Rat13

New DM is throwing up too many red flags!

Just now, Dr.Bedlam said:

Makes me think about a guy I knew, back in the day, who was wild about the Thieves World books... and then went out and bought the old Thieves World boxed set. And he decided that the Rebellion would overthrow the Rankan Empire, with Prince Kadakithis leading the rebels, and the whole thing would start in Sanctuary, supported by the main characters of the books, who would in turn be supported by the PCs.

It did not end well. Entire sessions consisted of little more than exposition. At least he understood why the players lost interest, though...

See, that's the problem that I had with a guy that was a huge Forgotten Realms fan.  He had read all of the books, so when he ran a game, he had us meeting all of these iconic characters.  Me, not having much of a clue about all of the back story, would go, "hmm, this guy is being an elf-hole and disrespecting me" and then as I'm going to react in character get told it's some uber ninja-archer ranger dude and that I would get shellacked.

• Like 1

I've decided to go and see how it is. I've also decided to show up with my fifty year old human bartender barbarian. If they have a problem with it I'll also have a backup kobold ranger. From what I'm hearing sunlight sensitivity is going to be a big problem.

This campaign sounds like it's going to be pretty outdoorsy. Kind of a dick move but I'm not too happy about being steamrolled on every decision. 

• Like 2

Well, that's kind of the point of being a DM in the first place. Never forget that the other people at the table have their own stories to tell; just give them the materials, the opportunities, and don't be afraid to mess with them a little.

Fewer stories are told at my table of the time they met Elminster than of the time they were at that one inn where a gingerbread man screamed when the ranger picked one up off the plate, fought free, leaped to the floor, and ran away screaming.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Well, that's kind of the point of being a DM in the first place. Never forget that the other people at the table have their own stories to tell; just give them the materials, the opportunities, and don't be afraid to mess with them a little.

Fewer stories are told at my table of the time they met Elminster than of the time they were at that one inn where a gingerbread man screamed when the ranger picked one up off the plate, fought free, leaped to the floor, and ran away screaming.

I dunno, I think most of the DMs I have lked would leave the PCs saying something like "Wow, Elminster is a real piece of broccoli when he's drunk, isn't he?"

Letting meeting with Elminster be something that happened, but not the point of the story.

Well, except bragging that you held Elminster's head when he was making offerings at the porcelain altar. :zombie:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

I dunno, I think most of the DMs I have lked would leave the PCs saying something like "Wow, Elminster is a real piece of broccoli when he's drunk, isn't he?"

Letting meeting with Elminster be something that happened, but not the point of the story.

Well, except bragging that you held Elminster's head when he was making offerings at the porcelain altar. :zombie:

So I'm taking it that screaming cookies that struggle free and flee the room are a blase thing at YOUR house...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

So I'm taking it that screaming cookies that struggle free and flee the room are a blase thing at YOUR house...

I will not say that I have never done a screaming gingerbread man, but that involved a witch's cottage and a missing child....

The Auld Grump - but I have never put Elminster in a game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

See, that's the problem that I had with a guy that was a huge Forgotten Realms fan.  He had read all of the books, so when he ran a game, he had us meeting all of these iconic characters.  Me, not having much of a clue about all of the back story, would go, "hmm, this guy is being an elf-hole and disrespecting me" and then as I'm going to react in character get told it's some uber ninja-archer ranger dude and that I would get shellacked.

I played in the Realms some ten years, and even without things like this I grew to despise that place.  But, in the interests of honesty, I have never cared much for pre-packaged settings or modules anyway.  Modules, at least of the 1e-2e variety, have been pretty shoddy things as a whole - and campaign worlds always stuffed full of "legendary" characters from someone else's game that I didn't care about.  

What always interested me was having the tools to do your own thing, so playing somebody else's vision of the game from Official Merchandise was always an exercise in the combined horror of "disappointing waste of time" and its more evil counterpart "inappropriate humour that's lame".  

