Cyradis

Getting to Know You ... December Edition

9 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Saturday, December 23rd: 

Do you like roller coasters? If so: which types, and which is your favorite? If no: why not? 

no. just not interesting.

• Like 2

Dec 23rd: 

I adore most roller coasters. However, I have a somewhat legitimate concern about being able to stay in them, as often the bar doesn't come down enough to secure me all that well and doesn't have a seat belt with the bar. And due to being short, the over head and shoulders sorts leave my head between two hard spots, and if the roller coaster is a shaky one, my head bashes on it and I get a headache. 

But for the ones that are made such that I can sit in them well, or aren't clanky with a head bonker.... I have a blast. If the lines aren't long, I'll just run right back to the start and hop on again. Upside down? Hanging? Strapped on my belly? Yeah, I'll try that roller coaster. Favorites have been Top Gun at Great America (near San Jose) and Medusa (6 Flags in Vallejo). Also have a soft spot for The Demon at Great America. Did once possibly damage myself by going on Top Gun (super twisty and upside down) too many times in a row. My friend and I had brief blackouts on a certain turn after about the 7th time on it in a row. 

Haven't gone on any roller coasters in years, sadly. The park in Colorado is "okay" and I've been doing other things. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Saturday, December 23rd: 

Do you like roller coasters? If so: which types, and which is your favorite? If no: why not? 

Eh, they're ok.  I'll ride one if there's no line but I don't find them interesting enough to stand around waiting to get on.

• Like 2

There was one rolly coaster... the Wild Mouse... that I rode when I was eleven. I thought I was going to die. The wheels came off the tracks repeatedly, there were several rapid ninety degree turns, and at LEAST once, the car tilted to the point where I was sure it was about to tip over. It was rattly to the point where the whole durn thing sounded like it was about to come apart, and it stands out in my memory as the least entertaining carnival ride I've ever been on.

Aside from that, I've ridden many rolly coasters. They don't particularly scare or bother me. My main beef these days is the line you're expected to stand in to ride the thing. One of my FONDEST childhood memories was visiting Six Flags Over Texas in the summer of '80, on a particularly hot weekday. There was almost NO line for the Shock Wave, and we rode that thing repeatedly for the better part of an hour, until my sister threw up.

Good times.

• Like 6

On 12/21/2017 at 12:00 AM, Cyradis said:

Thursday, December 21st: 

What figure in your possession is one that you adore but are worried about doing justice on painting? 

"Ruby"    by Studio McVey.  I'm not sure I could even assemble her.  She's 28mm scale and riding a dinosaur, awesome sculpt, but comes in 20+ pieces, some smaller than a grain of rice. 

10 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Saturday, December 23rd: 

I used to be pretty ambivalent, didn't love them or hate them.  But then there was this spate of airline incidents in the late 80's, doors coming off mid flight, planes going off runways, near misses, etc.  I was in a plane that suddenly lost altitude and began plummeting.  Screaming passengers and stuff flying around the cabin. It was only a few seconds of sheer terror but it felt like a lifetime.  Anyway, it took years before I was able to get on a plane again, without hyperventilating, but I got over it. Mostly, some descents are still rough. 

Roller coasters, otoh, now give me that same panicky terrified "falling to my death" feeling, so I avoid them.  I got talked into one a few years ago, nearly passed out during the ride and threw up after.  Not doing that again. 

• Like 3

Upon careful study of the Star Trek universe, I have identified several strains of alien with godlike powers -- Trelane's people, the Q, the Organians, the Metron, the singular inhabitant of Sha Ka Ree, the Douwd, the Thasians (who taught Charlie X how to do it), Nagilum, the Prophets of the Wormhole and their opposite numbers, the Pah-Wraiths, Apollo himself, the Beta XII-A entity... and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Point is, the Star Trek universe has quite a few beings that are, for all practical purposes, gods.

Weird thing? The vast majority of these beings are either insane, amoral children, or just like screwing around with people (the Beta XII entity turned phasers into swords and cheerfully pitted Captain Kirk and co. against a group of Klingons in order to feed on their hate, apparently willing to do so indefinitely).

