One thing that disappointed me.  They mention 9 races...but don't explain anything about them.  Just elves, humans and orcs with a vague mention of dwarves, and a couple of centaur cops.

• Like 2

Which is why I want to see a series or another movie. A series would probably be the better way to go. Do it up HBO style with 10 episodes that are an hour to an hour and a half long. Give it a single story to tell using multiple characters, but make sure that there's a definite end to it rather than just a meandering through the story where they keep adding new characters and potential plot threads just in case they want to go for 20 seasons.

• Like 4

I enjoyed it and want to see more. Not sure if I'd like a tv series, as those tend to get stupid or repetitive after a season.  I think they can do a lot with the world and some of the characters that were only peripheral.  Another movie or a mini series would be cool. 

And I wanna play Shadowrun sooo bad...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

And I wanna play Shadowrun sooo bad...

I never had any interest in Shadowrun until Bright.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good.

The "professional" critics seem to be far out of touch with the fans, as everyone I know that has seen the movie has, at worst, liked it. While my sample group may be biased, in that it is comprised largely of people with backgrounds in the sci-fi and/or fantasy fandoms, I'm betting that my more redneck coworker would also like the movie because at it's worst it's a decent action flick. But then again, this wouldn't be the first time that the people who get paid to watch movies have crapped on a movie that normal people like, or had an orgasm about a movie that normal people thought was stupid.

I think the biggest thing, and this has been prevalent in just about every major review I've read, is that the professional critics are trying to put a political message to the movie and when it falls short of what they think that political message is, they call it a bad movie. Yes, there's reflections of reality in the movie. But I don't think that the movie was made specifically to call attention to those reflections of reality. I think it just used those reflections as setpieces, the same way that just about every piece of fiction does. George R. R. Martin has said that he drew a lot of inspiration for Game of Thrones from the War or the Roses, but you don't see the critics blasting him because he falls short of really telling people what the War of the Roses really entailed. Because it's fiction. And all fiction needs to draw upon reality in some way to make it more believable. But beyond that, it's purpose is just to entertain.

• Like 4

On 12/22/2017 at 10:14 PM, Marvin said:

Haven't watched it yet. Kind of enjoying the backlash against the critics that panned it so hard tho. A lot of folks seem really to like it.

What sort of backlash? I’ve seen plenty of movies that got meh reviews but turned out to be popular with the crowds, but I don’t recall much in the way of what I would call “backlash” at the critics. More like amusement, or more often, irrelevance.

I haven't seen it, but noticed it seemed to be getting a LOT of hate from the critics.

There was one review which called it “the worst movie of 2017, and that includes The Emoji Movie.”

I kinda liked it. Like others have said, it has an Alien Nation vibe going for it. The plot isn’t anything super original, sure, but it doesn’t need or try to be. A sequel (or series) would really help flesh out the world-building though.

Now I want Alien Nation to make a comeback :unsure:

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Sophie was taken said:

There was one review which called it “the worst movie of 2017, and that includes The Emoji Movie.”

That seems harsh. :rock:

I kinda liked it. Like others have said, it has an Alien Nation vibe going for it. The plot isn’t anything super original, sure, but it doesn’t need or try to be. A sequel (or series) would really help flesh out the world-building though.

Many a perfectly acceptable series has started from such.

Now I want Alien Nation to make a comeback :unsure:

Its mood of sweet optimism about American open-hearted embrace of the very different and foreign would certainly be welcome. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

One thing that disappointed me.  They mention 9 races...but don't explain anything about them.  Just elves, humans and orcs with a vague mention of dwarves, and a couple of centaur cops.

There was also the sign at the beginning that had some sort of upright lizard--I don't know if they're part of the numbered "races" or if they're more like the faeries.

10 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

I enjoyed it. Fanged elves! Awesome

I wasn't sure I spotted that the first time, but it sure was!  I didn't notice if that was particular to that elf, or if was present in all of them.

I've got to admit that I liked it.  It wasn't anything Earth-shattering, but it was enjoyable and they did plenty of work laying out the background for further development.  I was a little surprised at how deep the work on orcish culture went.  I expected a glossing-over, but there were some nice bits there.

I may see it - but I have found that I tend to agree with critics more often than with audiences. (I am more of a Siskel than an Ebert....)

But I also have to leave room for what I call 'dumb fun' - a bad movie that I enjoy the heck out of.

The Auld Grump - Van Helsing was a terrible movie - that I really, really enjoyed.