Zink

Can't see the forest for the trees (photo heavy)

Yup, you've done a very nice job with them, I'd be happy to play a game on a table covered with those.

• Like 2

Those trees look great, I especially like your birches, the trunks look just right.

Anyone here ever try pickling and dying your own lichen for foliage?  A friend and I found huge patches of the good type of tree foliage looking lichen (IIRC one name for it is Norwegian Lichen, though we live in Canada) in the woods near his Dad's house and followed a pickling recipe from an old model railroad scenery book years ago, I remember glycerine being one of the pickling ingredients to keep the foliage from drying out and crumbling, and we used fabric dye for the colours.  We never had much luck getting the pickling to work right, but we sure did have fun trying...  Lot of good scenery projects in those old train hobby books, we made some cool rock molds too with liquid latex and gauze strips.  Smelly and very time consuming, but it worked better than pickling the lichen...

Kang

Edited by Kang
  • Like 5

The flock idea wasn't actually mine but I really like how it turned out. I've looked at dozens of how to make tree videos and some of them advised doing that as a final step. Going ahead any armature trees I make will be lichen and flock and I have some other premade trees that will be getting flocked. You can get a different look with coarser or finer flock. I'm using extra strength hairspray as glue for the flock and it seems to be holding not bad. I hose down the tree, add flock and then hose it down again. Quit doing it lately because I have a cold and the smell of hairspray is annoying at the best of times. Right now it causes uncontrollable sneezing.

@Kang, I haven't tried pickling or dying the lichen but I want to. I know some of my old terrain had lichen chunks on it and they crumbled after a few years. I'm a bit worried that my trees with disintegrate someday but I'm hoping the hairspray will help some. I've seen videos of people using glycerin and food colouring on things. I haven't been able to find any glycerin to play with yet. 

• Like 3

People use vegetable glycerine to make that transparent soap and (along with propylene glycol) e-cigarette liquid, presumably it has other uses as well; I'm sure it can be had online.  Can't recall where we got ours back in the 80's when we tried this...  Might have been from the drug store or something.  If I can find those old instructions I could try to post something here if you like, but no promises - that model RR book is probably either long gone or taken to some faraway place by now.

Clever idea, the hairspray thing I mean.

Kang

• Like 3

If you could find the instructions it might be helpful but don't worry about it if you can't. There's probably somewhere online with advice about it too.

• Like 2

Got some trees from Santa. They were quite a bit smaller than I was expecting but still usable. I decided to make some of them into clumps instead of individual basing. I have 20 trees in each of 3 shades. Like with my other trees I added some flocking to them. I didn't have anything similar in colour to the lightest shade so they got a light dusting of yellows and reds of homemade flock. The wife likes them the best because it looks like they have fruit.

trees.jpg

IMG_5797.jpg

IMG_5796.jpg

• Like 11