Phoenix Rising

89004 - Pathfinder Goblin Warchanter

This is my first to-completion detailed mini outside of the three LTP-2 figures. I'm looking to start a Rise of the Runelords game and needed a warchanter figure; this one from Reaper is wonderful in its detail and goblinesque insanity. Unfortunately, I think the molds are a little off-kilter on the Bones version; there are several spots on the figure where one side butts up against a flat spot from the other half of the mold - you can even see one of them in the Reaper website image.

I found myself departing from the LTP painting order and starting with "inner" areas like eyes and mouth as well as isolated details like the whip and blades. Skin and leather were left until late, with details on top of those the last. Don't know if this is a good thing or not, but I felt more sure in painting up to those areas rather than filling them in and inevitably splattering over multi-layered skin tones.

Thanks to the folks at CMPA for the painting tips as I'm learning. Wish I could have been to the holiday party; finished this ravaging beauty as compensation.

PathfinderGoblinWarchanterFront_512.jpg.28dbe444912dd1e0670c8a1cb199a7d5.jpgPathfinderGoblinWarchanterBack_512.jpg.9b5d14ff84a44d9af7dc3fe9606e7299.jpg

• Like 20

That's a nice color scheme.  I don't think I've seen that approach before for a goblin, but the skin and hair both set off nicely from the leathery bits.

5 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I found myself departing from the LTP painting order and starting with "inner" areas like eyes and mouth as well as isolated details like the whip and blades. Skin and leather were left until late, with details on top of those the last. Don't know if this is a good thing or not, but I felt more sure in painting up to those areas rather than filling them in and inevitably splattering over multi-layered skin tones.

Going for the deeper/hard-to-reach areas before the parts around them is something that I've gotten in the habit of doing, too.  Like you said, it takes away some of the pressure about not messing up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ash Adler said:

That's a nice color scheme. I don't think I've seen that approach before for a goblin, but the skin and hair both set off nicely from the leathery bits.

Pathfinder goblins tend between green, brown, and gray with blue to purple tongues and orange or red eyes - definitely not a D&D goblin. I don't recall seeing any PF goblins with hair in illustrations; that's one of the zany things about this particular sculpt, and one that I like just for the hairdo.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Unfortunately, I think the molds are a little off-kilter on the Bones version; there are several spots on the figure where one side butts up against a flat spot from the other half of the mold - you can even see one of them in the Reaper website image.

Great job on the overall mini! Those flat spots might just be mold lines. Sometimes the plastic extrudes out of the mold way more than usual, especially in close cut areas. The only things I see are mold lines in the store picture, which can be easily removed with a sharp exacto-knife. 

I think that's what you are referring to, but I can't be certain without a picture to what you are referencing. Mold lines are more obvious on some minis than others.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

[...] Those flat spots might just be mold lines. Sometimes the plastic extrudes out of the mold way more than usual, especially in close cut areas. The only things I see are mold lines in the store picture, which can be easily removed with a sharp exacto-knife. 

I think that's what you are referring to, but I can't be certain without a picture to what you are referencing. Mold lines are more obvious on some minis than others.

Yeah - they look like mold lines, but sadly they aren't. (I did remove a couple of those - a first attempt for me, too.) I must have spent a couple of hours with various lighting and vision aids trying to figure out if they were mold lines. I even came back after I had painted to see if I was mistaken, and the feel of the brush told the same story. There's depth and detail on the far side of these spots.

The visible bit in the Reaper shot is on the lower side of the left-hand ponytail between the two ties. Look at my post images; the flat spot is still visible on the front as a darker area with light lower edge, but the back shows all hair, all the time. Another spot not visible in the pictures is on the left foot; it made matching up leather vs foot a bit challenging. It's obviously not the entire figure, but where it happens it's in the same direction each time; can't really understand what happened, and it doesn't look like it was there on the metal version.

Overall it's not so bad with the paint, but it wouldn't do for a display quality mini. I'm just using mine for gaming.

• Like 1

Very cool paint job and thank you for the daylight photo too since the colors are much better in the sun.

Maybe a little word of advice would be to go bolder onto shadows and highlights. Mini painting is all about contrast since our poor eyes (admittedly some of ours are poorer than others) can not really comprehend details of the mini if not accentuated by contrast. Much like make-up really. ^_^ 

So next time try to be bolder. You will not be sorry.

Keep it up! 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2017 at 10:39 PM, VolksFest said:

Maybe a little word of advice would be to go bolder onto shadows and highlights. Mini painting is all about contrast since our poor eyes (admittedly some of ours are poorer than others) can not really comprehend details of the mini if not accentuated by contrast. Much like make-up really. ^_^ 

So next time try to be bolder. You will not be sorry.

Keep it up! 

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah... I had noticed that from others' painting and from my comparative lack of contrast in my LTP2 figures. I moonlight as a nature photographer; while eyesight is an issue for me, I'm good on colors and tend toward understatement or "natural" as much as I can get away with in the market. For figure painting, picking up the highlight/shadow levels is going to be an ongoing lesson. Hopefully I'll be reminded of that until I get it right!

• Like 1