TaleSpinner

Boxer Rebellion: Box-Turtle Folk, WIP

This is awesome...  ::D: How tall are they going to be?

(I don't suppose you'll be sculpting one of the heads with a bowl-shaped depression full of water to make it a kappa, will you?

I love those guys and used them a lot when Oriental Adventures came out for D&D...)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

This is awesome...  ::D: How tall are they going to be?

(I don't suppose you'll be sculpting one of the heads with a bowl-shaped depression full of water to make it a kappa, will you?

I love those guys and used them a lot when Oriental Adventures came out for D&D...)

20 to 25 mm.

I hadn't planned on it.  But, with the proper bit and a dremel tool, you'd be able to make that mod to them pretty easily.

• Like 5

I did a bit of searching on eBay, and came across 10packs of 2.4 x 500mm Bronze Brazing rods for $7.79 (+ $0.99 shipping for first 10pack, no additional cost for the next few packages) from Hong Kong. 

Sure, that's only about 0.43 lbs for each pack, and the cost/lbs is probably horrendous, but then again, it's in the form of thin rods that can easily be cut.

THere may be thicker rods available that is more cost effective, also. 

• Like 2

Hey,

You can cut the bronze bar into chunks with an angle grinder, but it's not a fun task: lots and lots of fine bronze dust, sparkled like a champ for a few days. We use an old horizontal metal bandsaw, the saw itself is something specific for stainless steel, but the bronze is so soft that a normal saw blade will do just fine. 

• Like 2

I used some Christmas money and bought and metal chop saw. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to contain the dust.

• Like 1

Two ways, depending on your setup, really...

Vacuum, usually with a Cyclone to separate the dust out before it gets to the filters, or you could have flood coolant(cutting oil) running over the metal and along the blade. (Flood coolant systems recycle the liquid)

I use a home-made cyclone separator on my ShapeOko CnC when cutting wood and plastics, and spray-cans of cutting oil the few times I've cut Aluminium. (I cut much, much slower than with a saw, and since I usually cut out shapes and leave a bit of a border, I end up with the oil contained in the cut and the chaff as a thick paste)

A Cyclone will allow you to have separate 'waste buckets' for different materials, so that the dust can be more easily recycled or reused.

I'd go check out the www.shapeoko.com/forum/  for a few hints.

Very helpful and friendly gang, almost on par with this forrum... 

• Like 2

I added a layer if GS to the shell and smoothed it down tight.  Then I cut in the plates:

IMG_E2779.JPG.d14d19dcd239154ee8e4695ab9ffaadd.JPG

After that I sculpted the details into each plate:

IMG_E2780.JPG.97501341a1d822f0601517e10e928de9.JPGIMG_E2781.JPG.1651d06b4d0710782db29199679a4dff.JPG

IMG_E2782.JPG.249169eb26f697f7b29bc718cef7247c.JPG

Next I'll start working on the belly plates.

• Like 20

These are going to look awesome!

Is there any chance that they will have options that will make them generically fantasy enough to be used as Tortles? They are a playable race in 5e Adventurer's League but there is a lack of miniatures for them. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By NyarlaBcn
      I have all the 25th anniversary minis and now it's Darius turn.
      It's one of my favourites; and while frecuently the "official" painting scheme wasn't for me, because many of them were too colorful (let's say Ametrine or Dain) and I painted them somber, I like the scheme on Darius. 
      The issue is... I never tried to replicate such an ambitious pattern: that blue mosaic. I'm not great with freehands, and to cover his entire clothing with it looks almost scary. So I decided to start the project sharing it here. 

First things first, I primed Darius Black. On second thoughts I should probably used white primer, but well, it's done now... Then based him. White putty to fit his base to the plastic base. 

Then I decided to try a few colors, and to do that I used another mini I'm not really interested on right now. As you can see on the pic, I tried three different blues for the base color. They all look darker than they should because before I start with the mosaic I will highlight them: the idea is choose one, paint the entire clothing with highlights. I'm still not sure which one. I'm inclined to the one I'm pointing with the brush; but on photo it looks slightly different... I will try other mixes to see if I can find something a bit more turquoise. Now on photo I think that there is too much contrast between the two blues; and when I'm working with Darius, the pattern will be also more neat, small and precise. Now it's a bit rough because it's just all about color. 
      I'm also undecided about the mosaic. I will highlight it too, once applied. I'm using a pale blue, which will be paler when I highlight it. 

