Well then,

time to present the piece of terrain AND project in this project, which (apart from the tank) was the longest AND most dearest to me: The windmill.

Like the Holland and parts of Belgium (please correct me, @Glitterwolf, when I am wrong), Gallia is the country of windmills.

jykm-qw-b55e.jpg

For me that meant, I had to get me a windmill.

Though in the game and the anime, Gallias windmills seem to be dutch windmills, I was looking for a more anime-esque approach. Plus, 28mm windmills are not sooo widely spread among the product lines of certain terrain casters.

At that time my own abillities in crafting stuff myself where rather low, so I looked though the flea markets in the miniature forums I am in and was able to find a fitting windmill, which unfortunately was a German post windmill.

But well, it couldn't be helped and I thought it might make a wonderful addition to the other terrain I was creating at that time.

So I got it.

As it was a massive piece of resin, there were a lot of corrections to make, pins to use and holes to make until it finially fit together.

Wow. Now I had I big piece of resin standing in my showcase.

Now I had to decide how to continue. Some research provided me with some information on size and and shape of the base, so I cut some styrene and created a base for the windmill.

jykm-tp-537d.jpg

jykm-to-27ed.jpg

Just to give you an idea of how big that piece is ... here is a comparison with a small shed and my 1/7 Selvaria Bles figure, which is measuring 34 cm in height.

jykm-yj-3dfc.jpg

And some close ups of different parts before priming them.

jykm-14f-4dfb.jpg

jykm-14e-eee2.jpg

jykm-14d-b7d9.jpg

And after priming:

jykm-1sb-6e73.jpg

jykm-1sc-eacc.jpg

jykm-1sd-b930.jpg

But there was still some stuff missing. Some research later I knew what I had to create to make the mill look more lively. Sails!

Well then ... let's do it.

jykm-1sa-0124.jpg

The sails were made out of tissue, cut and glued in place ...

jykm-1sf-f37d.jpg

... and together with some progress on the base ...

jykm-1sh-3214.jpg

jykm-1sg-be4d.jpg

... they already created a quite impressive piece of terrain.

jykm-1si-1a87.jpg

Folllowing a little jump in time, the mill was almost finished. Of course, I had to colour the sails in the national colours of Gallia.

jykm-1tc-640d.jpg

jykm-1td-0a49.jpg

jykm-1te-199f.jpg

jykm-1tf-206d.jpg

jykm-1tg-177d.jpg

jykm-1th-4f1e.jpg

jykm-1ti-6a85.jpg

jykm-1tj-5ea9.jpg

jykm-1tk-2197.jpg

jykm-1tl-7d3d.jpg

jykm-1tm-09d4.jpg

The whole piece together with a selfmade truck (which I will talk about later on).

jykm-1tn-77a3.jpg

But we are not done yet. It's all about da base, isn't it?

So let's focus on that.

After applying the base colour ...

jykm-1to-2b97.jpg

... and some grass ...

jykm-1tp-a982.jpg

jykm-1tq-d98d.jpg

jykm-1tu-024f.jpg

jykm-1tt-270f.jpg

jykm-1tw-15f9.jpg

jykm-1tv-7e2a.jpg

... there was one final detail to do: The stairs that lead up to the mill were too short, obviously broken or miscast. I don't know.

But to make them work, We had to either redo some stairs or find a different solution ... well ... my friend and I thought about it for a while and then thought of a different solution. A bit weird, but I guess more anime-like than just repairing the stairs.

jykm-25m-39f8.jpg

And here we are - the mill is done. It still is missing some flowers to make the base look more natural, but those will be shown in a later WIP. For now we are done.

jykm-25n-781b.jpg

And that concludes my participation at Reaper Forums - at least for this year.

Happy new year, everyone!

See you next year!

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Looking good!

And yes we have windmills in the Low Lands.

I guessed so.

Thanks for the comment!

• Like 1

That really is a cool piece. Out on Long Island there is a little town, appropriately enough name Windmill that has a windmill quite similar to yours if memory serves me correctly.

All that aside yours looks TERRIFIC. The three wheeled truck is a cool piece as well. OUTSTANDING WORK!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, malefactus said:

That really is a cool piece. Out on Long Island there is a little town, appropriately enough name Windmill that has a windmill quite similar to yours if memory serves me correctly.

All that aside yours looks TERRIFIC. The three wheeled truck is a cool piece as well. OUTSTANDING WORK!

Thank you!

The tricycle truck will be the center of a future WIP. So stay tuned ^^

• Like 3

Let's continue. This time just a small update with some ... aehm ... stuff - so to speak.

Rummaging through my bits boxes and leftovers from previous projects and never-brought-to-life-ideas I found some older street lights and fountains. Perfect for my project.

jykm-1d4-cb28.jpg

I have no idea what to do with them ... so ... let's just try to do at least something.

jykm-1gx-f74b.jpg

jykm-1h6-7039.jpg

jykm-1h3-8fdd.jpg

jykm-1h1-02ec.jpg

And after messing around quite a bit, I finally concluded that it was the best to put them away.

It is shameful to say, but it took me almost one year until I decided what I wanted to do with them. Finally they became scenery pieces to be combined with the Gallian city/village I was going to create for my project.

jykm-1uw-051c.png

jykm-1ux-ebd1.png

jykm-1uy-2f98.png

jykm-1v0-b38a.png

jykm-1v1-9802.png

jykm-1v2-9d66.png

jykm-1v3-784c.png

jykm-1v5-69ca.png

jykm-1v4-ac7e.png

jykm-1va-fa30.png

Okay - They don't make a lot of impression once you are near them, but from the distance. My Oh My - they totally Slade into the anime-esque look I am trying to create.

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 13

It's the sum of all the components together.

They will enhance the overall look of your project.

Good choice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When my uncle died, among the few things he left behind, there were some small trees from his scale train. So I decided to give them a little place in my project.

jykm-283-8f33.jpg

Based them and did some colour overhaul ...

jykm-28p-c688.jpg

jykm-28s-ceff.jpg

jykm-28r-8fc1.jpg

jykm-28q-63b9.jpg

I think they fit perfectly. And it is better then selling them to someone else ... Don't they say that memories live in trees? How true, how true.

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 15