jykm-2b7-150d.jpg

This will be the Terrain build-up thread for the Valkyria Chronicles scenario I am creating here: Let’s Make … Gallia to Arms! A 20mm Valkyria Chronicles Scenario

I wanted to create a double effect with the terrain. On one hand, my goal was to recreate the atmosphere that Valkyria Chronicles radiates, this special kind of game and anime combination that made the game's artstyle so unique.

maxresdefault.jpg

On the other hand I was aware that there is some difference between the view the player in VC has on the units and terrain and the view a player has on a board game.

So I decided to mix the overall design with the art style of the original Blitzkrieg strategy game.

ss_9c9381abc54432955137ece657d0d34e23683

Well then - gehen wir's an!

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 7

Let's begin with the most important piece of a gaming board - and landscape, of course: a road sign.

I designed it out of some leftovers from previous builds ...

jykm-qi-d045.jpg

... finished it trying to do freehands and totally messed up.

jykm-qo-4daa.jpg

jykm-qr-b789.jpg

jykm-qp-e820.jpg

So I repainted it later on and used my improving skills in decal printing for the development of a more useful and readable road sign.

jykm-2ao-b3ab.jpg

jykm-2ap-dcf8.jpg

jykm-2aq-9150.jpg

jykm-2ar-2364.jpg

jykm-2as-c8e2.jpg

• Like 19

Yeah. It was a mess of work, as there is no font that equals the Gallian alphabet (Galphabet), so I had to make copies from both the game and the artbooks and do some photoshop work ... but it turned out nicely and therefore it was worth it :-D

Thanks for the comment, Al!

• Like 1

Thank you.

Well then - let's continue.

What would be a roadsign without a road?

So when I was at the local scale train shop, I got me a (amongst other things) number of wonderful road pieces that were on sale. Yay. (I normally buy only things on sale. I love sales. They are so ... cheap)

jykm-2c9-be2e.jpg

jykm-2cb-0897.jpg

The idea was to use an Internet tutorial created by The Terrain Tutor, who made some great roads. So I started using some putty, the road pieces and some plastic boards to create some dirt roads, some cobblestone roads and a market place.

jykm-2h9-01ea.jpg

jykm-2h8-d7c3.jpg

jykm-2h7-8ca8.jpg

Then the whole construction needed to dry for a bit, before I continued painting, applying some static grass and hurting my foot. (Maybe some of you guys remember the infamous reserve toe box from the Randomness thread)

Anyway - That's the outcome:

jykm-2ho-cafa.png

jykm-2hp-2952.png

jykm-2ji-b214.jpg

jykm-2jj-85ec.jpg

Marketplace will take some more time.

• Like 15

And another update.

Wandering the Do or Dice local wargaming convention in Rendsburg, I saw this wonderful miniature statue on a Bolt Action table.

jykm-2dx-8fd3.jpg

I had already aquired a number of statues myself, but they lacked a proper base to put them on the gaming table.

jykm-xb-0f2c.jpg

jykm-x8-6e7d.jpg

BUT NOW (!) I HAD FOUND A WONDERFUL SOLUTION! I HAD TO ADAPT IT!

jykm-2e2-4ac4.jpg

After I had cut some bases from plastic cards ...

jykm-2dy-8dd0.jpg

... I went on using some left over material from an old box and some plastic styrene ...

jykm-2e1-528d.jpg

... used some scale terrain bricks, sand, some putty and so on to make it look great (again) ...

jykm-2ha-f9cb.jpg

... sanded it, did some airbrush and brush work, then some grass and flower tufts ... et voilà:

jykm-2ht-4a74.png

jykm-2hq-24b5.png

jykm-2hr-3317.png

jykm-2hs-6c89.png

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 21

5 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

The statue looks awesome like that!

I think so, too.

Let's see how the other one will look

//

I am ashamed. I had two links in that post which were not working at all. Should be fixed by now.

• Like 1

Let's continue.

I got me a number of buildings from a small company in Germany. They create some 3d-print building kits and had some pieces left which they sold at a local wargaming convention.

jykm-w5-c210.jpg

... a lot of pieces.

jykm-ym-27d6.jpg

It took not long to understand why they sold those kits so cheap.

jykm-yn-c3e0.jpg

jykm-yo-781e.jpg

A lot of damages and some pieces were slightly miscast and warped, so I had to do a lot of corrections.

jykm-yp-1cdf.jpg

jykm-yq-76b2.jpg

jykm-yr-5d9b.jpg

Especially building number 2 had some serious issues.

jykm-12a-a3fa.jpg

jykm-129-d0b6.jpg

So I (and my friend who then got into this project, too) had to do a lot of corrections, including redoing some parts of the chimney.