Any advice so welcomed because that's totally new to me... 

• By Pingo
      (Note: I actually started these a while back, though they are not done yet. This is a bit less of a WIP thread than a how-I-got-here-so-far thread, which I will update as I get my old pictures organized. Questions and comments and critiques are, as always, welcome.)

Last summer Bad Squiddo Games hosted a brief Kickstarter, "My Last Sunrise," of an assortment of Gothic horror minis centered around vampires. These two stood out to me as a little beyond the Hammer horror ethos of most of the other figures. While I was painting them I thought of them as "Feral Vampires," although when I just rechecked they are called "Vampire Thralls."

I dunno. They don't look very thrall-like to me.

Their tag line in the Kickstarter was "Float about in my night dress cooing for scraps? No way. I hunt my own meal."

Anyhow, they have a fun, odd, lady pirate or highwayman look.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is a slight deviation from how I prime figures. Normally I prime them with Titanium White (which I did here) and then wash over them with Burnt Umber to bring out the details. These I wanted kind of cold-looking, so I washed them with a cold dark grey mixed from Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue.

That's them on the left. For a while I was including Bad Squiddo's "Dracula" in the photos, so you get a free peek at that too.

And as per usual, the first thing I did was their skin. In contrast to the skin of living humans, I have been painting vampire skin in stark black-and-white mixed from Titanium White and Carbon Black. The very first layer is thinned Titanium White, then pale shadows of the lightest grey.

• By Gargs
      My next project, also for my current Pathfinder game. This one looks like a real fun model and am looking to improve my layering technique as there are some nice areas on him to practice that.

As always, any suggestions along the way are most welcome.  Here is in his primed glory. Hoping to get a decent amount of work on the skin done today, looking forward to doing some fun stuff with the eye as well, but waiting on some supplies (read paint) to come in first.

Oh and I totally forgot about doing a WIP of the base, but there ya go. At least there will be some stuff likely added at the end. :)

Thanks for looking!
    • By Xiwo Xerase
      I started painting these miniatures around the same time as Seoni (so back in June).  I've forgotten what I've done on them so far so I'm hoping you can point out what I should work on.  I'm aiming for "tabletop" or "tabletop plus" category, with a focus on skin tones.

77055 Anval Thricedamned was my experiment for an orc skin tone.  I wanted something slightly green but not the green of Warhammer or Warcraft.  The skin tone has been done using the Khaki Brown triad, with 09128 Green Ochre as the base tone, and 09253 Flesh Wash, mostly because I wanted to see what it did.  (It brought the skin tone back from slightly green to more of a yellow brown.  Still acceptable for an orc.)

The shiny patches on Anval's chest are 09298 Gloss Sealer to either help mend popped paint bubbles or fix a bit I didn't catch when scraping mold lines.

So I know I need to tidy up around the glossy bits, dry brush the chainmail on the back, and work on the fur padding.  I don't remember if I've done any shadows on the non-flesh parts.

I think 77073 Freja Fangbreaker is almost done.  Her skin is done using the Dusky Skin triad and her hair using the Lava Colors triad.  She was a test for dwarves I wanted to use in a Pathfinder campaign.  (And after reviewing my notes, I accidentally recreated the Dark Iron Dwarves.  Maybe it's a good thing that campaign didn't happen...)

I know one of her eyes looks a little weird but I'm really not inclined to fix it.  Since this was the second pair of eyes I'd ever done (Seoni was the first) and I'm scared to death about having to redo them again, I'm inclined to leave it as is.

I think I need to bring up the highlights on her face.  Some of the paint on the washer at the bottom has worn away as well and needs to be redone.  Anything else?
    • By Lidless Eye
      I recently got in the latest "Heroines in Sensible Shoes" Kickstarter from Oathsworn Miniatures.  I decided to get started on them and take (yet another) break from my in progress Rising Sun minis.

As \always, they were nice, clean casts with lots of detail, but nothing over-wrought...which makes sense for low-level adventurers!  They're such a joy to paint.
  • Who's Online   34 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)