jykm-2b7-150d.jpg

This will be the Terrain build-up thread for the Valkyria Chronicles scenario I am creating here: Let’s Make … Gallia to Arms! A 20mm Valkyria Chronicles Scenario

I wanted to create a double effect with the terrain. On one hand, my goal was to recreate the atmosphere that Valkyria Chronicles radiates, this special kind of game and anime combination that made the game's artstyle so unique.

maxresdefault.jpg

On the other hand I was aware that there is some difference between the view the player in VC has on the units and terrain and the view a player has on a board game.

So I decided to mix the overall design with the art style of the original Blitzkrieg strategy game.

ss_9c9381abc54432955137ece657d0d34e23683

Well then - gehen wir's an!

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 7

Let's begin with the most important piece of a gaming board - and landscape, of course: a road sign.

I designed it out of some leftovers from previous builds ...

jykm-qi-d045.jpg

... finished it trying to do freehands and totally messed up.

jykm-qo-4daa.jpg

jykm-qr-b789.jpg

jykm-qp-e820.jpg

So I repainted it later on and used my improving skills in decal printing for the development of a more useful and readable road sign.

jykm-2ao-b3ab.jpg

jykm-2ap-dcf8.jpg

jykm-2aq-9150.jpg

jykm-2ar-2364.jpg

jykm-2as-c8e2.jpg

• Like 19

Yeah. It was a mess of work, as there is no font that equals the Gallian alphabet (Galphabet), so I had to make copies from both the game and the artbooks and do some photoshop work ... but it turned out nicely and therefore it was worth it :-D

Thanks for the comment, Al!

• Like 1

Thank you.

Well then - let's continue.

What would be a roadsign without a road?

So when I was at the local scale train shop, I got me a (amongst other things) number of wonderful road pieces that were on sale. Yay. (I normally buy only things on sale. I love sales. They are so ... cheap)

jykm-2c9-be2e.jpg

jykm-2cb-0897.jpg

The idea was to use an Internet tutorial created by The Terrain Tutor, who made some great roads. So I started using some putty, the road pieces and some plastic boards to create some dirt roads, some cobblestone roads and a market place.

jykm-2h9-01ea.jpg

jykm-2h8-d7c3.jpg

jykm-2h7-8ca8.jpg

Then the whole construction needed to dry for a bit, before I continued painting, applying some static grass and hurting my foot. (Maybe some of you guys remember the infamous reserve toe box from the Randomness thread)

Anyway - That's the outcome:

jykm-2ho-cafa.png

jykm-2hp-2952.png

jykm-2ji-b214.jpg

jykm-2jj-85ec.jpg

Marketplace will take some more time.

• Like 15

And another update.

Wandering the Do or Dice local wargaming convention in Rendsburg, I saw this wonderful miniature statue on a Bolt Action table.

jykm-2dx-8fd3.jpg

I had already aquired a number of statues myself, but they lacked a proper base to put them on the gaming table.

jykm-xb-0f2c.jpg

jykm-x8-6e7d.jpg

BUT NOW (!) I HAD FOUND A WONDERFUL SOLUTION! I HAD TO ADAPT IT!

jykm-2e2-4ac4.jpg

After I had cut some bases from plastic cards ...

jykm-2dy-8dd0.jpg

... I went on using some left over material from an old box and some plastic styrene ...

jykm-2e1-528d.jpg

... used some scale terrain bricks, sand, some putty and so on to make it look great (again) ...

jykm-2ha-f9cb.jpg

... sanded it, did some airbrush and brush work, then some grass and flower tufts ... et voilà:

jykm-2ht-4a74.png

jykm-2hq-24b5.png

jykm-2hr-3317.png

jykm-2hs-6c89.png

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 21

5 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

The statue looks awesome like that!

I think so, too.

Let's see how the other one will look

//

I am ashamed. I had two links in that post which were not working at all. Should be fixed by now.

• Like 1

Let's continue.

