Jump to content

GreenBeams

Testing out Shapeways new Extreme Detail Material

Recommended Posts

Just got back my Chaos Marauder sculpt from Shapeways. 

The primer is showing the print lines that were hidden when it was frosted. To be honest though, i can't really see that much wrong with it with my eyes, only when zoomed in.

I've included the original sculpt  for comparison

marauder_Print.jpg

untitled.40.jpg

untitled.41.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you clean the print down with acetone before priming it? I've found that a lot of what appear as printing issues in FUD/FXD from Shapeways are actually remnants of the wax support material.

 

Even if that's not the case, it's good that most of the clutter appears to be in the cloak, so it could be passed off under a coat of paint as woolly fabric texture I guess.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Nice, I like the sculpt.  How much did this cost you, if you don't mind saying?

 

Use PM for this before commercial rules are violated and modbats appear

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

 

Use PM for this before commercial rules are violated and modbats appear

 

I thought it was okay to say how much something cost. The major no-no, so far as I understand it, is to link directly to a commercial site.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning, fellas!

Please note, i'm not trying to sell this wee lad. This mini was made solely to get a better understanding of what could work and not work from a digital sculpt to a 3d print. I'm just trying to learn as much about sculpting for miniatures as i can.

I don't mind saying how much i paid for it, if that's ok with the mods? It's just in the spirit of learning =)
 

3 hours ago, MojoBob said:

Did you clean the print down with acetone before priming it? I've found that a lot of what appear as printing issues in FUD/FXD from Shapeways are actually remnants of the wax support material.

 

Even if that's not the case, it's good that most of the clutter appears to be in the cloak, so it could be passed off under a coat of paint as woolly fabric texture I guess.


i totally didn't. Wow. that seems like such a basic step! I was so eager and excited that i just jumped straight into it. It's still a bit sticky even now - 12 hours later. Ah well, it's all learning!

My next thought was to smooth green stuff over the cloak to get a better finish. I'll wait until it's not sticky/tacky anymore and have a crack

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

 

Use PM for this before commercial rules are violated and modbats appear

Wasn't thinking about that. Whoops.

 

I'm not actually interested in purchasing it, was just wondering where it fell in terms of cost compared to other minis.  It looks a lot better than the Heroforge mini I spent $35 on a couple years ago, was wanting to know if this was significantly more/less than that. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Wasn't thinking about that. Whoops.

 

I'm not actually interested in purchasing it, was just wondering where it fell in terms of cost compared to other minis.  It looks a lot better than the Heroforge mini I spent $35 on a couple years ago, was wanting to know if this was significantly more/less than that. 

 

Hey man, no worries. It was $9.93 for the print and $4.99 for the shipping. It arrived fairly sharpish too.
 

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

how's the strength?

 

i can apply a fair amount of pressure and it'll bend slightly. i don't feel like it's close to snapping either. I'd say about as strong as the thick base parts of the Bones miniatures

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2017 at 3:58 AM, Pingo said:

 

I thought it was okay to say how much something cost. The major no-no, so far as I understand it, is to link directly to a commercial site.

 

This is correct, and in this case GreenBeans can post what was paid for the casting service, as it is more general information. I'd personally keep it to a round number though.  

 

We do have to be a bit more careful though in the Sculpting section with prices and such, because it is very easy to get into territory of posting how much you want to sell a sculpt for, or using this as marketing and listing your going rates by listing how much you charged for past figures, or looking for feed back on prices (i.e., marketing research) by doing hypothetical discussions.  Because of that, we are a bit more sensitive to discussion of costs and such in the Sculpting section.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool mini!  Acetone smoothing to reduce print lines may or may not work, depending on what type of plastic filament was used to print it - ABS plastic, yes; PLA plastic, no.  Not sure about other printable plastics, and I have no clue what the default filament choice from commercial printing services might be.  Most home 3D printers come with a PLA filament sample; not sure if that is any indication of what the pros use though.

 

...After reading MojoBob's post more carefully, I should point out that acetone still may be useful for removing traces of wax support material from a PLA print.  That is beyond the scope of what I've learned about 3DP so far.  I'm leaving in the bit about smoothing print lines with acetone even though it seems not to be relevant to what Bob was talking about, just for the sake of general knowledge.

 

Carry on...

 

Kang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kang said:

Cool mini!  Acetone smoothing to reduce print lines may or may not work, depending on what type of plastic filament was used to print it - ABS plastic, yes; PLA plastic, no.  Not sure about other printable plastics, and I have no clue what the default filament choice from commercial printing services might be.  Most home 3D printers come with a PLA filament sample; not sure if that is any indication of what the pros use though.

