Valthorn_Illian

Val Fails at Painting KDM

The skin is a good tone and the hair is nice. I like the white. It's bright and the shading is clean. There's not a lot of shade over the white which is important for keeping white nice and bright.

OSL is a pretty advanced technique so kudos to you for trying it. You need to thin the paint a little bit more. The light on the arm stops in a very sharp line that could either be a tide mark or an intentional choice, I can't tell. The thing that drew my attention to it is that the light is going to diffuse as it goes around the curved object. Also, the light isn't going to end on her thigh. I'd recommend finding an LED or a flashlight (if you have a maglight, you can pull off the reflector and turn it on) and put the light where the figure's light is (right under the lantern would work) and then try to copy where that light falls. If you dim all the lights and take a black and white photograph it's easier to see where the light will fall.

Kingdom Death does seem to lend itself to OSL so I"m sure you'll get lots of practice. :)

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

I like it!  She looks awesome!  Don't be so hard on yourself!

I also agree with @SirLarpsAlot that the OSL paint should be thinned a little more, like a glaze.

Yeah, I realized that a little ways in and it was too late by that point so I had to roll with it. Definitely gonna go thinner on the next ones.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Evilhalfling
      so 93 this year, one less than 2015, but 20 more than last year. 
      wierdly 3 large dragons were painted in each year three years.
      would have done less but went on a huge blitz of kingdom of death after getting the set in october. 

Mostly Bones - I did count the smaller dracolisk as one of my three dragons, but I did remove legs and re-sculpt. 

core villains from kingdom death - the Phoenix and final boss are not finished, and will take a while. 

Survivors, starting four on the right, gradually gaining better weapons and armor.  
      the last one is built wearing armor made from the phoenix and antelope armor kits. 

unfinshed things & 3d printed terrain. 

• By SamuraiJack
      KD:M Kickstarter 2
      On November 25th, Black Friday. We will be launching our 2nd Kingdom Death: Monster campaign. The focus of the campaign will start on a reprint of the sold out Kingdom Death: Monster core set with an 1.4 ruleset. (Current version of the game is 1.31). An upgrade pack with the rulebook and updated cards will be available for existing fans.
      Beyond that my lips are sealed. Except for this tiny teaser of course.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-monster-15/description
    • By annexation
      Finished painting my Fade a while back, thought I'd share her here.

She took a long time to finish, but taught me much about how to do skin. Reaper skin triads are the friggin' best!

She isn't nude, but if the mods find her to be too NSFW, I'd be happy to hide the images behind links.

• By ub3r_n3rd
      Magically Distracted

She sat on her favorite stool, having gotten mostly undressed and relaxed, gently swirling the goblet of red wine in her hand as she read through the grimore in her lap... closing her eyes she gently concentrated on the spell that was before her... suddenly the books piled around her lifted up in the air as if they had minds of their own and were caught in a small windstorm. She giggled to herself and took another long drink of the wine from her goblet and continued to study...

---------------------

This was a really fun project that I started up in April of this year. My goal was to get her done in time for the 'eavier metal online contest (Facebook) and see if I could place or perhaps get a random draw. I ended up uploading her about 10 minutes late, so I have no idea at the time of doing this post if she will be considered in the contest or if she will be disqualified. Either way, I had fun, I had tons of amazing feedback during the WIP and a lot of people cheering me on to get it finished.

I present to you "Magically Distracted" a NSFW Kingdom Death figure in the 54mm scale, she is a limited edition resin release. Please feel free to give your comments and critiques. I'm going to check and see if I am allowed to bring a nude figure to ReaperCon this year for entry into their painters contest or not. If not, she'll stay home as I do have plenty of other things to enter as well. A few firsts on this one, I did some elaborate tattoos, magical floating books, writing in books in freehand, a completely nude figure, texturing pattern, Venus dimples, and last but not least sheer stockings (which were a lot of fun and a lot of work!).

First - pics that are SFW and then I'll post some NSFW links (special thanks to @Thrym for hooking me up with his site for hosting as Facebook links expire) and for helping me out with the really cool title placard).

NSFW Links
      One
      Two
      Three
      Four
      Five

ETA: Better pics after a bit of clean-up to the OSL and added red ink to the drink.
    • By ub3r_n3rd
      Starting this one up as it now has my attention due to a contest on bookfarce by the 'eavier metal facebook group. This is Distracted by Kingdom Death, she's a 54mm 1st run collector's edition resin miniature that I couldn't pass up a while back when she was released for a very limited time. 

This figure is completely nude so she is definitely NSFW and I'll make sure to link any pics that would violate forum rules.

Let's start off with the pic I can show!

The NSFW pics that show the body parts -
      Front
      Side
      Side

As I go along, I would like very honest and forthright comments and critiques to push me as she will be a contest entry and I may bring her to ReaperCon as well!
  • Who's Online   21 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)