jykm-2b7-150d.jpg

This will be the Terrain build-up thread for the Valkyria Chronicles scenario I am creating here: Let’s Make … Gallia to Arms! A 20mm Valkyria Chronicles Scenario

I wanted to create a double effect with the terrain. On one hand, my goal was to recreate the atmosphere that Valkyria Chronicles radiates, this special kind of game and anime combination that made the game's artstyle so unique.

maxresdefault.jpg

On the other hand I was aware that there is some difference between the view the player in VC has on the units and terrain and the view a player has on a board game.

So I decided to mix the overall design with the art style of the original Blitzkrieg strategy game.

ss_9c9381abc54432955137ece657d0d34e23683

Well then - gehen wir's an!

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 7

Let's begin with the most important piece of a gaming board - and landscape, of course: a road sign.

I designed it out of some leftovers from previous builds ...

jykm-qi-d045.jpg

... finished it trying to do freehands and totally messed up.

jykm-qo-4daa.jpg

jykm-qr-b789.jpg

jykm-qp-e820.jpg

So I repainted it later on and used my improving skills in decal printing for the development of a more useful and readable road sign.

jykm-2ao-b3ab.jpg

jykm-2ap-dcf8.jpg

jykm-2aq-9150.jpg

jykm-2ar-2364.jpg

jykm-2as-c8e2.jpg

• Like 19

Yeah. It was a mess of work, as there is no font that equals the Gallian alphabet (Galphabet), so I had to make copies from both the game and the artbooks and do some photoshop work ... but it turned out nicely and therefore it was worth it :-D

Thanks for the comment, Al!

• Like 1

Thank you.

Well then - let's continue.

What would be a roadsign without a road?

So when I was at the local scale train shop, I got me a (amongst other things) number of wonderful road pieces that were on sale. Yay. (I normally buy only things on sale. I love sales. They are so ... cheap)

jykm-2c9-be2e.jpg

jykm-2cb-0897.jpg

The idea was to use an Internet tutorial created by The Terrain Tutor, who made some great roads. So I started using some putty, the road pieces and some plastic boards to create some dirt roads, some cobblestone roads and a market place.

jykm-2h9-01ea.jpg

jykm-2h8-d7c3.jpg

jykm-2h7-8ca8.jpg

Then the whole construction needed to dry for a bit, before I continued painting, applying some static grass and hurting my foot. (Maybe some of you guys remember the infamous reserve toe box from the Randomness thread)

Anyway - That's the outcome:

jykm-2ho-cafa.png

jykm-2hp-2952.png

jykm-2ji-b214.jpg

jykm-2jj-85ec.jpg

Marketplace will take some more time.

• Like 15

And another update.

Wandering the Do or Dice local wargaming convention in Rendsburg, I saw this wonderful miniature statue on a Bolt Action table.

jykm-2dx-8fd3.jpg

I had already aquired a number of statues myself, but they lacked a proper base to put them on the gaming table.

jykm-xb-0f2c.jpg

jykm-x8-6e7d.jpg

BUT NOW (!) I HAD FOUND A WONDERFUL SOLUTION! I HAD TO ADAPT IT!

jykm-2e2-4ac4.jpg

After I had cut some bases from plastic cards ...

jykm-2dy-8dd0.jpg

... I went on using some left over material from an old box and some plastic styrene ...

jykm-2e1-528d.jpg

... used some scale terrain bricks, sand, some putty and so on to make it look great (again) ...

jykm-2ha-f9cb.jpg

... sanded it, did some airbrush and brush work, then some grass and flower tufts ... et voilà:

jykm-2ht-4a74.png

jykm-2hq-24b5.png

jykm-2hr-3317.png

jykm-2hs-6c89.png

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 20

5 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

The statue looks awesome like that!

I think so, too.

Let's see how the other one will look

//

I am ashamed. I had two links in that post which were not working at all. Should be fixed by now.

• Like 1

Let's continue.

