1 hour ago, Zink said:

I like the spreadsheet idea for tracking. Trouble with me is it would kill a couple of weeks of hobby time just to input the data!

I got "lucky" in that I'm anal and set up the spreadsheet shortly after I started buying minis (well.. this time around - I bought 3 reaper minis in 2001 to play 2nd Ed with and never got around to painting them as the paint cost seemed prohibitive related to the 3 I had) last year..

Obviously, I had not considered that I might want more than just the 3 we needed for that game.. lol..

Fast forward to November of last year and the local game shop changing ownership.  The old owner was clearing inventory prior to the re-opening and had everything in the store 25% off, with metal minis 50% off ... by the end of November, I had a dozen paints, 4 brushes and several dozen unpainted minis... 

and a spreadsheet... because I'm just that way.. lol

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I can relate...sort of. You really don't have that many things in motion. It's more that there are groups that don't belong together. If you have one or two things that you love & can stick with them, the multiple projects become one or two with lots of interesting facets.When I principally painted for Folks other than myself I always had multiple projects going at once. Keeping several balls in the air requires an inordinate amount of self discipline. Being able to function without engaging your brain helps. Having multiple personalities would have helped; at the least, it would have given me someone to talk to.

Now I have one project going: The Last Hurrah Project...easy eh?. I've been working steadily at it since I moved to Texas nearly eight years ago. The Beasty will keep me occupied for as long as I am still moving.  It is a single entity that involves hundreds, possibly a couple thousand miniatures, terrain, & accessories that all somehow work together. Some things are store bought; some are home grown; some are a combination thereof. Thus far I have a 260 page thread documenting it here. Initially my stuff was aimed at possible games. Now it is a story telling engine. All that is a rambling way of saying, if you are enjoying what you are doing, you have the right amount of projects going.

I don't have a shelf of shame...guilt is not a motivating emotion; it sucks the joy out of life; I have a Vault of Pack Rattiness. It is a wondrous place to explore. I do that whenever I try to find anything. Discovering things I had forgotten I had is like opening presents on Christmas morning when you are five or six. 

• Like 11

Regarding spreadsheets; I think they can be a useful motivational tool.

Painting Summary Table.pdf

I've kept track of my painting for some time, by size and whether foot/mounted/vehicle.  It looks like I'm able to attach it as a file... The mid-oughts were not good years.

I've reached in to edit in another file; my actual project list.  I've been editing and updating this file since 1996, I see:

Wargames Projects .pdf

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 3

I have a BUNCH of projects at any given time. I have a few armies I am working on for Warmachine/Hordes.  I am also working on other armies for Kings of War (Chaos "Abyssal" dwarves, Elves, Demons, Forces of Nature, and Goblins).  I also paint figures for my Pathfinder games and I am a novice terrain maker.  @malefactus is the inspiration for some of this.  And some of his conversions have inspired my Pathfinder campaign and inspired me to try something different. 

I have somewhere around 30-40 projects going right now.  Some upwards of 3 years old right now.

• Like 5

The more time goes on I'm thinking like @malefactus. I have one large project encompassing many aspects, 28mm fantasy gaming with historical additions. But that's just because I've been ignoring 28mm scifi gaming and 6mm scifi and historical for a long time. My wallet complained enough about only one this year. Next year should be cheaper because I'm better prepared now.

• Like 3

Like @malefactus said.

I was inspired by his thread, to start one myself.

And so I started the Lost World Project.

Consisting of all things Jungle/ Reptile/ Dinosaur in a setting loosely based on ancient Meso-American cultures.

Added Conquistadores and Pirates to the mix.

Then got carried away and it now also has Demons, Mutants and Undead in there...

Do I have a shelf of shame? No...

Do I have boxes and boxes full of suitable minis? Yes.

• Like 4

I've been working on a Sci-fi system this past year. My goal is too keep it enough like 5e that my group will actually try it. I know I could just play Starfinder but I'm the only one willing to buy the book and one book shared between seven people never goes well.