 

...After reading MojoBob's post more carefully, I should point out that acetone still may be useful for removing traces of wax support material from a PLA print.  That is beyond the scope of what I've learned about 3DP so far.  I'm leaving in the bit about smoothing print lines with acetone even though it seems not to be relevant to what Bob was talking about, just for the sake of general knowledge.

 

 

Thanks for the kind words, Kang!

i was really hesitant about the acetone so with the next sculpt (same shapeways material) i gently went at it with a toothbrush and Dawn washing up liquid. Then i added some Isopropyl Alcohol to the mix and things got super foamy. 

 

i couldn't actually tell that much of a difference to look at it. However, it did feel rather more rough and less waxy. I slapped on some primer but i think i'm not gifted in the arts of spray paint. My finish is here and there and certainly no paintsman, i.

Anyway, i've attached some super rough old phone camera images so you can compare.

All the best,
Andrew
 

20180115_085441.jpg

20180115_085458.jpg

20180115_085643.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By aku-chan
      Presenting Sir George the Gangly (I'm sure that's a real word despite what my spellchecker says), not sure who makes him, I found George and a few other Chaos types in a box while I was tidying up.
       
      Had a lot of fun painting him, although my camera didn't like taking piccys of so much metallic paint!
       
      As always, any comments or criticisms are warming received.
    • By NyarlaBcn
      Here my latest work. I keep trying and trying with black: highliting black. I tried with blue for a while till I was quite happy with it, and now I’m trying with grey which is more difficult... it does show here, since it completely reads as grey skin but oh well, it’s still a job I’m happy with. 
      That’s Be’lakor, one of the finest demon figures ever made by any manufacturer. First chaos everchosen, first mortal to ascend to demonhood, blessed and cursed, the lord of the dark...
       
       






    • By Glitterwolf
      WARNING NUDITY so LINKS.
       
      EDIT:
       Since Photbucket got Evil I linked my Putty and Paint Page here:
       
      http://www.puttyandpaint.com/projects/15073
       
      EDITED AGAIN I HAVE A NEW HOSTING SITE>
       
      LINKED FOR NUDITY
       
      https://postimg.cc/image/rxfnuilx1/
       
      https://postimg.cc/image/4j7oiljf9/
       
      https://postimg.cc/image/hnd8vaj6t/
       
      https://postimg.cc/image/4j7oilyut/
       
       
       
      This is my first take on a bust. It's from Kabuki 1/6 scale.
      Since she's a Not Red Sonja, I gave her warpaint like Conan has.
       
      I tried a freehand tattoo, it's supposed to be a stylized Dragon/Snake eating his own tail.
       
      I had loads of fun painting her.
       
       
      Here Is my WIP if interested.
       
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/62241-ky-ra-bust-16-kabuki-by-xherman1964/


    • By JGroeling
      Finished this one up today, Been working on him a little at a time to get it done for a small competition that required painting a mini that was over 20 years old. Happy with how it turned out, as well as the Khornate Icon he's standing on. Learned a lot from what was my first real base scratchbuild. 

      WIP Forum link here

      Starting off with an artsy shot. 




       
      and a closeup

    • By Glitterwolf
      One of my favorite Fantasy races are the Undead, followed by Chaos and Reptilians.
      I already have my Lost World Project which tells a tale of Conquistadores, Reptilians, Dinosaurs, Undead and a lot more.
      However those Undead are the Egyptian Style and Pirate/Jungle style.
       
      This thread will be filled with my beloved Gothic Undead, Demons, Monsters and all things that go bump in the night.
      In my Lost World Project I tell an ongoing story, here I will post about all other dark things without coherency.
      There might be snippets of loose stories to accompany a mini or not...
       
      I hope you guys and gals and creatures will like it.
       
      Let's kick off with the critters I painted a while ago to get a feel of what is coming.
       
      Enjoy! ( or not)
       
      Bats and a Murder of Crows
       
      EDIT: I will include some Bones and minis. The bulk will be metal and I want to give this an oldschool vibe.
      Preferred minis will be, Reaper, Grenadier, Ral Partha, Rafm, Metal Magic, Otherworld and Early Citadel.
      The Asian Undead will be from Zenith since I backed the Kensei Undead Samurai KS and will get their own thread.
       
       

       
       
       


      Eldessa Necromancer

       
      Ral Partha Female Vampire
       

       
      Lurien and Aysa
       

       
      Bat Demon
       

  • Who's Online   41 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)

×