jykm-14b-0546.jpg

jykm-14c-caff.jpg

While that was drying, I started painting building number one.

jykm-119-638e.jpg

jykm-148-96b4.jpg

jykm-149-fc31.jpg

jykm-14a-d682.jpg

jykm-1dc-33ed.jpg

jykm-1p9-6dfe.jpg

jykm-1p8-be24.jpg

The I continued cleaning and priming building number 2.

jykm-1d5-4dcd.jpg

jykm-1d6-ff11.jpg

And a few days later, I was able to aquire a third building. That one had been used as some kind of a show object, but was now not longer up to date and should be sold.

jykm-1s6-8650.jpg

jykm-1s7-2e82.jpg

Some work to do. I stripped the building and reprimed it.

jykm-1s8-470a.jpg

jykm-1s9-11ce.jpg

Now I had three buildings. Yay.

Back to building number one.

I had almost finished it, applied some washes and fest quite good about it. But there was something missing. I didn't know what it was, until I visited a museum with a friend and it struck me: The building was missing life.

So I went back to my computer, checked for scenes from the 1930s, used some Photoshop effects to make it a bit more like anime and printed me a foil. Then I glued everything together and finally:

jykm-1vo-49b5.jpg

jykm-1vp-60f9.jpg

jykm-1vr-290b.jpg

jykm-1vs-1847.jpg

jykm-1vt-afee.jpg

jykm-1vu-d622.jpg

jykm-1vv-0e14.jpg

jykm-1vq-98f4.jpg

Great! If that works with the other buildings, too, then the outcome will be great!

• Like 15

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jordan Peacock
      Okay, so this isn't so much a "conversion" as it is an "appropriation."  I had #77470 "Elthin Bluesteel, Gunslinger" (Pathfinder Bones) in my box o' Kickstarter Bones, while I was digging through to find anything that might even remotely look appropriate for a "Wild West" scenario.  Sure, he's got some crazy boots, a big ol' dagger, and some sort of leather armor layered thing going on with his torso area, but he's got a gun, a cowboy hat, and a drape to one side that feels kind of Eastwood-ish to me. 

He also suffers from a wee bit of "melty face," as there's next-to-no definition to that face, and I'm still not even sure where the eyes were supposed to be, exactly.  In my case, though, that only inspired me to notice that the details for his leather armor, etc., were so shallow that most of the parts incongruous to a cowboy gunslinger could probably just be painted over.  He's not going to win any contests, but looks passable as another pistol-toting gunslinger in just another ordinary western town.  (In this case, it would be the Flats outside quasi-historic Fort Griffin, as interpreted by Dog House Rules LLC in their "Frontier Towns: Fort Griffin" supplement.  I based the scratch-built building off of a floor plan by Karl Keesler, and it's the central piece to a mini-adventure pulled from the book.)

Anyway, I just think there's something ... amusing? ... about when I can delve into Reaper's regular fantasy line and find something that would work perfectly well for other genres.  For some subjects, there's nothing terribly special about it: A fox is a fox, a bird is a bird, a dog is a dog, a cat is a cat, and it's not the least bit surprising that a pack of little animal familiars in the fantasy line would work just as well as pets for a modern or historic or even sci-fi setting (we just pretend that they're REPLICANT animals, or we paint them in funky colors).  Plus, there are a number of D&D-ish monsters that bear no resemblance to anything recognizable from well-known myths and such -- and the only reason we think of them as "fantasy" was because Gary Gygax found a bunch of cheap plastic imported Kaiju toys and transformed them into "owlbears" and "rust monsters" and so forth for D&D, and "D&D is fantasy," so that's that.

Still, somehow there's something "neat" about digging through a big box o' Kickstarter Bones, picking up some barbarian model, and realizing that if only I swap his bendy axe with a spare 40K POWER AXE, and paint up his armor plates to look like scrap metal (maybe with some paper-printed license plates and stop signs glued on), he'd make a GREAT post-apocalyptic raider type, etc.  Or, some beast-man monster type could just as easily be some sort of pulp-universe alien, if only I paint up his armor a little differently and stick a ray-gun in his hand.  And one of these days I'm going to turn that Mantis Assassin into a Kamen Rider.  ;)

Oh yeah, and as for the building: That's scratch-built from foam-core, cardstock (for raised details such as window and door frames), mat board, craft sticks, chopsticks (for the porch pillars), and wire, decorated with some Hirst Arts Castlemolds castings (for the porch furniture).
    • By tombwalker
      One of my newer pieces.  Been having a play with a couple of corrugating tools and a baked bean tin.  Really enjoy making these things,  just need a bigger house to store them in.