That's actually the only reason I have the Cadians, for this system I'm developing; well that and I got a box of them for eight bucks. When I saw the Chronoscope expansion on the kickstarter I thought, "If I buy this I better find a use for these minis". So that's the only reason I even own any non fantasy miniature's, so when I'm ready to present my system I'll have all the figures I need.

• Like 3

I had a little free time today so I worked on my little backlog. I was able to get quite a bit done in a couple hours. I based my innkeeper, started the detail work on my skull shields, did a IMEF green basecoat on my Cadian Troopers, and did a khaki basewash on the lower pieces of their uniform. 

This was also my first time painting with a wet pallete. That'll take some getting used too. The results I was able to get on the green armor was well worth it though. So hopefully I'll learn to use the pallete with time to get even better results, but I have to admit I am thrilled with how everything went. The green went on well and didn't dry out as I was painting and the end result looks great.

I'll post a side by side comparison between. The first Trooper I did to test out color scheme and one of the ones from today. The test figure was done using a blend of Reaper's Viper Green and HD Pale Saffron (yellow) which created a decent pea soup green, it was painted using a light drybrush.

20171222_143811.jpg

20171222_140702.jpg

20171222_140654.jpg

20171222_140643.jpg

20171222_140607.jpg

• Like 10

On 12/21/2017 at 9:55 AM, Chaoswolf said:

Yup, as you can see, you're in very good company, so no worries.:winkthumbs:

As for myself, I have just decided it's easier to stop counting the unfinished projects.:lol:

This ^^

When you spend more time categorizing, organizing and sorting your collection - time to give up and just paint :D

• Like 4

On 12/21/2017 at 9:44 PM, Darkmeer said:

I have a BUNCH of projects at any given time. I have a few armies I am working on for Warmachine/Hordes.  I am also working on other armies for Kings of War (Chaos "Abyssal" dwarves, Elves, Demons, Forces of Nature, and Goblins).  I also paint figures for my Pathfinder games and I am a novice terrain maker.  @malefactus is the inspiration for some of this.  And some of his conversions have inspired my Pathfinder campaign and inspired me to try something different. 

I have somewhere around 30-40 projects going right now.  Some upwards of 3 years old right now.

I don't know which of your projects is pushing 3 years, but something else I learned this year is that if any miniature is more than 2 years waiting to be finished then it's as good for me to just send it to the stripper.  There is actually a good reason for this: my painting style changed.  By the time I get back to something I let sit that long, my method has changed so much (mostly because I learned new things) that I pretty much have to redo all of the work I already did.  

This actually happened with Lunkh Bullhoof, who had a 4-month gap between being 90% done and finally finished off.  So much had changed that I had to start over from the basecoat up.  He's a bit of an anomaly because he had so much going on (he's got an unusual amount of different bits) but at this point anything that's waited more than a year I can write off as pretty much being reset to "from scratch".  

The Shelf of Shame, its name aside, is not something to be ashamed of.  It happens.  The thing to watch out for is that you don't wind up stuck jumping from project to project and being in limbo where you do a lot of work for very little result.  It's different for everyone, of course, since working methods vary from person to person, but I found being stuck a motivation-eater (also a bit of a soul-eater).  It certainly feels a lot better to be making visible progress!

Also... remember that you can cheat.  Outside of miniatures you put extra effort into so as to enter into contests or impress your painting peers, past 100 minis in your display almost nobody who comes by is ever going to know the difference between "pretty good" and "excellent".  There's just too many to look at.  You can use this to your advantage by slipping some of your "lesser" minis - the ones you have and like but don't care about THAT much - into your schedule.  It'll help keep your output up and make the special ones you spend time on feel less of a drag.  None of the normies will ever know the difference, because to them all painting work is equally difficult.  The old "those are so tiny and I'd never have your kind of patience" thing.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I don't know which of your projects is pushing 3 years, but something else I learned this year is that if any miniature is more than 2 years waiting to be finished then it's as good for me to just send it to the stripper.  There is actually a good reason for this: my painting style changed.  By the time I get back to something I let sit that long, my method has changed so much (mostly because I learned new things) that I pretty much have to redo all of the work I already did.  

