Rat13

New DM is throwing up too many red flags!

I'm glad my wife declined the "offer" to play a centaur. This guy is having enough problems with just the standard rules/game without throwing homebrew races into the mix.

• Like 6

At least it wasn't a Chakat...

(Felinoid taurs quite popular by some of the furry community. Not only are they often depicted as Hermaphroditic, but they're  sometimes also drawn with double up... both human and 'horsey' position of the important bits. )

• Like 3

I see a marvelous opportunity.

Guy just got stabbed in the middle of a feast? "THERE HE IS!"

**charge at Player #4 and start fighting**

Go for a TPK. See how quickly you can do it. Of course, have this all agreed to with other players beforehand. See how the DM responds.

A proper response would be a swift intervention via town or palace guard. Arrest the involved parties and start sorting it out.

I think what would happen under this guy would be a complete slaughter of everyone at the feast.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

Go for a TPK. See how quickly you can do it. Of course, have this all agreed to with other players beforehand. See how the DM responds.

That's a great idea, if the players all arrive before the DM next week I may just suggest that. I'm definitely going to try and die next session with any luck in the very first fight.

I only agreed to do this because my wife was doing it and it'd be nice to play in a campaign together. You heard it straight from her though, she's not going back so even without the DM problems I'm out.

• Like 5

Can I say I'm a bit surprised you all agree to meet at someone's place where nobody knows the guy?

And your pregnant wife is the first one to show up?

With so many dangerous and weird people out there I would advice some caution.

Maybe I'm overly protective, but I hear some bells ringing..

Not attacking anyone...just being concerned!

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 9

In this situation I would be sure to have someone I know with me when I walked into the game. But I am lucky to have a large-ish group to game with. Several of us have known each other for 25+ years and several are GMs as well as players.

Good luck finding a good game.

• Like 4

When I was GMing a large group, one thing I instigated at the end of each session was going around the table and asking each player for one good thing they liked about that night's session, and one bad thing.

This often led to very civil discussions on how I could make improvements and what each player was expecting from the game. One thing I discovered from these discussions was that if I was not prepared and decided to "wing it," then the players did not enjoy the session as well. I did not perform as well. As long as I had a semblance of prepared notes, I did okay. It made me a better GM and I was able to tailor the game to fit what the players wanted.

Sounds like this guy could use a dose of feedback. He might not be receptive to it, but without it he will not improve.

• Like 7

i wonder if he has ever PLAYED a game, or if all his experience is from fantasy books set in the D&D, Dragonlance or similar universe, and supposedly based on 'epic games'...

It would explain the overly complicated meetup he's scripted, at least. 

A lot of the books avoid the cliche inn meeting and mysterious stranger, but they can do that because they're either sequels about a well-established band, or they wrote in a 'better' meeting afterwards. 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Stacemeisterbee said:

He got to me and was like it’s 2 days before the feast- what do you want to do? I was like go to the bar and listen to others around me to see if I hear anything interesting. Then he asked about the clothes I was wearing for the feast- and I said I was wearing furs on my  chest and crotch and that was it. I love being a smart broccoli when he was a dick the whole time I was character building. He then said did you get your clothes already? And I answered it was already done. He was like no it’s not. You’re going to the clothing shop. Then something about a contact coming to the shop. I has quick snippy answers when a dude starts calling me over to him- no I am not coming- you come to me. Let’s just say I told him to go away and he handed me a note with a name on it. 

I am sorry that you had to put up with this. But I do so love a good Bad-DM/Trainwreck Game story, so thank you for sharing.

I noted the part above because it reminds me of that old blog from a number of years back, I think it was titled, "The Worst DM in the World," or similar. It has since been taken down, but I luckily made a PDF of it before it was gone (sorry, at work right now and it is on my personal laptop so can't post it up anywhere).

Anyway, in it, the writer relates a story from her college days, when she and her friend answered a players-wanted ad found at a local game store, and were met by a situation both frightening in RL, as well as game-wise. Some of the highlights, if I recall well enough, were:

The DM told them (and another player) to come at a certain time on a certain day, then claimed they were a "day early" when they showed up.