I got me a number of buildings from a small company in Germany. They create some 3d-print building kits and had some pieces left which they sold at a local wargaming convention.

jykm-w5-c210.jpg

... a lot of pieces.

jykm-ym-27d6.jpg

It took not long to understand why they sold those kits so cheap.

jykm-yn-c3e0.jpg

jykm-yo-781e.jpg

A lot of damages and some pieces were slightly miscast and warped, so I had to do a lot of corrections.

jykm-yp-1cdf.jpg

jykm-yq-76b2.jpg

jykm-yr-5d9b.jpg

Especially building number 2 had some serious issues.

jykm-12a-a3fa.jpg

jykm-129-d0b6.jpg

So I (and my friend who then got into this project, too) had to do a lot of corrections, including redoing some parts of the chimney.

jykm-14b-0546.jpg

jykm-14c-caff.jpg

While that was drying, I started painting building number one.

jykm-119-638e.jpg

jykm-148-96b4.jpg

jykm-149-fc31.jpg

jykm-14a-d682.jpg

jykm-1dc-33ed.jpg

jykm-1p9-6dfe.jpg

jykm-1p8-be24.jpg

The I continued cleaning and priming building number 2.

jykm-1d5-4dcd.jpg

jykm-1d6-ff11.jpg

And a few days later, I was able to aquire a third building. That one had been used as some kind of a show object, but was now not longer up to date and should be sold.

jykm-1s6-8650.jpg

jykm-1s7-2e82.jpg

Some work to do. I stripped the building and reprimed it.

jykm-1s8-470a.jpg

jykm-1s9-11ce.jpg

Now I had three buildings. Yay.

Back to building number one.

I had almost finished it, applied some washes and fest quite good about it. But there was something missing. I didn't know what it was, until I visited a museum with a friend and it struck me: The building was missing life.

So I went back to my computer, checked for scenes from the 1930s, used some Photoshop effects to make it a bit more like anime and printed me a foil. Then I glued everything together and finally:

jykm-1vo-49b5.jpg

jykm-1vp-60f9.jpg

jykm-1vr-290b.jpg

jykm-1vs-1847.jpg

jykm-1vt-afee.jpg

jykm-1vu-d622.jpg

jykm-1vv-0e14.jpg

jykm-1vq-98f4.jpg

Great! If that works with the other buildings, too, then the outcome will be great!

• Like 15

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack
      About this project
      Hello! We are Small Terrain Miniature Scenery, a small business run by myself (Andy) and my partner, Donna.
      Last year we launched our first ever Kickstarter to raise money for a new studio. The campaign was a huge success, that not only bought in much needed capital but an amazing new customer base.
      Since then we have had a second successful Kickstarter project with our "Take Cover!" sandbag range. Based on this we have decided to follow up with another project based around "Bricks and Mortar" themed terrain. Although aimed at  28mm WW2 systems like Bolt Action, these pieces will be more than suitable for 40K or modern settings like "The Walking Dead".
      We are looking to raise £500 to pay for the production of our new resin bricks and mortar themed terrain. The money will be spent on make both the masters and production moulds for this range.
      We have a great choice of pledge levels on offer that won't break the bank. You can also find all the measurements for each product at the bottom of the page so why not take a look!
      Tank Trap Set - £5
      This reward includes: 10x Single Tank Traps. Supplied Unpainted
      Brick Walls Set - £15
      This reward includes: 3x Medium Straight Brick Walls & 3x Short Straight Brick Walls. Supplied Unpainted
      Brick Pillbox - £20
      This reward will include: 1x Resin Cast Brick Pillbox With Removable Roof. Supplied Unpainted.
      Brick Wall Bundle Set - £28
      This reward includes: 6x Medium Straight Brick Walls & 6x Short Straight Brick Walls. Supplied Unpainted.
      Early Bird "Don't panic!" Bundle - £45
      This reward includes:10x Tank Trap pieces, 6x Medium Straight Brick Walls,  6x Short Straight Brick Walls & 1x Brick Pillbox Piece With Removable Roof. Supplied Unpainted.
      "Don't panic!" Bundle - £50
      This reward includes: 10x Tank Trap Pieces, 6x Medium Straight Brick Walls, 6x Short Straight Brick Walls & 1x Brick Pillbox Piece With Removable Roof. Supplied Unpainted.

