Cyradis

Getting to Know You ... December Edition

54 minutes ago, Ash Adler said:

Oh boy, should've gotten into this thread sooner :lol:.  But let's see...

Trying to date this back to as of when the question was asked, I think it'd be hitting a new personal best for my monthly 100 burpee challenge time in November.  My previous best had been set in October 2016, so it was something that I've essentially been working on surpassing for more than a year, and it felt incredibly to finally do so.

Yes!  And because I'm so late with getting to this thread, the results are already here :lol:

Probably just to have fun with it.

I've got other treats that I like more than this one, but I suppose the most "wintery" treat that I make is pumpkin gingerbread cake.  It's not an original recipe of mine, but I lost the reference for where I'd found it online, so I'll just repeat it here:

Reveal hidden contents

Ingredients (for 8x8 baking pan)

·         1 cup pumpkin, pureed

·         1 cup almond butter

·         0.25 cup honey

·         2 eggs

·         1.5 tsp cream of tartar

·         0.5 tsp baking soda

·         1 tsp vanilla extract

·         1 tsp cinnamon

·         1 tsp ground ginger

·         0.25 tsp nutmeg

·         0.25 tsp cloves

·         0.25 tsp cardamom

·         0.5 tsp lemon zest

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 deg.

2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.  Mix until smooth.

3. Pour into baking pan.

4. Bake for 30 minutes.

5. Let cool before serving.

Mat's ashandarei (fancy Odin-themed glaive) from the Wheel of Time books.

Edge Maverick (Star Ocean: The Last Hope) + Orb Kaftan (Being a Green Mother) = Orb "Eyeball" Maverick.  A beautiful captain in the Galactic Federation, she and her ragtag band of misfit heroes journey through the depths of space, protecting vulnerable planets from predation by Satan's space pirates and the like through the power of symbological music.  So, I guess it's kind of a cross between Star Trek and Macross 7.

Family thinks I'm wasting my time on a weird hobby.  Friends think I'm enjoying myself on a cool form of art.

No contest.  The dog, easily.  I'm more of a cat person, but dogs are still preferable to random people.

Honestly, none of the 12 Days special figures really jumped out at me.

I'll just go with the old standby: would you rather fall in love only to lose that person shortly afterwards or to live a life bereft of love?

Sauteing garlic and oregano.

Dark chocolate.

Oranges (usually baking with dark chocolate).

Dilvish the Deliverer, Paradoxial Mouse, Crowley, kistof65, and TaleSpinner are an adventuring party in my self-made post-apocalyptic world where genetic experimentation and aftereffects from nuclear/chemical warfare have lead to the development of magic powers in humans, along with the genesis of vampires, bestial shapeshifters, and mutants.  Following the initial collapse of global civilization, wars have broken out between various factions trying to either conquer their surroundings or defend themselves from such.

(TL;DR version: Mad Max with less cars and more magic, although I came up with the setting before seeing any of those movies :lol:)

The party encounters a wandering group of a couple dozen humans.  The group claims to be on the run from slavers at a nearby settlement, but they're outnumbered and poorly equipped, so they request your help.  The settlement's main feature is that it has a stock of ammunition, so either stealing or destroying the majority of it would cause enough of a distraction for the human group to escape their captors permanently.  One member of the group, who has some magical talent, will join the party for the raid, intending to emancipate as many of the remaining slaves as possible (and also to provide a reward, after successful completion of the quest).

If the party is willing to share some food supplies and/or armament, the humans would give some information on what they perceive to be the strengths and weaknesses of the settlement.  Crowley is elected as the party leader/official quest getter, by virtue of having the highest community reputation, and since I'm doing this all from so far behind when it was supposed to be done, I'll just guess that the party is willing to go along with the quest.

(If someone can tell me how to tag people, I'll edit this post to do so)

After waiting for night to settle in before their raid, the party has succeeded in taking as much of the settlement's ammunition as they could carry and blowing up the rest to cover their tracks, drawing enough attention from the settlement's defenders in the process for several more slaves to escape, although they took some wounds in a skirmish with the ammo depot's sentries.  Everyone gathers in a cave to recover, take stock of their situation, and wait for the next night rather than risking being spotted if they try to flee further during the daytime.

The leader of the former slaves thinks that the party has sustained too much damage during the raid to keep defending themselves and so rallies the rest of the slaves for a surprise attack.  Presuming the party is able to put down the attempted double-cross, they'll be left to decide whether to turn the surviving slaves free, return them to the settlement, keep them for themselves, or slaughter them.

