You've got some pretty good luck on pricing to say the least! 

Also, welcome to the club of "I measure how big my backlog is in squad boxes, because it doesn't feel as big" club ^_^

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Amateur, I measure my backlog in armies! :lol: You got a great deal on those and hard to pass up at that price.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

"I measure how big my backlog is in squad boxes, because it doesn't feel as big" club ^_^

That is exactly how it is now. Three new GW boxes on top of the one I already had, plus the half finished Cadiens, and the small box of Reaper. 

So now I have seventy-two on backlog, without counting what's in my painting box or the miniatures my wife has. Now I just need to actually work on things.

2 hours ago, Rat13 said:

That is exactly how it is now. Three new GW boxes on top of the one I already had, plus the half finished Cadiens, and the small box of Reaper. 

So now I have seventy-two on backlog, without counting what's in my painting box or the miniatures my wife has. Now I just need to actually work on things.

MMWHWWHHHAAAUUUHHHAAAAA  only 72???

***cough***

*** Looks at garage filled with minis***

Only 72..sigh...what did I do wrong?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

When I was in Austin I had a wall set aside to thumbtack blisters to and every time I looked at it it didn't seem like much. Until I had to find a way to pack it up and move it! I've painted I think roughly 200 since oct 2015, and recent backlog is about 2-500 now that I have access to what I collected from 1993-2007. The number climbs higher if I include the stuff I painted years ago that I'm wishing to repaint.

But your first 50-150 unpainted minis is kind of a numeric "danger zone", because it's very easy to tell yourself "It's not that many, I can get them done by (insert time)" 

So the choice to be made is do you   a: firmly maintain self control and buy nothing new until everything is painted (which shows an iron will but jeopordizes one's immortality)

b: keep collecting if you see a good deal on something and accept the fact that the ratio of painted to unpainted will further expand.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Zink said:

Amateur, I measure my backlog in armies! :lol: You got a great deal on those and hard to pass up at that price.

Oh, by that logic I only have three armies to paint. :p  Makes it a lot easier to swallow than 200+ Skaven (25th anniversary army box + 2 boxes of Night Runners + 1-2 more boxes of clan rats + Isle of Blood figures), 120+ Catachans (battleforce + two? packs of guys + a dozen heavy weapons teams), and something like 50 Tau Pathfinders + 21 crisis/stealth suits + 2 Devilfish and 3 heavy tanks) 

And that's not including the dragon and a dozen bones figures I have either on the way or already here from Reaper ^_^;;;

Edit: or all those space marines I've collected throughout the years from various starter packs so I had the condensed rules...  I probably have close to enough for a 2k point army of them! (end edit). 

3 hours ago, Rat13 said:

You'll chew through it in no time ^_^

Unless you find even more deals of figures that catch your eye, but then it's a case of "whooo, I have hours upon hours of enjoyment to look forward to!" 

I personally enjoy having a backlog, I just need to not let mine get so big ^_^;;;;

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Oh, by that logic I only have three armies to paint. :p  Makes it a lot easier to swallow than 200+ Skaven (25th anniversary army box + 2 boxes of Night Runners + 1-2 more boxes of clan rats + Isle of Blood figures), 120+ Catachans (battleforce + two? packs of guys + a dozen heavy weapons teams), and something like 50 Tau Pathfinders + 21 crisis/stealth suits + 2 Devilfish and 3 heavy tanks) 

And that's not including the dragon and a dozen bones figures I have either on the way or already here from Reaper ^_^;;;

Edit: or all those space marines I've collected throughout the years from various starter packs so I had the condensed rules...  I probably have close to enough for a 2k point army of them! (end edit). 

You'll chew through it in no time ^_^

Unless you find even more deals of figures that catch your eye, but then it's a case of "whooo, I have hours upon hours of enjoyment to look forward to!" 

I personally enjoy having a backlog, I just need to not let mine get so big ^_^;;;;

I have 2 historical armies, romans and medieval russians. The romans are practically finished, the russians 90% assembled and primed and 10% painted. 6 fantasy armies, goblins, high elves, dark elves, Empire, dwarves and tomb kings. The high elves and goblins are close to finished. Empire and dwarves mostly assembled and maybe 20% painted. The dark elves and tomb kings mostly unassembled and maybe 10% painted. Then there's hundreds of minis from the Bones and Dungeon Saga kickstarters on top of that. Almost forgot several Mordheim and Frostgrave warbands in various stages.

It's been many years since I really looked at my 40k collection. Eldar were my main army and they're mostly painted. Cadians about 80% finished. Marines and armoured company mostly assembled but barely painted. Squats and old imperial army barely touched.

