Jump to content

kristof65

Vehicle ideas for Reaper minis

Recommended Posts

Some of you have probably seen my Tycho AFV for my Nova Corp figures, and the Rottweiler Grav Tank I'm working on for my IMEF figures.  They've been quite fun to create. And now I've been going through my collection of other Reaper Chronoscope figures, and I've realized I've got a few other groups of figures that I could make similar sized units from. If I do that, it would be only fair if I gave them each a vehicle.

Since it will be a little bit before I actually get around to any of these, I thought I would ask you all what sort of look you would envision for vehicles for these various factions:

Cyber-Reavers - Given the Terminator vibe of these minis, I'm thinking something along the lines of the Hunter Killer flying craft from the movies. 

Kulathi - ???

Bathalians -  ???

Blackstar Corsairs - ???. I'm thinking maybe some sort of drop pod or drop ship for them? Or maybe just a bigger walker? 

The Gray Aliens already have a flying saucer, so they're good. 

That's what I have in my collection already (mostly thanks to 3 Bones Kickstarters).  But I went ahead and browsed through the Chronoscope line in the store, and while I don't really see any other groups of minis that are big enough to make complete units, there are a few that were inspiring, should additional minis for them come along:

Illyrians (2 minis) - ??? 

Blood Nebula Mercenary (1 mini) - ???


Alien Overlords (3 minis) - ???

Sligg (3 minis) - ???

There are also enough sci-fi hero types, such as Kirby McDowell Space Privateer and Bonnie Futuristic Heroine, to assemble mercenary like unit. They'll need a vehicle too. 

So let's see your thoughts and ideas. 




 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bathalians make me think of the Tyranids, so a living bio-ship or bio-tank would come to mind.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kristof65 said:

There are also enough sci-fi hero types, such as Kirby McDowell Space Privateer and Bonnie Futuristic Heroine, to assemble mercenary like unit. They'll need a vehicle too. 

 

IMG_1026.JPG

Whatever the vehicle, it'll need this paint scheme.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cyber reavers: Shipping container/ tractor trailer. They look like cheap mass production machines, so I could see them just shipped around in a box so that people don't realize what is about to happen until the door swings open

 

kulathi, their weaponry is obviously technological, and has a bunch of smooth curves. I could see them having something sort of like a starwars cloud car with 2 fuselages sharing a single wing, lots of big smooth curves.

 

Bathalians no tools on the minis to hint at a physical culture, no clothes either. I could see them just having larger animals. alternatively, if they were going to have a vehicle, they would need something with a very large, low, crew compartment, or something that uses a lift system. maybe something very open that uses a lot of BS energy fields to work?

 

blackstars Drop ship/shuttle. these seem like the guys you send for a boarding action, so maybe something with a heavily shielded prow and a hull cutter

 

Illyrians retro style space ship, something that would look right on a prog rock album cover

 

alien overlord no ship of their own, just commandeers other peoples' ships

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Bathalians make me think of the Tyranids, so a living bio-ship or bio-tank would come to mind.

Now that you mention it, yeah, they do.  

Of course, since my organic sculpting skills are relatively non-existent, that will have to wait. 

 

8 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

 

IMG_1026.JPG

Whatever the vehicle, it'll need this paint scheme.


Oh heck yeah.  Thought didn't cross my mind until I read your post, but now it has to.   There was this Rhino variant posted to Thingiverse last night that might work well, too:

9f64efd9c1498f0fa603d93647727aa0_preview_featured.jpg

I could see that in the A-Team colors. 

 

26 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

cyber reavers: Shipping container/ tractor trailer. They look like cheap mass production machines, so I could see them just shipped around in a box so that people don't realize what is about to happen until the door swings open

 

kulathi, their weaponry is obviously technological, and has a bunch of smooth curves. I could see them having something sort of like a starwars cloud car with 2 fuselages sharing a single wing, lots of big smooth curves.

 

Bathalians no tools on the minis to hint at a physical culture, no clothes either. I could see them just having larger animals. alternatively, if they were going to have a vehicle, they would need something with a very large, low, crew compartment, or something that uses a lift system. maybe something very open that uses a lot of BS energy fields to work?

 

blackstars Drop ship/shuttle. these seem like the guys you send for a boarding action, so maybe something with a heavily shielded prow and a hull cutter

 

Illyrians retro style space ship, something that would look right on a prog rock album cover

 

alien overlord no ship of their own, just commandeers other peoples' ships

 

Some good ideas there. 

Keep them coming. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Bathalians make me think of the Tyranids, so a living bio-ship or bio-tank would come to mind.

 

 

 

 

Exactly this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Something like this for the Overlords

 

 

image.thumb.png.b03252c61f40547f5068440d512ddeb6.png

Ooohh, shiny!!!

That's sharp looking, @Glitterwolf - where did you find it? I'd like to see some of the artist's other stuff, if there is any. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Ooohh, shiny!!!

That's sharp looking, @Glitterwolf - where did you find it? I'd like to see some of the artist's other stuff, if there is any. 

 

 

Either Deviant Art or Pintrest..I googled Scifi Mercenary Vehicle..

 

Couldn't reproduce at once, but there are many cool vehicles to look at and get inspiration from.

 

Also...Steam Community for some reason, just google it and enjoy.

 

image.thumb.png.433a5af9c8d71bb24a8d6eeb7070fff1.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

Either Deviant Art or Pintrest..I googled Scifi Mercenary Vehicle..

 

Couldn't reproduce at once, but there are many cool vehicles to look at and get inspiration from.