The DM shook wet, uncooked hot dogs at them before stuffing them into his mouth.

The DM had reams of (already by then obsolete) dot-matrix-printed house rules, many of which were centered around rolling for breast size and other certain unmentionable attributes, which he forced them to do.

He had a true DMPC, who hogged the spotlight in every situation and could pull off ridiculous, amazing, broken-rules feats, like hitting barrels with a hammer so that they exploded.

I know I'm forgetting most of the best stuff, but you get the point.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Bruunwald said:

but I luckily made a PDF of it before it was gone (sorry, at work right now and it is on my personal laptop so can't post it up anywhere).

I would be very interested in reading this if you could post it later.

I didn't see an online post by the DM until after the game. Apparently as the chosen of the Empire we receive 100gp each month. I couldn't resist such low hanging fruit. 

If we receive this each month we don't have to actually work, we don't need to adventure, and we can live safely and comfortably almost anywhere we want.

To become chosen we either did a great service for the emperor or the empire. So we could retire and when they try to cut off our stipend we could appeal to the masses that the emperor doesn't appreciate heroes. We could cause such a fuss they wouldn't dare stop paying.

This idea which I had a ton of fun coming up with was not well received by the DM. Which honestly gave me more enjoyment than the whole session did.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Aryanun said:

I see a marvelous opportunity.

Guy just got stabbed in the middle of a feast? "THERE HE IS!"

**charge at Player #4 and start fighting**

A proper response would be a swift intervention via town or palace guard. Arrest the involved parties and start sorting it out.

I think what would happen under this guy would be a complete slaughter of everyone at the feast.

I get the feeling that the DM's story would go on even without the players' interaction........or presence. :unsure:

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I can't say I have ever seen a game where anyone was forced to go clothes shopping...

I had a character that needed a spell called Emergency Clothes!

Shapechanger, full moon, you get the picture! ::P:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I think there was a spell or magic item back in one of the third-party 3.5 splatbooks that provided you with an illusory set of expensive party clothes.

I could have used something like that Emergency Clothes spell in the 3.5 game I was briefly in where one of the players was a lady who was a hardcore Furry and obsessed hentai fan - she insisted that every time her shifter barbarian (read: Lesbian Stripper Ninja Catgirl) used her shifting ability her clothes exploded. :rolleyes:  (This persisted even after the DM made her start paying for new clothes.)

One of the quests we did involved freeing someone from a cursed hat of disguise whose only ability was to give you the appearance of the thing you hated most. Since we had pretty much on-call access to the spells needed to pry it loose from it's victims we'd occasionally use it despite the curse, and it became a running gag in the group to slap it on a party member's head when they weren't looking. Needless to say, whenever the party decided that the catgirl started getting out of hand, she'd end up spending some time as a wrinkly, grey-haired dwarf....

(edit: more specifically, an exact copy of the wrinkly, grey-haired dwarf that was the party's artificer, who she had a major beef with, lol.)

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 8
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, Rat13 said:

I would be very interested in reading this if you could post it later.

I didn't see an online post by the DM until after the game. Apparently as the chosen of the Empire we receive 100gp each month. I couldn't resist such low hanging fruit. 

If we receive this each month we don't have to actually work, we don't need to adventure, and we can live safely and comfortably almost anywhere we want.

To become chosen we either did a great service for the emperor or the empire. So we could retire and when they try to cut off our stipend we could appeal to the masses that the emperor doesn't appreciate heroes. We could cause such a fuss they wouldn't dare stop paying.

This idea which I had a ton of fun coming up with was not well received by the DM. Which honestly gave me more enjoyment than the whole session did.

Here you go.

I blame my old computer for me thinking this had been taken down. As it aged, it sometimes would not load certain sites/blogs, etc., but would throw up scurrilous rumors of this site no longer being available, that one taken down, etc.

Anyway, enjoy!

• Like 1