Sophie was taken

03667: Nonalla Ellinad, Elf Wizard

Reaching into my box of Unpainted Things from Four Years Ago, I drew this figure. It looked simple enough, but turned out to have an awful lot going on:

4239D48E-EE3A-44CC-81FA-F6B2C848A071.thumb.jpeg.8776672c88edeb045db5429025115aa2.jpegAD5B466A-F8C4-48B5-8E7B-3ACFC7CDD18D.thumb.jpeg.6fc6576c11aeeb8c5cfee6367fe79274.jpeg

This is probably the most fun painting I’ve ever had, there is so much going on! Shirt and boots are Gory Red, and cape is Royal Purple. The fireball is a random assortment of Lava triad colors with some Candlelight Yellow tossed in. Even got to do some freehand on the book pages, to questionable effect, but not disastrous. 

C&C appreciated, though I am curious as to the origin of her name...

• Like 19

I believe she was a DYOM (Design Your Own Mini) so the name probably was chosen by the person who came up with the concept.  I've got this one still in it's blister, she's just so original.  

If you're looking for suggestions on how to improve, probably the one thing that would give you the biggest improvement for time spent is working on techniques for eyes and faces. I know a lot of people balk at the idea of lining around eyes, mainly because the tutorials always show a black eyeliner effect.  But even just lining with a darker flesh tone gives more definition to the eyes and really helps.  It does take a lot of practice, though, so don't get discouraged!  Good brushes and a magnification visor are a huge help for most mortals.  

Your highlight/shadow color choices are great, though!  She looks similar to how I would have painted her, so thanks for sharing!  ^_^

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2017 at 10:39 PM, Sophie was taken said:

This is probably the most fun painting I’ve ever had, there is so much going on! Shirt and boots are Gory Red, and cape is Royal Purple. The fireball is a random assortment of Lava triad colors with some Candlelight Yellow tossed in. Even got to do some freehand on the book pages, to questionable effect, but not disastrous. 

C&C appreciated, though I am curious as to the origin of her name...

Cool work ::):.  It's always fun to start working on a seemingly simple mini and discover just how much stuff there is to be done with it.

As a suggestion, you can try having more contrast between highlights and shades in areas like the shirt and pants.  The variation from near-pink to near-black on the cape or near-white to near-black on the metal hand looks great, but it also makes the parts with less variation seem relatively plain.  It's something that I've been making a point of trying to improve on with my painting, and I've found that it's fairly forgiving of having very strong contrasts in shading as long as the extreme parts are kept focused (the way that you did the creases on the back of the cape is a great example of what I mean).

• Like 1