Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
This miniature I've had for a while, since about 2008. I tried painting her a while ago, but I got stuck. I don't know about the rest of you, but I find painting horses to be very difficult - mostly because my colours just never seemed quite right.
In November, I had to lay in supplies for over winter and that meant buying the last of my paint restocks from Coat D'Arms. While I was there, I noticed in their military line they had some Horse Tone colours. I figured, hey, why not? At least they'd probably wind up the proper colour.
So Ms. Redstorm here was my first try using Coat D'Arms 224 Horst Tone Bay. The other horse tones are Dun, Chestnut, and Roan. If anybody is interested in seeing these in use, I have a number of horses and will be ordering more in a few days so I can do a WIP to show the different ones. Having pre-mixed horse colours simplifies the task quite a lot, and four colours is enough to add variety to a mounted group. I really enjoyed painting this miniature, and I never thought painting a horse would be so much fun.
Also, if you're wondering why I filed off the intricate design of her shield that shows in store photos it's because her on-foot version (Vanessa of the Blade) I painted some time ago came with some pitting on the shield. As it was not enough to really bother complaining about, I merely filed it off and painted a simple quartered pattern. Since the mounted version should match my footed version, I did the same here.
So if you want to see a WIP of the horse tone colours, let me know! I'll pick 4 Reaper horsepeople out of my collection when the new ones come in and paint 'em up.
By Sophie was taken
Did another random pull from the Box of Yesteryears, this time drawing yet another oldie, Nicole of the Blade:
Nice bright pics this time, but they have washed out the darks slightly.
So. Garrity Eyes strike again, and these were the smallest yet.
The first thing that caught my eye was her chain mail. In the past this has been steel/silver, so I wanted to change it up and do a nice bronze. Unfortunately, the closest I had was Antique Gold, so I went with that.
Basically everything not flesh or hair got a base coat of Cloudy Gray, then went metallic with Honed Steel, Blade Steel, and Polished Silver, with Antique Gold for the filigree work and the dragon on the shield. Then hit everything with a light Black Ink wash to grunge it up and fill the cracks, and a little bit heavier to line around her legs and skirt and such.
Her hair is a mix of 3:1 Desert Sand and Leather Brown, which I only note because I don’t want to forget it. Again. And finally some purple for her hair ribbon to counter the grungy and morose.
For the Company of Wolves:
A real live one:
This is the 77437 Winter Wolf from the third Reaper Bones kickstarter. And about the size of a horse, so I think of it as a werewolf’s full wolf form. Or a Dire Wolf as needs be.
Miniature sculpted by Sandra Garrity.
Bespoke 50x25mm 3D printed base.
and the real dead ones
Two pairs of 77533 Dread Wolves from the Graveyard Expansion from the Bones 3 KS.
One pair brown and one pair grey. Ended up rather samey…Too dark perhaps.
Bespoke 35x25mm 3D printed bases.
In the immortal words of Lord Flashheart: "Woof Woof!"
Decided to have some fun today as I was digging thru my figures pulling out stuff I am going to put in the BOGW. I ran across the hydra and remembered that next weekend I planned on throwing my d&d players up against one.
3-4 hours later I have a painted up hydra on a scenic base from secret weapon miniatures. Added some water effects for a tiny swampy pond beneath it.
I’d love to hear your C&C!
well, it seems to have been not quite a year since my last post, and a bit longer since my last post to Show Off. In the meantime, Nissiana and I have purchased a house, which ate most of the Fall, Winter and Spring, and our Summer has been, per usual, filled with rehearsals and performances. Although I am currently imbroiled with a production of "The Three Musketeers," I've managed to unpack some paint kit and brought it to work. My recent lunch breaks have yielded a passel of kobolds and a pile of rats, both of which will likely lurk the basements of Sharn (or the waste drain of an alchemist's lab, in the case of that one rat) soon enough.
Anyway, these are all to a very rough "look ma, I finished!" standard, mostly just to knock some rust off my brushes. Hope you enjoy.
Penny bases will be blacked eventually.
Who's Online 46 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Reverend Shartan
- Chris Palmer
- Bane Of Humanity
- Pezler the Polychromatic
- Dilvish the Deliverer
- Valygar Corthala
- Mad Jack
- Cranky Dog