Last year I decided to try and get my fantasy/historical armies finished. My theory is to start on the most complete and work my way through them. Hasn't quite worked out that way and I do a bunch of other things at the same time but there has been noticeable progress. What more can you do? One plus is that I actually own almost everything I need/want for all of my armies. That's why I've gone in on more random stuff from Bones lately. :rolleyes: It seems like a lot but minis have been my main entertainment expense for 30 years. Back when we played every week I didn't paint much. Now I might play once a month but I'm getting painting time in.

• Like 5

Got my GW marksmen primed, and started the detail work on three of my remaining Cadiens.

No pictures because there isn't a lot to actually show.

• Like 4

I haven't had a chance to paint since Sunday. Monday got away from me and today I was running around trying to sell off my old video game and systems collection before playing in a homebrew campaign. 

I did pick up a rather interesting book at one of my stops though. It may contain some interesting insights or it may just be something to read about the hobby.

So far it's interesting, though I'm not sure if there's anything inside I haven't heard or read somewhere else.

20180109_215234.jpg

• Like 7

Yeah those were pretty good basic books.  You can find the information on the internet somewhere, but I still like to have a book to hand some days. 

I hate to think how many "projects" I have on hand right now!  I basically have figures bought for armies, figures bought just to paint, and then there's ~500 models planes and tanks from 1/72 - 1/32 scale that are piled up for my retirement.  At this point I don't even know how many figures I have that were bought for armies. If I had to guess I'd say it's north of 500 (which is down a LOT since I got out of GW and Privateer Press games). I know I have 137 figures, ranging from 54mm up 1/4 scale, that I own just to paint.  I also know I have a ton of plastic & resin 54mm or 1/35 scale figures that were picked up for dioramas and to augment models, but I have no idea how many of them I have.  There's a couple of big plastic totes in the garage that are full of them though!  I may have a problem...  ::P::huh:

Edited by Mckenna35
  • Like 3

Got three more Cadiens mostly finished. I still have a little work to do on the white emblems but they are mostly "finished"(I'll still need to seal them and work on the bases). So as far as Cadiens go I only have three more before they're all done. One however was my test model that needs to be completely repainted, getting terrain khaki and IMEF Green made these figures look a lot better.

I also primed my GW Marksmen of Miragliano. They'll need another coat before they're ready for assembly though.

20180110_155121.jpg

• Like 8

No "real" paint progress today, I did end up doing some priming though. I gave my Marksmen a light second coat to get the spots that were missed. I also cut and primed some movement distance sticks for Song of Blades and Heroes.

My goal tomorrow is to finish my three Cadiens, begin assembly of my Marksmen, and paint my distance sticks. 

• Like 2

Today I finished my three Cadiens, painted my distance sticks for Song of Blades and Heroes, but didn't get around to assembling my Marksmen.

I'm really happy with how my Cadiens have turned out so far. Just three more and I'll be finished. 

On my distance sticks I used my cheap craft paints from when I got started in this hobby. The long sticks came out fine but the medium and short sticks didn't. I may go over them again at some point but for now they're passable, not pretty but good enough.

20180112_134338.jpg

20180112_134244.jpg

• Like 5

Last night I finished the GW paint book. Not much inside I hadn't already seen or read somewhere else. The step by step section was really interesting. Each figure was done by a different painter using a different technique, so I'll probably look at that section from time to time.

Today I did some assembly and repair work. My wife had a figure who's head came off so I glued it back in place while I was basing my Marksmen.

20180113_151454.jpg

• Like 6

So I've had to put my painting on the back burner the last few days. Last Sunday and Monday I was teaching Song of Blades and Heroes to a friend. Oddly enough this actually lead to the acquisition of some terrain pieces. Tuesday I played my final session in a bad campaign that had just recently started. Then I had to prep for tomorrow's AL game I'm DMing. So no time to paint until today.

Today I was able to finish most of the detail work on the "final" two Cadiens. The test Cadien will have to be stripped before I can paint it, so he'll remain in my paint box for awhile.

Next session I'd like to finish the two Cadiens and begin painting my Marksmen. I'm currently sitting on five boxes of GW miniatures and it's time to start whittling that number down.

I'm also posting pictures of my new terrain. The Egyptian set and the building only cost me twenty dollars. I figured, even if I don't use them (even though I've already used the Egyptian pieces during a Song of Blades and Heroes game) I could probably sell it all and make a small profit. That building is beautiful even if I never find a use for it.

20180119_200631.jpg

20180119_200609.jpg

20180116_092131.jpg

20180116_091928.jpg

• Like 7