Tank Traps: 2cm x 2cm x2cm (approx)
      Brick Walls Set: Medium wall 9cm x 1.5cm x 2cm, Small wall 5cm x 1.5cm x 2cm (approx)
      Brick Pillbox: 11.5cm x 11.5cm x 5.5cm (approx)
      A massive thank you for all your support, we hope you can help by sharing the campaign and we really can't wait to bring this new range to life
    • By kodiakbear
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dwarvenforge/caverns-deep-by-dwarven-forge-handcrafted-game-ter/description

If anybody here loves cavern terrain and missed DF's first cavern KS KS2, this spring/summer around June DF will have KS6. The theme of KS6 will be Return to the Caverns and should be great fun for those who took part in KS2 or those who are new to DF.

DF had this to say and showed the below teaser pics

We're doing for Caverns what Dungeon of Doom did for Dungeons. A whole new batch of fun pieces to enhance your existing collection, but also completely stand-alone.

Some of the key features:
      New Core Shapes (diagonal wall, convex curves, 1" pieces, etc)
      Passages
      Elevation (with stuff that's impossible on graph paper...)
      Negative Space pieces (and new Terrain Trays)
      Flashy Pieces (Magnets & LEDs)
      Large pieces (4x4 and larger)

• By SamuraiJack
      This was originally scheduled to launch a year ago:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/illusionist/taloc-mayan-a-tabletop-rpg-with-miniature-terrain?ref=discovery

About
      Choose your pledge The peoples of the ancient Maya began to polarize, forming two primary factions, the clan Kukul and clan Tezca.  Named the EagleBearers and the Jaguars respectively, their totems and animal familiars gave them untold amounts of power in their death throes against each other.  
      The Below is not immune to the dealings of those in the Above, and as their genocidal struggles continued, a great imbalance was created that must be satisfied before the End of Days.
      The Twin Gods You will choose a side, and work to re-balance the inequities created by this epic conflict.  In doing so you will travel amid rough jungle paths, swim through dripping cenotes, and even traverse the Below yourself in your quest to set things right.... but the days are numbered and the dangers are real.  It's a race against the calendar as you take advantage of the Mayan peculiarities of the day count, their namesakes, and the powers that are granted you as time goes on.
      We are big believers in "Theater of the Mind" roleplaying at the game table.  Our RPGs are designed to support your favorite rules systems (5e, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, Swords & Wizardry, BECMI, Cthulhu and more).  We also feel that miniature terrain adds to the suspension of disbelief that enables quality storytelling.  This is why our books support the AnySystem enhancement where QR codes throughout the book allow you to scan and download the stat blocks and rules of your choice, while you system independent folks can just use the book right as it is!  For an example of the AnySystem at work, you can visit www.DwarvenEpics.com and click on the Delverr's Keep adventure module.
      With custom dice, immersive storytelling, excellent DM props, quality terrain and solid design, we think your roleplaying games using the Taloc: Mayan setting will be a big hit on game night.
      We also enjoy developing game systems that lean toward free range storytelling.  You are welcome to download our Evolve RPG character sheets for the Taloc: Mayan game which have a unique feature where your character starts with 0 for all ability scores and zero skills, feats, or hindrances.  Using the Evolve RPG method of play, you earn your abilities and skills through excellent roleplaying demonstrated to the gamemaster.  As you perform, the GM will reward you with FATE tokens which you can spend to level up your character and earn your abilities and skills.  Try it out and let us know what you think!  We will post a free character sheet with a 2 page quickstart rulebook if you'd like to try it out.
       We are so pleased you would support our Taloc: Mayan campaign so we can deliver the best RPG sourcebooks for the ancient Mayan world.  Who knows what tales will emerge from the sunken cenotes of this jungle covered setting?  This sourcebook is one of many that we hope to deliver over the next few months so please support this first one and we will bring you even more content for this expansive realm.
      First of many planned supplements  Rich illustrations from leading artists will be included in the production of this storyline to deliver the best quality for you RPG group.
      Rich Artwork and Illustrations We have spent a lot of time investing in new creatures, archetypes and characters that you can play in the game.  These are available as 2D minis with stands for this kickstarter but in the future we hope to do so much more with them!  With your support we can.  Here are some of the archetypes we are working into the setting:
       We are pleased to celebrate the wonderful artwork of the inimitable Freddy Lopez who was the inspiration for all of our monsters and character archetypes.  Please support him and buy his prints!
      We are also pleased to have cover artwork by the inestimable Patrick Blaine who really set the tone for the project.  Please support him and his comics at Top Cow and other places where his art is featured.
    • By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/studiolevel/the-gardbuk-shrine-wargames-winter-complete-terrai?ref=discovery

