Limey72

Fire giant jailor with suspect OSL

I like it.  I agree that you NMM is on point, and I see where you were going with the OSL.  Probably should have had some light cast onto the leg and ground instead of just the chain.

• Like 2

Agreed sir I may revisit it and thank you ;)

• Like 1

Beautiful work.

I understand what you mean about the OSL. The light on the chain, instead of looking like the glow from the hammer, looks like an intense spotlight is directly on them. It needs to feel more diffuse. The glow cuts off too sharply, it should fade away as it goes down to the floor. And even the floor base will benefit from some orange light.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 3

Yeah cranky I agree and I think it will be getting more work thanks mate

• Like 3

I love it!

As been said , a little more OSL effect on the floor and leg will make it even better!

• Like 1

Fantastic work.  I agree with what the others have said regarding OSL.

It looks like you blocked the steel with gray, lined around the recesses, and highlighted.  Any other steps I'm missing? It looks great!

• Like 1

Yes guy that's pretty much it I did glaze some of the armor

I think this is a phenomenal piece. I love the NMM especially.  I don't see the OSL though, I don't mean to be rude, I just am not sure where it is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baldur8762 said:

I think this is a phenomenal piece. I love the NMM especially.  I don't see the OSL though, I don't mean to be rude, I just am not sure where it is. 

Part of the hammer is white hot and glowing on the chain below it.

• Like 1

Baldur, your not seeing it because I really missed the mark with it.  I will be adding more OSL to this pice at a later date but thank you for looking and commenting

Thank you neuro ;)

Thats a very hard place to do OSL. Because its exactly opposite your main directional (overhead) light source.  That interplay of light is much more difficult to pull off than a side or overhead OSL effect.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Limey72
      Off to the second giant, I am going with a different gold this time.  I really like the color of reapers NMM gold but I had problems with coverage so it went to the back of the line.  This one will use a gold base from scale 75 but shaded with reapers NMM gold shadow and hopefully it will work and avoid a bath in simple green

• By Thrym

The Series continues with the merriest mini of the lot, the Bones 3 Fire Giant Jailor, joining the Joten Horde of Thrym!

Now, after sitting on my desk since pulling him from his plastic bag and dry fitting him together, I've been considering what to do with him.

The first thing was the weird shaped integral base ... that needed to be fixed.  So I dug around for a base to place his base on and settled for one of the large rounds from the same Bones kickstarter.  Now, how best to expand upon the stone work of the integral base or was I going to have to dump it altogether and just use the giant.

Well,  I decided that I liked it a lot but the strange shape was a pain so I cut back the piece to the straight edges along one side.  Then using some architectural samples I have a ton of, I proceeded to make new tiles and intentionally break them.    They are 1/8" thick (3.2mm) and 2" x 2" in size.  After cutting them into squares, breaking them into bits is easy.

The rest was just a matter of doing tile work and gluing them in place.  I grouted the piece with some Loctite Craft Glue.  It's heavy duty and fills in nicely ... see below.

After a little sanding to remove the excess glue and roughing the edges, I used a hobby blade and carving tool to clean and define some of the lines in the integral base to better match the new tiles.  I also flipped one of the cut away segments from the front for the edge on the left side of the piece (near the top of the pic).

Once that was dried and cleaned, I cleaned and glued the giant together and added him to the base.

I have to do a  little filling of gaps and I did glue the chain down to the tiles so it lays across the ground as if it is landing there.  I just have to improve the pin for the dagger on his back belt and settle the keg on the hook off his belt.  Then I can coat and prime him and begin his paint job.

I'll stick to my Fire Giant Skin Triad ...

As used with the Dungeons & Dragons Fire Giant I did last year.

Of course, the Jailor of the Fire Giants won't be nearly as pristine as one of their Elite Guards, so you can expect a lot of grunge and prolly some soot.

As always, Enjoy and Stay Tuned.
    • By Limey72
      Still working on my marthrangul diorama but got sidetracked by the jailor.  Wanted to give him a molten hammer so here he is so far.

• By Limey72
      Wanted to just mess around with some water effects and base this guy on something scenic, very quick paint.

• By Limey72
      Still working away on Marth but got started on this.  Just figuring out the pose right now 

• Who's Online   35 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)