She's one of my favorite figures. I have a piece I completed probably a decade ago in enamels, and another that is 90% painted (but all done 7 years ago - just needs finishing touches). Keep trying on the eye method - it takes a bit of getting used to. How's the point on your detail brush? Lately I've been doing almost everything with a size 2, but it holds a really fine point. 

I'm impressed by you jumping into whites/pale grays. It looks good! I'd suggest Ghost White or Leather White as part of the highlight stage, instead of Linen White though. Linen has a little bit of yellow, not seen in the Cloudy and Rainy Grays. Ghost White has a wee bit of blue, and Leather White is much more... bland and gray. The tiny bit of yellow in Linen might be why it seems slightly dirty. If you like it though, then right on! 

Keep up the good work! She's great ::D:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

She's one of my favorite figures. I have a piece I completed probably a decade ago in enamels, and another that is 90% painted (but all done 7 years ago - just needs finishing touches). Keep trying on the eye method - it takes a bit of getting used to. How's the point on your detail brush? Lately I've been doing almost everything with a size 2, but it holds a really fine point. 

I'm impressed by you jumping into whites/pale grays. It looks good! I'd suggest Ghost White or Leather White as part of the highlight stage, instead of Linen White though. Linen has a little bit of yellow, not seen in the Cloudy and Rainy Grays. Ghost White has a wee bit of blue, and Leather White is much more... bland and gray. The tiny bit of yellow in Linen might be why it seems slightly dirty. If you like it though, then right on! 

Keep up the good work! She's great ::D:

Thanks Cyr! I think your comments in that other thread were partly responsible for my making this purchase in the first place ::D:.

My brushes are wrecked. No good points on any of them, which didn’t help at all.

I don’t have Ghost or Leather White, but they’re on the list now. I did use some Maggot White as I had it out to do highlighting on the blue sections, and some Dragon White as well. I did want to see what the Linen White would do, though. I think you’re right about it being the source of the dirty look.

Also, the waist cords were done with Palomino Gold, mostly because I finally located my bottle of Palomino Gold that would have been super helpful on at least three recent minis. It was in a box that also contained a package of brand new (cheapo) brushes, each with a really nice point. <_<

Edited by Sophie was taken
  • Like 1

The Linen white is super good for highlighting yellows and greens, and white when the non-white shading is more in the beige scale, instead of gray. Possibly even good for oranges and reds, but those are tough. 

If you're looking for some good cost brushes, the Virtuoso set on Amazon is really good bang for the buck. They're good synthetics, come with a case (can be used later for good brushes), and have good customer service. I'm using them to train Sir Cyr, and occasionally for my stuff. I like the flat brushes of theirs a bunch. 

Great to snag a high end kolinsky, but you can do a lot with decent synthetics too (especially while learning paint-on-brush management). 

The Palomino on the belt was a good choice. The belt shows up well, without being out of place. 

• Like 1

I love Palomino Gold!!  She looks great! 

As for the eyes just remember we learn more from our failures than from our successes.

But really you are doing great!

• Like 1

Garrity eyes have always been tricky to paint IMO, it's not just you.  Good job!

Kang

• Like 2

Looking good! I too struggle with the eyes, but i have gotten better, and the last mini i painted had really nice, realistic(ish) looking eyes. I found too that a larger brush with a fine point is much more useful. Shame i found that out after buying super small ones. They dry out instantly in my climate. I havent used a #2 though, maybe i should try. 

• Like 2

I had been doing everything with a 0, until I gave my 2 a whirl. My 1 isn't as good a brush for some reason. Probably manufacturing error (likes to split). The 2 is so good that I can use it on eyes though. You do have to be very careful to blot the excess paint out though, or else you gush it when you put it to the figure. Once you get used to balancing the paint on the brush, it gives you a TON more working time, without necessarily sacrificing tininess. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sophie was taken
      Did another random pull from the Box of Yesteryears, this time drawing yet another oldie, Nicole of the Blade:

Nice bright pics this time, but they have washed out the darks slightly. 

So. Garrity Eyes strike again, and these were the smallest yet. 

The first thing that caught my eye was her chain mail. In the past this has been steel/silver, so I wanted to change it up and do a nice bronze. Unfortunately, the closest I had was Antique Gold, so I went with that.