This actually happened with Lunkh Bullhoof, who had a 4-month gap between being 90% done and finally finished off.  So much had changed that I had to start over from the basecoat up.  He's a bit of an anomaly because he had so much going on (he's got an unusual amount of different bits) but at this point anything that's waited more than a year I can write off as pretty much being reset to "from scratch".  

The Shelf of Shame, its name aside, is not something to be ashamed of.  It happens.  The thing to watch out for is that you don't wind up stuck jumping from project to project and being in limbo where you do a lot of work for very little result.  It's different for everyone, of course, since working methods vary from person to person, but I found being stuck a motivation-eater (also a bit of a soul-eater).  It certainly feels a lot better to be making visible progress!

Also... remember that you can cheat.  Outside of miniatures you put extra effort into so as to enter into contests or impress your painting peers, past 100 minis in your display almost nobody who comes by is ever going to know the difference between "pretty good" and "excellent".  There's just too many to look at.  You can use this to your advantage by slipping some of your "lesser" minis - the ones you have and like but don't care about THAT much - into your schedule.  It'll help keep your output up and make the special ones you spend time on feel less of a drag.  None of the normies will ever know the difference, because to them all painting work is equally difficult.  The old "those are so tiny and I'd never have your kind of patience" thing.  

This is great advice, Buglips.  Sadly, the largest miniatures are what I froze on, and they are resin (so no stripper for them).  Good news is that they are simply primed.  Just... waiting.  I like having a variety of things to do, because some days I want to paint heroes, some days I want to paint wildlife, and other days I want to paint the heck out of demons and devils and everything evil.  Oh, and smashy steampunk robots, gotta have them, too :D

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Darkmeer said:

This is great advice, Buglips.  Sadly, the largest miniatures are what I froze on, and they are resin (so no stripper for them).  Good news is that they are simply primed.  Just... waiting.  I like having a variety of things to do, because some days I want to paint heroes, some days I want to paint wildlife, and other days I want to paint the heck out of demons and devils and everything evil.  Oh, and smashy steampunk robots, gotta have them, too :D

Primed is good!  Store it someplace where it has some cover to keep it from attracting dust or other contaminants, or put something over it and it'll stay ready for use.  

Big miniatures are hell.  They take a while, you have to do a lot of fiddly stuff, sometimes you have to plan assembly and painting in stages because you have to put some of it together but not all of it.  And then there's the risk of screwing something up.  And on top of that they're hard to mount on something and paint rubs off.  

Again, I go back to the Feathered Serpent - which is a beastly thing to work on.  I'm taking pictures as I go to update the WIP when done, but I suspended updates so I can focus on doing the job.  Some of it is because it's challenging on its own, some of it is because it's my 4th big project this year (not including Maal Drakkar) and I think the toll is finally showing.  But it's creeping to done, and it will get there.  And then I shall savour the sweet taste of freedom.  

• Like 6

I finished a kobold I added a shield to and painted the bases of another kobold and my bartender PC. So those three are finally leaving my painting box.

I also base coated the Cadian Trooper's tunics. I started out painting all of them in an assembly line bit nine figures at once was too much. So I'm going to focus on painting five to completion before moving on.

I finished by painting the metallic details on my first five.

I'm hoping the first five will be finished after my next painting session but we'll see what happens.

20171227_122155.jpg

20171227_122113.jpg

• Like 10

Ended up I didn't finish five Cadians but I did finish four of them. These certainly aren't display pieces but I think they're good enough for the table. I still need to finish the bases but I'm going to wait until they're all finished to do that.

I really don't have a good idea for the bases and I'm hoping inspiration hits before I've finished them. Usually I'd just paint the base black and leave it at that, these being my first GW figures though I'd like to do something a little nicer.

Unless I come across another great deal these are probably going to be my only 40K figures but if I do get any more I'm definitely going to prime and paint the pieces prior to assembly. 

20171228_155846.jpg

20171228_155754.jpg

• Like 9