CaptMini

Goldar the Barbarian (now with snow and bloody axe!) - 03461 - Artist: M. Gubser

I'm a noob (about 5-6 weeks of painting) but am happy with this guy and his rusty armor!

Would love some C & C from anyone though!

IMG_1465.thumb.jpg.d7be4e116e8b1a5727c11241ce372ce9.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

Edited by CaptMini
  • Like 15

He looks good!

A couple comments might be to just work on thinning your paints a bit to just smooth the transitions from shadow to highlight (I am still working on this myself).   I also think the rust might be a bit thick but that could be just personal preference. Here's a good video for painting rust without having to use technical paint. 

I would recommend watch a lot of Dr Faust videos.  Its really helped me a lot!

You are off to a great start though!  Keep up the good work!

Oh and welcome!  This is a really friendly place!  So look around and don't be afraid to ask questions.  There are many great painters around here that are always willing to help!

Edited by NecroMancer
  • Like 3

Thanks Internet Friend,

I have seen a few of those Dr Faust vids and like them--My favorite guy to watch is Tabletop Minions, especially when they have Sam Lenz as a guest painter - He's Amaaaaaaazing!

1 hour ago, CaptMini said:

Thanks Internet Friend,

I have seen a few of those Dr Faust vids and like them--My favorite guy to watch is Tabletop Minions, especially when they have Sam Lenz as a guest painter - He's Amaaaaaaazing!

He really is a great painter but he's a brush licker so I find him extremely hard to watch. 

• Haha 1

Looks good!

I like the skin and the snow adds a nice touch.

As for the blood on the axe, to make blood on weapons appear more natural, use a dark red, thin it, apply with a sponge or dab it on.

That way you get patches of blood instead of a red stroke.

Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By jonaas33
      I bought this fig a long time ago, with a ton of ideas and options for what to do with him.  Although I'm definitely on Team Cap, I decided to go with an Iron Man look.  I was really happy with how he turned out, especially the sword and faceplate.  I'm considering going back and adding a little bit more gold in a few spots, especially in the back area, but for now I'm satisfied.  Critiques and advice are always welcome!  Thanks in advance!

• By Pochi
      I painted this lady both for the Reaper facebook contest and for my Dungeons & Dragons campaign. She was part of Bones 3 and is another example of a really pretty face. I love the whole mini!

I didn't want top paint her skin blue but did want her to look cold. I added a little blue to the Reaper pale skin triad. I used Clear Purple to glaze in the shadows and glazed all over with very thinned Clear Blue. I ended up using my favorite colors for her clothes, shocking I know! I used my favorite wolf pelt colors for her cloak. I considered doing a snow leopard type pelt but wasn't sure if the longer fur looked catlike. Who knows, maybe I will have to get a second one and give it a try! She was fun to paint!

• By lazarp
      Dark Heaven Legends Thelgar Halfblood 03197 converted using greenstuff and warhammer bits. Painted and used as a pc in my dnd campaign :D

• By jonaas33
      Used my extra hour from Daylight Savings Time on Sunday to paint this awesome dwarf.  I think I painted her dress 3 different times before I got to the yellow and green combo, and am really happy with how it turned out.  I had a rough time with her face though.  Her mouth and cheeks seem to indicate shouting orders, but I couldn't get her eyes to express that kind of command.  I went over it so many times that I felt like I was losing details, so I just stopped at a point that looked "good enough".  I still really like her overall, and had a lot of fun painting her.  Critiques and advice are always welcome!  Thanks in advance!

• By PurpleLlama
      So it’s been a while since I’ve posted anything.  Been mostly painting terrain and going back to a mini was a little bit of an adjustment.  I just finished this guy up for one of my D&D players who’s playing a halforc barbarian.  I’m pretty happy with how he turned out.  Still need to toss another clear coat or two and then maybe some blood on the axe.

c&c welcome as always!

• Who's Online   14 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)