wdmartin

Swapping Weapons

So I'm starting a project on this fellow, 60190 Skreed Gorewillow:

skreed-001.jpg.62357c0e37b542262eb549bcb7e52e52.jpg

I want to swap out his dagger for the shovel on his left.  Would I be better advised to:

A) Cut off the ends of the dagger and drill a hole through his hand sufficiently large for the shovel handle to slide into, or

B) Cut the ends off the dagger, then cut the shovel in two and pin each part separately to the hand from above and below, or

C) Something else?

I'm leaning towards A, but wondered if anyone has any suggestions.

Plan A could be a disaster on a metal mini. It is harder to adjust an incorrect angle in metal. It works on most Plastic Minis, partucularly the Rubbery ones like D&D minis and most Bones. No matter what, DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO USE AN ELECTRIC DRILL!! With any type of mini, but metal more so, the drill can slip easily and cause a hole lot of trouble in your fingers or worse!

Plan B has another problem, lining up the different parts to look right. but if you think you can manage it, Plan B is most likely to be successful.

Plan C is replace the handle of the shovel with a thinker pin and just use that as the handle! Plan C can be part of either previous plan too.

GF

• Like 1

If it's going to be a model used for gaming, I would go with plan A.   With gluing the shovel to the hand in two pieces, there is a good chance you won't create strong enough bonds to stand up to the rigors of tabletop play, and you will constantly be having to regaleone part or the other.  And if you're going to pin into the hand, you might as well just drill a little further and go right through. :)

Another option C would be to file a deep narrow V into the front of the hand, glue the shovel handle into that, and then use some greenstuff to sculpt some new fingers wrapping around the front of the shovel.

With that particular shovel, since it has a handle that is very close to a constant diameter, I'd probably clip, drill, and insert the shovel. But I've used all of the other methods mentioned here in various situations, as they all solve slightly different problems.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to try Plan A.  @Generic Fighter, don't worry, I won't use an electric drill.  I've got a pin vise that'll do nicely.

That article on The Craft is handy, good link.

Thanks, all!

• Like 2