I got me a number of buildings from a small company in Germany. They create some 3d-print building kits and had some pieces left which they sold at a local wargaming convention.

jykm-w5-c210.jpg

... a lot of pieces.

jykm-ym-27d6.jpg

It took not long to understand why they sold those kits so cheap.

jykm-yn-c3e0.jpg

jykm-yo-781e.jpg

A lot of damages and some pieces were slightly miscast and warped, so I had to do a lot of corrections.

jykm-yp-1cdf.jpg

jykm-yq-76b2.jpg

jykm-yr-5d9b.jpg

Especially building number 2 had some serious issues.

jykm-12a-a3fa.jpg

jykm-129-d0b6.jpg

So I (and my friend who then got into this project, too) had to do a lot of corrections, including redoing some parts of the chimney.

jykm-14b-0546.jpg

jykm-14c-caff.jpg

While that was drying, I started painting building number one.

jykm-119-638e.jpg

jykm-148-96b4.jpg

jykm-149-fc31.jpg

jykm-14a-d682.jpg

jykm-1dc-33ed.jpg

jykm-1p9-6dfe.jpg

jykm-1p8-be24.jpg

The I continued cleaning and priming building number 2.

jykm-1d5-4dcd.jpg

jykm-1d6-ff11.jpg

And a few days later, I was able to aquire a third building. That one had been used as some kind of a show object, but was now not longer up to date and should be sold.

jykm-1s6-8650.jpg

jykm-1s7-2e82.jpg

Some work to do. I stripped the building and reprimed it.

jykm-1s8-470a.jpg

jykm-1s9-11ce.jpg

Now I had three buildings. Yay.

Back to building number one.

I had almost finished it, applied some washes and fest quite good about it. But there was something missing. I didn't know what it was, until I visited a museum with a friend and it struck me: The building was missing life.

So I went back to my computer, checked for scenes from the 1930s, used some Photoshop effects to make it a bit more like anime and printed me a foil. Then I glued everything together and finally:

jykm-1vo-49b5.jpg

jykm-1vp-60f9.jpg

jykm-1vr-290b.jpg

jykm-1vs-1847.jpg

jykm-1vt-afee.jpg

jykm-1vu-d622.jpg

jykm-1vv-0e14.jpg

jykm-1vq-98f4.jpg

Great! If that works with the other buildings, too, then the outcome will be great!

• Like 14

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack
      About
      A ground-breaking tabletop building system, made of durable, highly detailed, precise laser cut MDF and grey board. All buildings come ready to use, no glue required. THIS IS NOT A KIT!
      This unique system for 28mm tabletop games and RPG's uses strong earth magnets to attach the building exteriors (skins) to a base box. 
      Construction couldn't be simpler! The magnetic system means the buildings can be easily and quickly assembled, disassembled and reassembled over and over in various combinations. 
       PLAY Not only can you change skins to create different building combinations from within a range, you can also select skins from other ranges depending on the game or period you wish to play. This cross-game terrain system means you can build a Wild West town one evening, then just by changing the skins on the base box, a fantasy village for a wargame the next. 
       PLAY All skins are pre-assembled and designed to flat-pack away. This  makes transportation much easier and considerably cuts down storage needed, keeping everyone happy.
      What's more, your base box can be used as storage for your figures and other gaming elements, such as dice and tokens.

• By SisterMaryNapalm
      Salvete, Amici!

Phew ... some time since I wrote that last time ... haha!

Well then: Time to feel the might of the Roman Legion, the breast best army of ancient Europe!

I planned to be abscent from painting for some time more, but it happened that I got a more or less good reason to start again. A friend of mine who I have known for quite some time now - he is one of the master minds behind some of the Gallia to Arms builds - I decided to make a little present for him.

Anyway ... this guy is a great fan of the Roman legion and he even has an 28mm Roman army. He is creating his army a bit in the style of an Asterix Roman army, having bought some of the characters and using them in his force.

But he still misses a force commander - and that is where I come into play. On the last Tactica wargaming event, I got a female Roman centurion from the Hot&Dangerous brand and I immediately thought what a great force commander she would make. Alea iacta est!

I don't know what would be a better fit - his birthday or christmas - but I can decide that when I am as far as I want to be.

But I will not only give the figure to him. Nah - I think this is a great opportunity for me to get back into painting. So I used my social skills to ask about some of his concepts and I think now I have got a good idea of what I have to do.

And now it is time to MAKE A GREAT PRESENT AGAIN!

Those are all the parts I have got. The lady can either use a mirror or her helmet to check her hair. Really now? I mean ... use one or the other? Nah. Not with me. She will use the mirror, but I will put the helmet in front of her and cut away her arm, so that all parts are on the base.

And now for some basing!

Valete!

• By DocPiske
      I'll edit this once I switch from my phone to my PC.

Edit:
      OK, I got these just last week but I wanted to use them at the Origins Game Fair in Columbus, OH, June 14-17, so I got to work the day they arrived and started washing them with dish soap and hot water. I couldn't wait for them to dry so I started designing the layout while they were still wet!

