Gaslands by Osprey Publishing.  So, I have been curious about this title for some time and still don't actually have it but have finally gotten some details.  Turns out it is a Car Wars style game using Wings of War style template movement!  I am so pumped up to buy a bunch of Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars and convert the elf out of them!  Cannot wait for this to reach the store!

9781472818546_1.jpg

Templates.jpg?w=1500

• Like 8

There are a few companies who store 28mm scifi / modern vehicles.

Mostly resin and expensive but very cool stuff including a wrecked vehicle and stuff like traffic cones and road blocks.

Bones IV will have some traffic cones as well.

Maybe useful.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2017 at 9:31 PM, Erifnogard said:

Cannot wait for this to reach the store

Aaargh!

I still enjoy playing with cars, and this would give me an excuse to do so...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, strawhat said:

Aaargh!

I still enjoy playing with cars, and this would give me an excuse to do so...

(Looks at bin of Matchbox-type cars.)

(Looks at other bin of larger minis-scale cars.)

(Surreptitiously nudges them behind furniture with foot.)

... What?

On 12/15/2017 at 1:56 AM, Glitterwolf said:

There are a few companies who store 28mm scifi / modern vehicles.

Mostly resin and expensive but very cool stuff including a wrecked vehicle and stuff like traffic cones and road blocks.

Bones IV will have some traffic cones as well.

Maybe useful.

Does this game call for Matchbox-scale cars or 28mm-scale cars? Or would both scales be suitable?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just went to Target and bought $20 of Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars for this. Probably not even going to repaint them as the ones I chose fit the theme pretty well as is. Might look into scavenging weapons from Bones CAVs but I still need to pick up the rules before any conversions.

IMG_1214.thumb.jpg.a22ab821b755e4f5353f7f345ccd9248.jpg

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 5

I picked this up in Dec, and have been busy making terrain and converting cars.   I hope to get in some games at the FLGS in the next week or two, and I might take materials for pickup games at AdeptiCon.

• Like 1

Had a friend laser engrave some custom skid dice for this and just painted them.  I love them!

CustomSkidDice.thumb.jpg.5a149b41ec19343ef57259f9034dd9af.jpg

• Like 11

A buddy of mine just ordered the rulebook for this, and while I don't have my own copy yet, I'm already itching to start raiding toy stores for kitbashes. I understand that while geared towards generic die-cast cars, there are specific sizes that define the cars within the game(to be treated as a bus, the final model needs to be X long, stuff like that). Does anybody have those dimensions handy?

13 hours ago, Weird-O said:

A buddy of mine just ordered the rulebook for this, and while I don't have my own copy yet, I'm already itching to start raiding toy stores for kitbashes. I understand that while geared towards generic die-cast cars, there are specific sizes that define the cars within the game(to be treated as a bus, the final model needs to be X long, stuff like that). Does anybody have those dimensions handy?

There is a recomended minimum size chart, but it is not a huge deal.

bikes 20x30mm

cars and things 30x60mm

monstertruck/tank 40x80mm

bus 40x100mm

war rig cab 50x80mm trailer 50x 150mm

good system. but the scenarios in the rule book are kind of weak. 

• Like 2

I've been thinking about picking this up, but using HO or even N scale cars instead. 

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

I've been thinking about picking this up, but using HO or even N scale cars instead. 

That would work fine. You probably want to scale the templates accordingly but honestly it would probably play just fine even if you didn’t. 

41 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

That would work fine. You probably want to scale the templates accordingly but honestly it would probably play just fine even if you didn’t. 

I figured it would. And scaling the templates is not difficult for me. 

the hold up right now is deciding which scale I want to do.  The larger HO Scale has a better variety of cars and figures available through model railroading sources and more potential for detailed conversions, but at N-Scale I could combine it with CAV figures. 

My group kind of hit the point of frustration with this game last night. Building the cars was a lot of fun, and the premise was great. But we just kept running into rules issues that couldn't be easily resolved. We'll probably try again if/when they FAQ/Errata the issues we were having. (most of which had to do with spin timing, the thumper, the crazy points costs attached to gear, and perks that are either useless or bizarrely OP)

Have you asked on their forums? They've got a fairly quick answer time in their rules section.

Edited by Weird-O
  • Like 1