Normally, I just drink water.  On the rare occasion that I have something else, though, my most common choice is herbal tea, unsweetened.

Cop-out answer: I don't really remember many specifics of what I did during my childhood.

I'm a sucker for punny names, and despite hating The Witcher 3 so much, my favorite is probably still Mourntart, the grave hag.

Vacuuming, because it's so tedious.  If I still made up my bed, that'd be worse, but I just leave it as it is and close the bedroom door when guests come over.

Zaratan.  If that's too normal, though, seeing as it's basically just a huge sea turtle, I suppose the bulette (sandworm shark) would be my next choice.

Major issues with a project at work that I had to put in a lot of work to resolve, because the company would've faced something like up to $27 million in liquidated damages if the deadlines for successful performance were missed.  There was an oversight in a part of the equipment design, and thus we had about 2 months to design and implement a field repair solution on stuff that took more than a year to fabricate in the first place.  I wasn't really the root cause of the problem, but the people who should've been responsible had either left to work elsewhere or died, so I had to take on most of the load from the office-work side of it.  Fortunately, it worked out in the end.

The most awesome one is easy: making a new friend back in April who's turned out to be an absolutely incredible person.  She's done so much to help me out since then, and hell, if it wasn't for her, I doubt I would've ever gotten into painting minis either, since this hobby sprouted off from something that I'd done as a birthday present.

I'm sure I could think of other awesome things, but that one would outweigh anything else by so much that it'd be insulting to list more.

Visbaronetess Delour Aulamaxa.  The quest will be to commission someone to do it justice, right? :lol:  But really, I'm going to just keep trying to improve enough while working on the other minis I've got so that I can do a good job of it when I get to that one.

Welcome to the thread. ^_^

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 21st: 

What figure in your possession is one that you adore but are worried about doing justice on painting? 

Take a guess at the quest. 

How are you going to overcome the challenge?

I'm not sure if I adore him but at the moment my biggest challenge is the Mantic Tyrant of Halpi dragon. I wanted to push my painting skills a bit and I'm not all that fond of doing big models. I've been stalled on him for many months now. How will I overcome? I've switched tactics several times with no success but I think I have a workable idea now. He will get paint!!! Even if he doesn't turn out as nice as I want he will be colourful and painted. Just waiting for the sun, moon and stars to be in the proper alignment to tackle a dragon. Translation I'll get to it when I feel like it.

• Like 4

On 12/19/2017 at 11:21 PM, Cyradis said:

Wednesday, December 20th: 

On the brighter side - What are the most awesome things to happen for you this year? 

Despite the horribleness, I have found a few friends who have stuck by me, including some help from a few forumites here (you know who you are, I won't out you unless you do yourself).  I have been able to show small pieces of appreciation to them.  I have also been able to attend more of my childrens' events recently due to lack of employment, something that has always been important to me, but I haven't been able to do.  I loved that I was able to attend, as it is very important to me, and I was able to show that.

13 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 21st: 

What figure in your possession is one that you adore but are worried about doing justice on painting? 

I have a couple.  I have the Worldbreaker and Ma'al.  5-headed dragon and a Tarrasque.  Both of which are larger than anything I've ever painted. 

The quest is planning their colors.  And for the Worldbreaker, I'm going to use the scheme I am using for the Legion of Everblight I'm currently painting.  It's a great color scheme and will fit the worldbreaker's chitin very well. 

For Ma'al...  Takhisis' basic outline, but fading into a deep walnut brown.  This is the figure that I am most worried about starting, and I'll likely finish a few others before I start this one.  I have a 10 inch round base for it, just like the Worldbreaker.  Simply put, a smaller base would not contain the awesome. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 21st: 

I'm not worried about my skill or knowledge anymore. My biggest obstacle is time and space and being able to get into my "zone" without interruptions. <_<

I'm working on solving some of these, but I have limited time anyway. Need my house organized and restructured so everyone has their own clean space again where we can just be. Right now we don't really have it, so I'm spending my vacation trying to correct it.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 21st: 

If only it were just one...
Pretty much all the pieces in which I have some sort of diorama planned. So, at least several dozen.
My painting mojo is slipping away from me, however...
Risking life and limb I shall have to follow my muse to another Great Old Oak (or in the vicinity thereof),  construct appropriate living quarters and proceed to lay paint.
For Ma'al I'm gonna need a bigger brush. :poke:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 21st: 

https://www.reapermini.com/InspirationGallery/30012/latest/

This piece 30012 Dark Maiden Shipwreck Angel.

Paint the fig?