The more I think about this, the less reassuring I find the Star Trek 'verse.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 12/21/2017 at 11:55 PM, Cyradis said:

Friday, December 22nd: 

If you were stuck in a fictional world, which world would you want to be stuck in? Which world would be the worst to get stuck in?

Early Next Generation era United Federation of Planet.

Worst: the grimderpness of the 40k setting in any era...except possibly the Dark Age of Technology before things started to go to crap.

14 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Saturday, December 23rd: 

Yes

all

It's an older one at Cedar Point but between nostalgia and just being a fun ride, Gemini.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Saturday, December 23rd: 

I love them, though I have found that as I have gotten older that the wooden coasters now rattle my back too much and trigger spasms. The smooth rolling metal ones though are still great. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

"Ruby"    by Studio McVey.  I'm not sure I could even assemble her.  She's 28mm scale and riding a dinosaur, awesome sculpt, but comes in 20+ pieces, some smaller than a grain of rice. 

I used to be pretty ambivalent, didn't love them or hate them.  But then there was this spate of airline incidents in the late 80's, doors coming off mid flight, planes going off runways, near misses, etc.  I was in a plane that suddenly lost altitude and began plummeting.  Screaming passengers and stuff flying around the cabin. It was only a few seconds of sheer terror but it felt like a lifetime.  Anyway, it took years before I was able to get on a plane again, without hyperventilating, but I got over it. Mostly, some descents are still rough. 

Roller coasters, otoh, now give me that same panicky terrified "falling to my death" feeling, so I avoid them.  I got talked into one a few years ago, nearly passed out during the ride and threw up after.  Not doing that again. 

Having been in a plane deliberately doing dives and spins, I end up with opposite feelings. May not have that feeling if I didn't have family in aviation and experience flying. Part of flight training is spin recovery, and it was very empowering to be in the small plane with an instructor who went "this is what happens when you do everything wrong and go into a spin. When we come out of the spin we will be 1000 ft lower and on exactly this heading". Then they demonstrated. Had two instructors who were aerobatic pilots, so they could nail it. I feel safer in the air than on the road. 

The drop only rides bore me - I get to the top, start enjoying the view, and then go "awww" when falling. Half an hour wait for a boring ride isn't worth it. Gotta spin me around till I'm dizzy enough to fall!

Edited by Cyradis
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Having been in a plane deliberately doing dives and spins, I end up with opposite feelings. May not have that feeling if I didn't have family in aviation and experience flying. Part of flight training is spin recovery, and it was very empowering to be in the small plane with an instructor who went "this is what happens when you do everything wrong and go into a spin. When we come out of the spin we will be 1000 ft lower and on exactly this heading". Then they demonstrated. Had two instructors who were aerobatic pilots, so they could nail it. I feel safer in the air than on the road. 

The drop only rides bore me - I get to the top, start enjoying the view, and then go "awww" when falling. Half an hour wait for a boring ride isn't worth it. Gotta spin me around till I'm dizzy enough to fall!

If you like spinning, you should ride the teacups at Disneyland:)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

If you like spinning, you should ride the teacups at Disneyland:)

Mom and Gramma and I always hit the teacup rides and make them go as fast as we possibly can :devil:

• Like 3

Sunday, December 24th: 

Are you prepared for Monday's holiday, if you celebrate in some fashion?  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

Sunday, December 24th: 

My phone is charged so I can get yelled at by drunken family on the other side of the country, I have a few gifts to open, I have a fresh bottle of wine for my own needs, and I bought a large hunk of meat for a Christmas roast.

I'm missing a few particulars like, well, a tree. Or any decoration. But I'm not going to worry about it this year. Maybe next year.

I'm prepared.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

Sunday, December 24th: 

Advance dinner prep is done for the annual big homemade Chinese food feast for friends and family.

Presents are wrapped (mostly).

A sprig of greenery is attached to the front door.

”Hogfather” is queued up.

Yup.

• Like 5