 

Also...Steam Community for some reason, just google it and enjoy.


I have a Pinterest board or three full of cool vehicle ideas from my own Googling. Haven't used that particular search term yet, though. 

There is just SOOOOOO MUCH cool stuff out there that I doubt I'll find/see it all.  That's one of the reasons I started this topic - to see what other people have found, and thought was cool and/or appropriate for the forces I listed. 

I should comment that anything I actually attempt to create will not be directly taken from any of the art others have done. One, I'm not good enough yet at 3d modeling to match concept art, and two, respect for other people's copyrights. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kristof65 said:


I have a Pinterest board or three full of cool vehicle ideas from my own Googling. Haven't used that particular search term yet, though. 

There is just SOOOOOO MUCH cool stuff out there that I doubt I'll find/see it all.  That's one of the reasons I started this topic - to see what other people have found, and thought was cool and/or appropriate for the forces I listed. 

I should comment that anything I actually attempt to create will not be directly taken from any of the art others have done. One, I'm not good enough yet at 3d modeling to match concept art, and two, respect for other people's copyrights. 

 

Of course, but inspiration is free!

 

Found that first one,

 

 

Use Scifi Battle car and see more:

 

image.thumb.png.5d4e44bb16581ed22f81f9c10c22fda6.png

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2017 at 2:03 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Bathalians make me think of the Tyranids, so a living bio-ship or bio-tank would come to mind.

 

Along with Tyranids, look at the Zerg from Starcraft. The Zerg are also based on the 'nids, so heavily so that I'm sure the only reason GW never sued them was because Blizzard had some deep pockets, and they've got some cool bio-ship designs.

 

Same thing with the Blackstar Corsairs. Look at the old Starcraft Terrans. The ones from Starcraft 1, not Starcraft 2 where they got super bulky. The Terran Dropship is pretty barebones, but they've also got stuff like the Arclight Siege Tank.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Kulathi ... kryomek skimmers come to mind ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Jasper_the_2nd
      Back in December, when I finally had some time and motivation to get back to painting, I decided I'd really quickly do up some IMEF marines.  Just table top, didn't even clean up mold lines or anything.
      Well, do primarily to being easily distracted by......what was I saying?  Oh yes, easily  distracted by other bright shiny objects, it took me over 4 months to get them all done.  Here is a quick group shot.
       

      I still don't have any real futuristic urban terrain to use to shoot these guys.
      Reggie and Torch still need to be sealed, but looking at the forecast it could be June before it stops raining.
      The rest have already seen combat as some mercs for hire last week in Savage Rifts.
       
      WIP ( with many individual shots) is here:  http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/78476-jasper-gets-back-to-painting-with-some-imef-marines/
       
       
    • By Boaz
      With the arrival of a load of bases my growing Kulathi force have started to take shape and I thought I'd share the frce development ... starting with the command section...
       
      To the right the yet to be painted artillery observer and spotter ... to the left medic and orderly ... center is the force commander and aid ...

       
      Next up inter basic grunts, the Strike teams ... with more waiting fore base coat ...

       
       Then we have the Fire teams, supporting the strike teams advice. ..

       
       Sweeping around the flanks or charging up through cover is the Hound teams ... with specially bread and trained Kulathi to keep up with the hounds greater speed on the battle field ...

       
      A most resent development are Kulathi heavy gunners ... packing heavy fire power for structure breaching or armored vehicle hunting ... a preview below ...

       
      Striking with ruthless determination and single minded ferocity thr Kulathi have quickly established a reputation as deadly and efficient combatants on almost any battlefield. 
    • By Boaz
      Had a go at converting a Kulathi to wield a heavier gun ... something to shoot up opposing armor ...
       

       
      the smaller arms did not turn out well ... I going to try clipping at the elbow for the next one.

       
      Looks food from above, going to have to work n the underside ...
    • By Boaz
      Started building a Kulathi battle force and colony outpost for their Kuden-3 outpost, in the Beehive star cluster, in the crab nebula ... 
       
      Having 3 fingers a hand and 6 limbs the number system fore the Kulathi is based on 6 ... with 2,3 and 4 also prominent, so I based there units on 6 ...
       
      An officer (2 pistols = smg) 3 left hand smg and 2 right hand automatic rifles make a strike team ... no other unit types teams can exceed the number of strike teams.
       
       The fire team has 1 officer 1 smg and 4 auto rifles ... a longer ranged bite.
       
      I'm also adding a few hound of Tindalos units (4 with 1 smg and 1 officer kulathi) with bigger things in the works ...
       


       
    • By Boaz
      It's hard to have a desert planet without a sand worm ... but after buying a load of Kulathi and hounds of Tindalos my stash of doubloons are stretched thin so I turned to GM Scotty and his youtube channel "theDMsCraft" (two tentacles up) for a cost effective option ... after viewing his techniques in video #74 DIY purple worm cheap and easy and his video #129 how to make the watcher in the water from LotR ... I'm ready to start crafting ...
       
       Started with a basic TP tube frame and a lil hot glue ... followed with a paper towel and white glue wrap, not all at once as I did not want it to melt into mush, I covered no more than half, spread out, and let dry (the hard part) before applying the next layer , with a few hot glue bridges to help round things out ...
       
       At the same time I started twisting up the tentacles,  then reinforced them with hot glue, as well as shaping and reinforcing the teeth ... glued body to a base to match my Kuden terrain set (could have used cardboard as I made sure it was balanced naturally) then hot glued on teeth cut tenticals to mount at nice angles and ready for next step ...




  • Who's Online   17 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)

×