Learn to use my airbrush, and layers, layers, layers.  Now do I want it cleanly painted or do I want to show weathering and distress with paint chips, etc. ?

Edited by chaosscorpion
  • Like 3

Oh dog..

Probably the old Takhisamat I have languishing in a box; I got her, she arrived with a broken leg and I don't know quite what to do about that. Also, she needs to be stripped. ^^;

I'll get off my duff and start a WIP at some point, and do some general freaking out, and eventually, she'll get painted.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 21st: 

Eh, I don't know about adore but I am a bit more hesitant to paint minis which are no longer available for purchase.  OTOH I've painted a number of such minis already so it doesn't appear to be that much of a hold up.

• Like 4

Convention Sophies.

Every time I've actually just DONE one, they come out nice. But that still doesn't keep me from being intimidated by them when they're still in the blisters...

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 21st: 

Kingdom death: Gold Smoke Knight

- well im going to an NMM workshop in March ..

• Like 4

Thursday, December 21st: 

Between vacation and work, I'm behind on these.  I'll start here and work backwards.

02835 Jolie, Female Scribe.  I bought one to paint as Xiwo Xerase (who is the prior life of an RP character of mine).  The glasses are wrong (they should be pince-nez) but it's only a minor difference.  (Maybe it's an older version of the artifact.)  I find this daunting because I'm afraid I can't do the vision in my mind justice.  And I have so little practice painting fantasy minis.

So step one for overcoming the challenge is: paint more fantasy minis.  With painting comes experience, and with experience comes, hopefully, improvement.

I guess the quest is going to be something like "You know how to overcome the challenge.  So start work towards it!"  And, if it is, I'm going to have to pass unless I get a half-day tomorrow.

• Like 4

Thursday, December 21st: 

My brain has convinced itself that any miniature representing the female form deserves the best. Better than what I can accomplish.

Because women are awesome.

I will overcome by accepting that miniatures are not real people! Even though I *like* to anthropomorphize my stuff (Mr. Coffee said so).

• Like 6

On 12/19/2017 at 12:55 AM, Cyradis said:

Tuesday, December 19th, 

What has been your most difficult or stressful experience of this year? (Upbeat question tomorrow - don't worry). 

I'm not allowed to talk about it.  Let's just say I now make sure to write all of my SQL queries in a text editor and then copy/paste it into the actual database client.  (Or, if you prefer, "Where's the WHERE clause?")

Runners up include Audit Hell Part 1, Audit Hell Part 2, and my workplace choosing to abruptly change focus (which doesn't affect my employment but it's was still disconcerting).

On 12/20/2017 at 12:21 AM, Cyradis said:

Wednesday, December 20th: 

On the brighter side - What are the most awesome things to happen for you this year? 

I went on vacation.  Twice!  I spent a week in downtown San Antonio (in August -- this timing wasn't my idea) and a few days in Columbia, SC to see the eclipse.

My mother got everything in order after my father abruptly passed away over a year ago, which relieved stress for everyone.

My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary and nothing catastrophic happened this time!

And, on the third try, we finally got to see the Cirque du Soleil show Ovo.

Edited by Xiwo Xerase
  • Like 3

On 12/10/2017 at 11:58 PM, Cyradis said:

Monday, December 11th: 

What smells are among your favorite smells? 

Baking bread.  Being downwind of Subway restaurants (the sandwich shops, not restaurants in subways) always smells wonderful.

Cooking bacon.

Really good jasmine tea.

And I almost forgot: Honeysuckle flowers

Edited by Xiwo Xerase
  • Like 4

On 12/12/2017 at 1:43 AM, Cyradis said:

Tuesday, December 12th: 

The Questgiver gives a question of questing! PART ONE! 

The previous 5 forum posters before your own (excluding Cyradis in the prompting question post, and repeated posts) are in an adventuring party in a world of your choosing.

What quest do you give them, and what hints may you give them in completing it? State who gets your quest, for the sake of quoting people. 

Let's see here, that's Sylverthorne, Auberon, Dr.Bedlam, Evilhalfling, and Cranky Dog.  I admit I don't know them well enough to guess how they would react to events, but I'm sure there'd be wonderful stories for the rest of time.

So they (or their characters, rather) are an adventuring party in a recovering fantasy world helping people out, getting paid, and so on.  You know, normal adventuring stuff.  Meanwhile, there's an invading orc tribe who is allied with some sort of necromantic death cult and they're in the best position to prevent an ancient enemy, from before the previous fall of civilization, who, if prophecy can be believed, will eat the sun.

• Like 4