Rat13

New DM is throwing up too many red flags!

Ooof. The boring campaign.

That's a bummer.

Curious to see how that 2nd session'll go... But I'm less hopeful it'll be an entertaining recap. :/

• Like 3

Your wife is nicer than me. I'd use the excuse of being forced to shop for fancy clothes to start a fight and get myself killed. 

I'm sorry you got a boring game. That's not a very fun train wreck to watch -_-

• Like 6

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

That's not a very fun train wreck to watch -_-

Yeah, I'd say this session didn't go well. If it was going to go badly the least it could have done was make sure the explosion was entertaining. I can't believe I waited weeks for that.

As it stands playing was boring and even the realization that this group is doomed holds no real promise. We'll all probably just slink silently away from this game one by one. So even our eventual disbanding will be anticlimactic. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

So, how exactly did this game come together if nobody knew the DM?

That's where I'm a little unclear. I thought this was a group my wife played with a while back just with a new DM. Apparently she didn't play with any of them.

When she first got into the game she was looking for a group that was doing a campaign instead of AL. She found a group that was forming but they played on the same day I play AL so she decided she'd rather play with me and my group; I must be doing something right.

This is how she "knew" the DM. So my initial post got that wrong, she talked with this guy through messanger once while he was forming a group. Everyone else found this game through Craigslist and some "game finder" app.

My wife got a random message from the DM  a few weeks ago saying he was forming a new group and was wondering if she was interested.

So that's how this all started, just chalk it up to a husband that didn't know the full story. In my defense though she did attend a different AL game for a while, so some of my confusion is justified. Or is it? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

So, how exactly did this game come together if nobody knew the DM?

They all met in the tavern of course! ::D:

*EDIT* Because. ::P:

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

First sessions with a new group can be awkward and slow as everyone tries to find their footing  Hope things ramp up the 2nd time out, but I fear, as you do, that the others will drift away if this keeps up. 

• Like 2

I am the wife. That was an effing train wreck. I was so bored. Myself and 2 other players were on Facebook almost the whole time sharing inappropriate memes for some fun.

I also would like to add that this dm brought in my unborn child into the convo somehow when we were talking back and forth and not in a good way - way to make a mama bear angry from the getgo. 

Heres my story for the night:

I was the first person there. I did not have my gun - which I totally forgot in the morning- and was waiting on my husband to show up. The host comes out and knocks on my window and asks if I am Stacey. I say yes and he said please don’t sit in your car- come in. I felt trapped and didn’t wanna be rude, so I went in. I am texting Rat and basically saying I’m wife language “where are you?” “Help” and he finally shows up. I was the first to sit - and I am 5 months pregnant, so I chose the seat closest to the exit and bathroom for a quick escape. I already had a plan to tell them that the baby was making me sick to my stomach and that I needed to go home. The house wasn’t terrible, but I could tell that I personally would’ve liked it to be cleaned more - so I opted to NOT try the bathroom and held it in until I got home. Thankfully my husband told me afterwards that it was the best decision I made- apparently there was poop caked onto the underneath of the seat.

We all start chatting and we realize that no one has ever played with this guy or even knew him or how he found all of us. I mentioned that I joined meet ups for a local d and d group when I moved to the area- and I politely declined his original game due to conflict in scheduling. I had a weird feeling then- but I decided he was just trying to find out if I was really interested or not. He was kinda pushy in emails to say the least. I told him if he had anything in the future to let me know- which led to this mess. 

I originally wanted to play a half orc Barbarian and he told me he didn’t want me to be a half orc and forced my hand - he actually asked me to be a centaur. Dude. No. So I settled - with reluctance- on a Goliath. 

The uncommons vs rares blew my mind and I knew right then and there that this dm was an idiot. But like Rat said - I wanted to see how bad it really was going to be. 

I would like to add that the game was supposed to start at 6- the dm was the last to show up and he was late- 6:05. He sat at the only available seat and we shifted the table to give him more room for him to say that he needed an electric outlet for his computer. 

Meanwhile, I wanted to sit by rat so that I had someone that I knew and didn’t feel trapped. The dm has me switch seats- eff you dude. 

He then proceeded to hand out maps and such and give a long elaborate story - but I felt it was unnecessary and wasn’t paying attention. He then dove into each of us role playing a bit to drop us into the game. There was a gay couple there that did agree to know each other and he spent about 1/3 of the session doing their stories. To say the least I was annoyed. 

He got to me and was like it’s 2 days before the feast- what do you want to do? I was like go to the bar and listen to others around me to see if I hear anything interesting. Then he asked about the clothes I was wearing for the feast- and I said I was wearing furs on my  chest and crotch and that was it. I love being a smart broccoli when he was a dick the whole time I was character building. He then said did you get your clothes already? And I answered it was already done. He was like no it’s not. You’re going to the clothing shop. Then something about a contact coming to the shop. I has quick snippy answers when a dude starts calling me over to him- no I am not coming- you come to me. Let’s just say I told him to go away and he handed me a note with a name on it. 

When we finally get to the feast that’s when it ended. 

I mesaged other players to see to see if they were going back or not- and I think we were all thinking the same thing- we don’t know each other so I will be polite and say I will try another session. Needless to say I am not going back to session 2- Rat will tell me how it went and then I will message the dm and say these are the reasons I am no longer coming back. 

#RantOver #DontPissOffThePreggo 

• Like 3
  • Sad 10

I can't say I have ever seen a game where anyone was forced to go clothes shopping...

• Like 5

I'm sorry that was so terrible. It sounds really uncomfortable for you. I would've hated being moved away from hubby too. 

I hope once this fiasco is over you guys can find a better game to be part of!

• Like 3

After hearing about this game, it's given me the impressions that this isn't a roleplaying game at all, you've all gathered just to hear the DM's story so you can hear how brilliant he is. It's something I've had experience with, and the fact that he's railroading you all means that the game is just a front for a story that he's written and any input on the players' part will be completely ignored. I'm sorry to hear that you've drawn the short straw and gotten someone who calls himself a DM and yet doesn't even follow the fundamentals of it. As much as we all like watching a train wreck, hopefully this will resolve quickly and you'll be able to find someone who takes the role seriously.

• Like 6

I think you've all been unkind to him and should apologise as soon as possible, and also give him a little gift to show that you appreciate all his hard work...  

A Train Engineer's hat, maybe...

train_hat.jpg.27089e54aaf9e8341979d33ab021b947.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

But women love clothes shopping! Why does noone appreciate him trying to be inclusive?

A centaur barbarian stomping through boutiques does sound mildly interesting though. Bonus points if she ends up wearing two corsets and a frilly saddle blanket.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Gadgetman! said:

I think you've all been unkind to him and should apologise as soon as possible, and also give him a little gift to show that you appreciate all his hard work...  

A Train Engineer's hat, maybe...

train_hat.jpg.27089e54aaf9e8341979d33ab021b947.jpg

A Child Sized engineers hat.

GEM

1 hour ago, Nunae said:

But women love clothes shopping! Why does noone appreciate him trying to be inclusive?

A centaur barbarian stomping through boutiques does sound mildly interesting though. Bonus points if she ends up wearing two corsets and a frilly saddle blanket.

I can see the entertainment value in turning it into a "Bull in the China Shop" type of scenario.

GEM

• Like 4