Next day I glued them in place. They are mounted on expanded foam insulation, this particular brand comes in 1/2 inch thickness, 14.5 by 48 inches. It is used to go between 2x4 wall studs, hence the odd width. Any way, it a good size for modular gaming terrain once cut down to 24 inches and doubled up. I used Gorilla brand glue to attache the tiles to the substrate; I knew PVA (Elmers) glue would not stick well to the PVC tiles from trying it on Reaper Bones, and CA (Superglue) glue does not play nice with expanded foam. The Gorilla glue I used dried white; it looks strange against the gray tiles, but as it was all getting painted anyway it did not matter. Two properties of Gorilla glue I had forgotten worked in my favor. First, it requires a little moisture to cure, and so it didn't matter the tiles were not entirely dry after one day. I also used a sponge to dampen the flat underside of all the tiles. Second the glue expands! The tiles don't fit together well and have a lot of gaps, so the expanding glue helped fill in those gaps. I had to go back later and trim some of the excess glue but that was easy with a hobby knife. By the way you might want to use gloves if you're using Gorilla glue; it sticks to skin pretty well, too.

After another day of drying I first painted all the exposed foam with black craft paint to protect it from the next step. I then sprayed the piece with Army Painted black primer; the solvents in most spray paints will dissolve expanded foam, and indeed some on this piece was pockmarked even though it was covered in acrylic paint first. After a few hours I then applied the first, heavy "damp" brush of a slate gray interior household paint I picked up on the clearance "oops" rack at Walmart. I used this kind of cheap interior paint to base coat my terrain; it's cheap and durable, but it takes longer to dry and does not cover as well if not applied heavily. Hence the "damp" brush instead of a true dry brush. Once that was cured I followed up with some dry brushed dolphin gray craft paint. I then used Reaper brown wash to paint all the wood and metal rails. I lightly stippled the rails with some silver paint and then did a second, lighter dry brush with the dolphin gray. The next day I mixed some black and brown craft paint and made a wash, and used some Reaper Red, Green and Blue liners to add some variation to the stone. Once all that dried I then applied a final, very light dry brush of a cream color.

There is more I'd like to do to this piece, like add some lighting and the mine carts that came with the SW KS reward, and filling in some more gaps in the walls, but I think this will do for now. And I have almost half of my reward left yet for another piece.

I really like these tiles; I see me buying more soon. Well done, MisterJustin and Secret Weapon Minis.

• By SamuraiJack
      About this project
      The Story
      Hello again from Munchkin Metropolis!  This time around I'm targeting all of you Roleplay Gamers!  With my DIY Dungeon Kit you can now take your game nights to a whole new level.  Being able to customize your dungeons into the format you want makes being a game master so much more fun!  Below you'll see the Base Set that includes the 4 most popular sets, plus the Stretch Goal Furniture Set.  The miniatures pictured are not included in your reward (I just wanted to show how I personally utilize this setup)...Other than that, the picture is exactly what you'll receive. 
      Too Much Information
      I've recently been to the Doc and have been placed on a very strict diet and workout regimen (Working out isn't that strict, it's just 30min of light cardio daily).  But he told me not to do anything overly physical, which for a woodworker means I can't really work.  So, to save my heart and keep my business afloat, I've chosen a campaign that utilizes the laser for 80% of the work...with the remaining 20% being light physical duty.
      Due to the sheer weight of these items, I've worked to minimize the cost on materials and labor as much as possible.   The base set weighs almost 15lb and will ship in a 12x12x6 corrugated box.  Making each set is 8 hours of laser time and about 2 hours physical labor (Which is why I set the delivery date 2 months out instead of 1...but for you early backers, expect me to start shipping rewards within a week of the campaign ending.)  Mostly, I wanted to GUARANTEE delivery before Christmas.  By setting it to October, I will have plenty of time to handle anything that comes up. 
      The base set already includes the 4 most popular Expansions and will make an AWESOME Christmas Gift!  
      The floor pieces are designed so that you can expand into infinity to make those LARGE scale battle zones.  
      You'll choose either 1 or 2 inch per expansion. Each Wall Expansion is designed to be as versatile as your campaign!  
      A Base Set ready to ship (The Furniture Set is in the bag)  

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rwgdesign/the-do-it-yourself-dungeon-kit
    • By lexomatic
      This is ending in 50 hours... Haven't seen it posted. There's a thread from 2015 for other tiles. I'm intrigued by the digital option.

• Who's Online   16 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)