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1365144247/axolote-hex-3d-hex-dungeons?ref=discovery

About
      Gloomhaven Scenario 1 - Miniatures are property of Cephalofair Games 3d printable hex tiles, perfectly compatible with Gloomhaven or any RPG, as well as Shadespire and other hex based games by scaling up the tiles.
      Adventuring in multiple universes often takes us to fantastic places, 3d printing has made it possible to bring the worlds from our imaginations to the table. There are already many systems which create fantastic dungeons, caverns, towns and forests; however all of these systems use square based grids. Squares are very good for some things, making a rectangular room is easier to imagine than adding walls to a hex grid, however this set has a new way to make easy walls while also taking the many advantages of a hex grid which are:
      No diagonal movement - fair and more natural movement 1 hex based module - more configurations and more possible builds Adjacency - No diagonal attacks, every slot available to attackers is clear Natural Formations - Hexes present a more natural shape so they adapt better to natural formations Irregular Rooms - whenever there is a skew wall squares tend to have too much unused space, with hex grids you can do walls in every 8 directions with our wall system. Easier Spells - some spells have a much easier way to calculate the appropriate area of effect. These are only some of the advantages, if you want to convert to hex d20SRD has some other pointers. 
      This set uses Printable Scenery's Openlock design. Their design is well known and has been open from the get-go, this has let a ton of people grow the community and make some incredible designs. If you like this set please visit their page to look at what they have. I am also working on a solution to make the sets more compatible and have some connection tiles, go from squares to hexes!
      Texture Sets
      This campaign has 4 base sets, and one trap and decoration bundle, Most of the sets include at least 1 tile per available frame, one wall per wall length and a column. Most have more options that will be listed below.
      The Dungeon Set has a complete set, plus some extra broken walls and floors with moss and a more broken stone.
      The Cave set has extra wall textures to make your caverns look more realistic.
      The Tavern set has an extra set of "inn" walls with stucco to give some wall variety.
      The Grassland set has 3 full sets of floors, grass, mixed and dirt, this way you can make roads and transition tiles easily.
      With over 45 different decorations and traps, this is the perfect addition to liven up your dungeons and make them look more populated. includes some tiles that snap on to the frame system. 
    • By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1734183564/alpha-tauri-sci-fi-tabletop-terrain?ref=discovery

About
      Our new Alpha-Tauri wargaminig terrain fits to all of your favorite 28mm - 30mm tabletop and miniature games.
      All buildings are hand-casted and are made of high quality resin.
      With our set you can build a very impressive sience-fiction wargame scenery or a nice diorama to present your miniatures in a showcase.
      The miniatures that are shown in our pictures are from Wargame Exclusive. They allowed us to use their miniatures for size comparison.
      The miniatures of wargame exclusive are also made of high quality resin.
      Now, take a look at our fantastic new Alpha-Tauri buildings.
      This is our Taygeta Defense-Line Starter-Set
      Picture 1: Taygeta Starter-Set Picture 2: Look how good the Wargame Exclusive miniatures are taking cover Picture 3: Also the back of the walls are nicely designed Your starships, antigrav-tanks and jetbikes can easily land on the Elnath Landing-Pad. 
      Picture 4: Drones and a jetbike are just landed. Picture 5: Enough space to turn around If the Defense Line is not enough, your combat troops can take cover in our Atria Bunker.
      Picture 6: Atria Bunker, solid to withstand any fire Picture 7: You can remove the roof to place your miniatures inside the pillbox. Picture 8: The 28mm scale Wargame Exclusive miniatures can look over the walls With our Cebalrai Artillery-Bunker your troops are able to fire back on their enemies.
      Picture 9: Cabalrai Artillery Bunker is equiped with a 3-gun turret. Picture 10: You can easily remove the 3-gun turret to replace it with another one you own
    • By Chris Palmer
      I bought into the recent Terrain Crate Kickstarter; getting the Dungeon Crate, and the Battlefield Crate, along with the Dark Lord's Tower set.  My Terrain Crate shipment arrived in the early Summer, and I immediately painted two of the large tents that came with the "Campsite" portion of the Battlefield Crate to use in a game I did at Historicon.  Recently, I've been painting some of the "Abandoned Mine" stuff from the Dungeon Crate, as I am preparing for a game a friend and I are doing at Fall-In using our Tablescapes Dungeon Mines sets.    

I thought I'd start a thread to chronicle the pieces I paint, to help me keep track, and to help keep me motivated to keep plowing through.  There's a lot of pieces!   I hope to use a bunch of it in my Fall-In game, so have some motivation there as well.

Big Tents:

The Terrain Crate stuff goes great with the Tablescapes Dungeon Mines sets.

Explosives:

Tool Racks:

• Who's Online   28 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)