About
      The GÅRDBÛK Shrine - it's a mysterious ruin with arcane,  esoteric  history.  Story tells of few beings who have returned from this frozen hell on earth, it seems that the souls of the ancient rulers live within its walls. Each of them must pay the debt to their god GARDBUK for the gift of afterlife, guard the secrets of their Lord's temple from dusk to dawn and kill all daredevils who cross the frozen Bugk river.  Only those whoare foolish enoughor extremely bold toapproach the ruins deliberately, others only when they get lost in this extreme nature ice-bound and snow-covered forest wild.
      Would you dare to learn the secrets of Gardbuk? Will you risk the lives of your soldiers to get to know secrets hidden in the stone cellars of the ruins? Would you fight an epic battle with  ther daredevils who want to find this place , or are you just looking for wargaming winter terrain and frosty scenery?  If the latter is true, The Gardbuk Shrine is definitely for you. 
      Build your dream tabletop game board today with this high resolution, premium printed mousepad gamemat and epic, handcrafted, fully painted StudioLevel terrain system. 

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/701587775/fantasy-facades-by-bannerless-builds?ref=discovery

About
      Bannerless Builds is the result of years of passion and study by our lead designer, Gregory Bowes, a lifetime gamer who studied theatre set design in university and worked with Shakespeare in the Park productions in Montreal.  
      Greg needed a solution for how much space the terrain collection he’d built over the years needed, and how long it took to set up. Inspiration came from an unlikely source; in his own words, “One night I was watching Blazing Saddles and the scene where they recreate the town near the end made a lot of sense to me, in that they had to do it quickly. At that point it all just clicked in my head.”  
      By applying his theatre experience to the tabletop, Greg was able to minimize the footprint of his scenery while sustaining his love for 3D terrain. As Greg puts it, “I fell in love with 3D gaming when I owned my own game store and used to play wargames with customers. I tend to think more creatively in 3D, one example was in a recent game when the bad guy was escaping from us, up some stairs while his minions kept us at bay. As the mage I blasted the stairs apart under him, causing him to fall.”
      This Kickstarter campaign is to bring you the first wave of Facades, Scenery and Terrain from Bannerless builds! 
      Now, with that all out of the way, let's check out how you can get some of the aforementioned Fantasy Facades:
       Sounds cool right? What makes it even better is that through PledgeManager, you're able to Add-On any item you like! Such as:
      Just add the Kickstarter Price amount of the item(s) you want to your pledge!  (please note the shipping cost per item!)
      (Please Note: Shown are a painted and unpainted version of each item. With the exception of "packs," you will receive one (1) unpainted item for each item purchased. Add-On Prices are in CAD, the exchange rate usually hovers around $1 CAD = $0.75 USD) 
  • Who's Online   42 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)