Basically everything not flesh or hair got a base coat of Cloudy Gray, then went metallic with Honed Steel, Blade Steel, and Polished Silver, with Antique Gold for the filigree work and the dragon on the shield. Then hit everything with a light Black Ink wash to grunge it up and fill the cracks, and a little bit heavier to line around her legs and skirt and such.

Her hair is a mix of 3:1 Desert Sand and Leather Brown, which I only note because I don’t want to forget it. Again. And finally some purple for her hair ribbon to counter the grungy and morose. 

C&C welcome!
    • By Maledrakh
      For the Company of Wolves:

A real live one:

This is the 77437 Winter Wolf from the third Reaper Bones kickstarter. And about the size of a horse, so I think of it as a werewolf’s full wolf form. Or a Dire Wolf as needs be.
      Miniature sculpted by Sandra Garrity.
      Bespoke 50x25mm 3D printed base.

and the real dead ones

Two pairs of 77533 Dread Wolves from the Graveyard Expansion from the Bones 3 KS.

One pair brown and one pair grey. Ended up rather samey…Too dark perhaps.
      Bespoke 35x25mm 3D printed bases.

In the immortal words of Lord Flashheart: "Woof Woof!"

• By ub3r_n3rd
      Decided to have some fun today as I was digging thru my figures pulling out stuff I am going to put in the BOGW. I ran across the hydra and remembered that next weekend I planned on throwing my d&d players up against one. 

3-4 hours later I have a painted up hydra on a scenic base from secret weapon miniatures. Added some water effects for a tiny swampy pond beneath it. 

I’d love to hear your C&C!

• By Sanael
      well, it seems to have been not quite a year since my last post, and a bit longer since my last post to Show Off. In the meantime, Nissiana and I have purchased a house, which ate most of the Fall, Winter and Spring, and our Summer has been, per usual, filled with rehearsals and performances. Although I am currently imbroiled with a production of "The Three Musketeers," I've managed to unpack some paint kit and brought it to work. My recent lunch breaks have yielded a passel of kobolds and a pile of rats, both of which will likely lurk the basements of Sharn (or the waste drain of an alchemist's lab, in the case of that one rat) soon enough.
      Anyway, these are all to a very rough "look ma, I finished!" standard, mostly just to knock some rust off my brushes. Hope you enjoy.
      Penny bases will be blacked eventually.

• By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      I saw this post from Sculptor Sandra Garrity reposted by one of the places I follow on facebook, talking about a company who is allegedly producing miniatures she owns the IP on(from the Ex-Grenadier) without her permission

Sandra Garrity
        I have given a lot of thought to what to say about Mirliton/Stefano Grazzini's continued illegal production and sale of my figures.
      Despite being notified repe...atedly since 2006, and being sent legal documents showing that I, and now also Gin Fritter at Armorcast, legally own certain Ex-Grenadier figures, Mirliton/ (Stefano Grazzini) brazenly continues to sell our figures without our permission. His saying that he will take this matter up with me privately is a joke! Mr.Grazzini has failed to contact me or respond to my emails.His refusal to stop producing my figures, and respond to my emails, shows he has no intention of doing the honest, reputable thing. He knows it would be prohibitively expensive for Armorcast and me to take legal action. Since he is in Italy, he just does whatever he pleases.
      Mr Grazzini, if you are the reputable person that, you claim to be, stop selling the Ex-Grenadier figures that Armorcast and I legally own. It is now up to you to do the right thing and respect our intellectual property rights.

I know that in the past I've seen the company recommended as a source of some of the old Grenadier range (and may well have recommended it myself) when people who are looking for them ask, but given what's said above I'd hesitate to do so now as I don't approve of unauthorised copying of other peoples work for profit

Now I know this is only one side of the story, and that the IP of some stuff from defunct companies becomes complex (eg Ral Partha Europe is still legitimately able to manufacture minis that Ral Partha itself lost the rights to when it folded/got bought), but where there are issues because of this you've got to at least talk about things (after all if you're convinced what you're doing is legit, why not say so and provide the evidence)
  • Who's Online   49 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)