This will be the Terrain build-up thread for the Valkyria Chronicles scenario I am creating here: Let’s Make … Gallia to Arms! A 20mm Valkyria Chronicles Scenario

I wanted to create a double effect with the terrain. On one hand, my goal was to recreate the atmosphere that Valkyria Chronicles radiates, this special kind of game and anime combination that made the game's artstyle so unique.

On the other hand I was aware that there is some difference between the view the player in VC has on the units and terrain and the view a player has on a board game.

So I decided to mix the overall design with the art style of the original Blitzkrieg strategy game.

Well then - gehen wir's an!

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 7

Let's begin with the most important piece of a gaming board - and landscape, of course: a road sign.

I designed it out of some leftovers from previous builds ...

... finished it trying to do freehands and totally messed up.

So I repainted it later on and used my improving skills in decal printing for the development of a more useful and readable road sign.

• Like 17

Yeah. It was a mess of work, as there is no font that equals the Gallian alphabet (Galphabet), so I had to make copies from both the game and the artbooks and do some photoshop work ... but it turned out nicely and therefore it was worth it :-D

Thanks for the comment, Al!

• Like 1

Thank you.

Well then - let's continue.

What would be a roadsign without a road?

So when I was at the local scale train shop, I got me a (amongst other things) number of wonderful road pieces that were on sale. Yay. (I normally buy only things on sale. I love sales. They are so ... cheap)

The idea was to use an Internet tutorial created by The Terrain Tutor, who made some great roads. So I started using some putty, the road pieces and some plastic boards to create some dirt roads, some cobblestone roads and a market place.

Then the whole construction needed to dry for a bit, before I continued painting, applying some static grass and hurting my foot. (Maybe some of you guys remember the infamous reserve toe box from the Randomness thread)

Anyway - That's the outcome:

Marketplace will take some more time.

• Like 12

And another update.

Wandering the Do or Dice local wargaming convention in Rendsburg, I saw this wonderful miniature statue on a Bolt Action table.

I had already aquired a number of statues myself, but they lacked a proper base to put them on the gaming table.

After I had cut some bases from plastic cards ...

... I went on using some left over material from an old box and some plastic styrene ...

... used some scale terrain bricks, sand, some putty and so on to make it look great (again) ...

... sanded it, did some airbrush and brush work, then some grass and flower tufts ... et voilà:

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 17

5 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

The statue looks awesome like that!

I think so, too.

Let's see how the other one will look

I am ashamed. I had two links in that post which were not working at all. Should be fixed by now.

• Like 1

Let's continue.

I got me a number of buildings from a small company in Germany. They create some 3d-print building kits and had some pieces left which they sold at a local wargaming convention.

... a lot of pieces.

It took not long to understand why they sold those kits so cheap.

A lot of damages and some pieces were slightly miscast and warped, so I had to do a lot of corrections.

Especially building number 2 had some serious issues.

So I (and my friend who then got into this project, too) had to do a lot of corrections, including redoing some parts of the chimney.

While that was drying, I started painting building number one.

The I continued cleaning and priming building number 2.

And a few days later, I was able to aquire a third building. That one had been used as some kind of a show object, but was now not longer up to date and should be sold.

Some work to do. I stripped the building and reprimed it.

Now I had three buildings. Yay.

Back to building number one.

I had almost finished it, applied some washes and fest quite good about it. But there was something missing. I didn't know what it was, until I visited a museum with a friend and it struck me: The building was missing life.

So I went back to my computer, checked for scenes from the 1930s, used some Photoshop effects to make it a bit more like anime and printed me a foil. Then I glued everything together and finally:

Great! If that works with the other buildings, too, then the outcome will be great!

• Like 11

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now