  I admit I don't know them well enough to guess how they would react to events, but I'm sure there'd be wonderful stories for the rest of time.

So they (or their characters, rather) are an adventuring party in a recovering fantasy world helping people out, getting paid, and so on.  You know, normal adventuring stuff.  Meanwhile, there's an invading orc tribe who is allied with some sort of necromantic death cult and they're in the best position to prevent an ancient enemy, from before the previous fall of civilization, who, if prophecy can be believed, will eat the sun.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Between vacation and work, I'm behind on these.  I'll start here and work backwards.

02835 Jolie, Female Scribe.  I bought one to paint as Xiwo Xerase (who is the prior life of an RP character of mine).  The glasses are wrong (they should be pince-nez) but it's only a minor difference.  (Maybe it's an older version of the artifact.)  I find this daunting because I'm afraid I can't do the vision in my mind justice.  And I have so little practice painting fantasy minis.

So step one for overcoming the challenge is: paint more fantasy minis.  With painting comes experience, and with experience comes, hopefully, improvement.

I guess the quest is going to be something like "You know how to overcome the challenge.  So start work towards it!"  And, if it is, I'm going to have to pass unless I get a half-day tomorrow.

I think I have that figure waiting for me to paint. She's lovely. You can do it Xiwo! 

• Like 3

On 12/13/2017 at 12:23 AM, Cyradis said:

Wednesday, December 13th: 

The Questgiver gives a question of questing! PART TWO! 

Recall the members of your questing party (and tag them). If you are jumping in now, pick the previous five posters as your party. 

Your adventuring party has mostly succeeded at their quest (tagged members may jump in with their questing woes). When they return to you, the questgiver, how are they rewarded? Was it all a trap? Did something happen while they were on an adventure that they must overcome before finishing their quest in full? 

As they have helped to save the towns from the orc tribe and death cult, they find another foe, an apparently philanthropic organization is really run by magic users who are going to part the Veil and unleash the ancient enemy upon the world.  (If you're playing the evil cultist drinking game, take a shot.)

They end up in a confrontation with one of the higher ups in the treacherous organization and he calls out to the ancient enemy for aid -- and is promptly engulfed in a pillar of opaque light.  When the pillar clears, he has been changed.  His skin is something like mauve and his head is more like an octopus (or an Ood).  And he says "I have been blessed.  I feel wondrous.  Oh, and what's this?  I can smell your brains.  And they smell delicious."

I can't give away much more because this is based on a campaign I was actually supposed to start running months ago and someday I'd like to actually run it.

On 12/14/2017 at 12:36 AM, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 14th: 

How do you take your coffee, tea, or other morning beverage? 

Unadulterated.  No added cream or sweetener.

My normal morning beverage is green tea but I've been drinking coffee more of late.  And sometimes it's diet soda instead.

Edited by Xiwo Xerase
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 12/15/2017 at 12:43 AM, Cyradis said:

Friday, December 15th: 

Did you do anything with glee during your childhood that you now find thoroughly repulsive or terrifying now? If so, what was it? 

Candy cigarettes.  I enjoyed those when I was a child.  Surprisingly, they didn't have any in North Carolina when we moved there.  (This is surprising because tobacco was a big deal in NC at the time.)

On 12/16/2017 at 12:47 AM, Cyradis said:

Saturday, December 16th: 

What are your favorite puns? Or are you one of those folks who hates puns? 

I love puns.  I just can't think of any right now.

On 12/17/2017 at 12:14 AM, Cyradis said:

Sunday, December 17th: 

Do you enjoy household chores or dread them? Specific ones better/worse than others? 

I dislike chores.  I dislike anything that takes away from time I'd rather spend doing something I want.

As you can imagine, I was rarely a straight A student in school.  I couldn't be bothered because the homework was dull and there were many other wondrous things to do in my time.  Like program.

Now, I keep working overtime so I'm... possessive? of my free time.

On 12/18/2017 at 12:32 AM, Cyradis said:

Monday, December 18th, 

What is the best weird fake animal? Critters like flying pigs, saber toothed rabbits, jackalopes.... y'know, froggcident material. Can be your own creation. 

When I played WoW, I was always partial to my Wolpertinger and Mechanopeep pets.  (The Mechanopeep is just so cute!  In a weird, mechanical, gnome-y sort of way.)

Edited by Xiwo Xerase
Added white space for readability.
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I've got several big dragons in my collection; Ma'al, the Darksword Elmore Red and most intimidating (and my most expensive mini to date) the Heresy Dragon.  I've been putting off painting all of them due to there being so much real estate to cover. 

I haven't even assembled any of those yet, never mind painting.

• Like 5