image.jpeg.ceb5999a758905138846cafcfe9fbf1f.jpeg

This is a plastic figure of an extinct mammal known as a Uintatherium, based on a painting by Charles R. Knight.  These started showing up in bags of chinasaurs around the time Gary Gygax was statting up the axe-beak, which was a Marx Diatryma.  Uintatheriums in high quality army man plastic are still in production to this day, but say "China" instead of "Hong Kong" on their belly.  I might have a soft spot for cheap toys.

This is William.

Hippopotamus ("William"), Faience

William is the 3800-year-old unofficial mascot of The Met.  He's made of faience, which looks like pottery, feels like concrete, and is actually a sort of glazed artificial sandstone.  He was swiped from the tomb of a New Kingdom Egyptian bureaucrat around 1910.

This is what happens when one feels that scenery should be interesting and has been exposed to too many frogcidents:

38058563105_c23c7da0dc_c.jpg

Professor Tweedly-hotep (tenure can last a very long time if you're genuinely good at Egyptology) points out the significance of the lotus markings.

38058562615_95632723ed_c.jpg

He then goes on to explain how the invention of the cutie mark allowed the Pharaohs to dominate the toy markets of the ancient world.

• Like 17
  • Haha 5

And here I was expecting the standard grey drybrush for statues. This is much cooler.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Zink said:

And here I was expecting the standard grey drybrush for statues. This is much cooler.

...a definite improvement. The Blue Beasty is VERY IMAGINATIVE AND WELL DONE!

• Like 1

Was just saying hi to this lil fella at the MET last week. 

20180209_160303.thumb.jpg.7ec6760b7f9872fe75a6de5d37b52e09.jpg

Definitely think you caught the feel of em perfectly. 

Well done. 

• Like 7