There was a Realms product, I forget which one, that suggested if the players were feeling a bit poorly and beat-up, then it would be a suitable solution to have Elminster wander through with his pet dog, whom he was trying to train, wielding a staff of curing and shouting "Heel! Heel!" to restore their vigour.  

With stunning examples like this, I remain at a loss to explain why good games are so rare and crap games so plentiful.  I guess it will remain an eternal mystery.  

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

45 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I will not say that I have never done a screaming gingerbread man, but that involved a witch's cottage and a missing child....

The Auld Grump - but I have never put Elminster in a game.

It was a Magefaire. Lots of chaos, weirdness, and mages using minor illusions for pranks, which also explained the gingerbread man.

Elminster was officiating at an event. The players were too terrified to approach him.

We did have one player who swore he'd challenge Drizz't to a duel, but Drizz't never seemed to turn up... for some reason...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

In the last four hours a lot has changed. He contacted me directly today and has been questioning EVERYTHING. 

At the start he asked me about my background and I said I'd like to take the soldier background. Serving for a time before retiring to tend bar. Essentially I made Porthos but instead of marrying I became a bartender.

He doesn't know anything about backgrounds. So I had to take him step by step through my barbarian's life.

Leaving his clan or homeland when he joined the army and campaigning for a short time (a few years) before settling down to tend bar.

He's also trying to put me as the romantic interest of my wife. Now we do play D&D together but we don't role play love interests. It's just weird and when I told him that was a firm no go he seemed really put out.

Which catches us up for the most part to now. Now he is trying to get me to take power tribal tattoos to increase my character's stats. Because at fifty years old why is he only a level five?

I tried to explain it's kind of like a wizard, they're usually senior citizens before they take up adventuring similar concept but with a barbarian. Not the argument to use apparently he took me to task about how wizards study for years before being able to do the simplest spell.

At this point I'm still going to this game but I'm just going to verify what this game is. I'm convinced this is a DM that wants to tell a very specific story and is using living people as his pawns.

• Like 1

...beware ANY DM who wants to arrange an in game love affair.

Just sayin'.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Just sayin'.

It's creepy right? I know we're married in real life but come on man have some decency. 

• Like 4

When you say 'New DM' do you mean somebody that is new to DMing, or do you mean a DM that is new to you?

I have had my fill of GM's that want to 'tell a story' - mostly from the old Storyteller system from White Wolf. (Going from the published adventures for the games.... the blame rests securely on the folks writing for the company. Some of the worst railroading that I have ever seen in published adventures.)

But it is very easy for a new GM to fall into that trap, especially if he or she listens to some of the more vocal GMs, in regards to 'forging a narrative'.

A GM should set up a situation, and let the PCs handle it as they see fit.

The Auld Grump

20 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Just sayin'.

I fully intend to flirt like crazy with my wife when/if we get to play in a game together. ::P:

The Auld Grump - bonus points if we can make the GM look sick to his stomach!

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

When you say 'New DM' do you mean somebody that is new to DMing, or do you mean a DM that is new to you?

He is new to me. He has supposedly run campaigns before but his knowledge seems so spotty I'm questioning that.

• Like 1

Some forms of storytelling simply do NOT work in RPG format. Epic romances COULD, I suppose, but I've never seen it except when it's a PC seducing an NPC, of the PC's own idea. And I've never seen that happen except when the PC was trying to get something out of the NPC, be it a jail key or a throne.

NPCs attempting to seduce PCs usually fail for similar reasons, but it can often be played for laughs. The hard point being that the PC is IN CONTROL OF THE SITUATION. The furthest I ever went was when the NPC princess was bound and determined to marry the handsome paladin, which led to the party tying up the paladin and fleeing with him tied across his own horse in the dead of night for his own good.

Perhaps there are DMs who could bring about The King And I between PCs, but I have never seen this... achieved successfully.

• Like 3