TaleSpinner

Boxer Rebellion: Box-Turtle Folk, WIP

23 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Good ideas!  Thanks.

I started her armature last night:

IMG_E3672.JPG.fe78f539b7e3cb3516fce0f96e3d9a90.JPGIMG_E3673.JPG.29c7196cf7292b2c945ec3200083dd8a.JPG

You can see the dark hole on her back where the tree will eventually go.

Maybe a red panda at her feet:

Image result for red panda

That was exactly what I was thinking.

A red panda is ideal for this setting!

• Like 4

On 9/14/2018 at 7:40 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Maybe a red panda at her feet:

Image result for red panda

Check with your ultimate client obviously...

But, sculpting that Red Panda as a separate little piece, that can be added to the base is a thought that ought to be thought** about. 

...I think the Red Panda, on its own, would be a money spinner. 

**The one for the Druid Base could be a baby Red Panda (one of three!) ...Mama RP and two siblings available separately. (As long as we're trying to think of moneyspinning ideas.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I will definitely need to check with the client on the panda as it will add a lot of time and was not in the quote.

• Like 4

On 9/12/2018 at 2:57 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Magi: This one is hard to describe.  Basically, will have head raised, mouth open looking forward with a crazed look.  Will have a modified robe with a neck/hood that sticks up high, looking like the hat from Big Trouble in Little China, sort-of.  Long drapey sleeves with arms raised casting a spell.  Robe open in back for the shell coming down to the front in a carved jade gem, then flaring out again, wrapping back around and going to ground all the way around.  I'm still working the details out in my head. Lots of inspiration coming from this without the hair:

Related image

The difficulty will be figuring out how to put a hat or something like it on a turtle.  Hmmmm....

I love that concept.

I would imagine that the base form of the hat could stretch into a larger, triangular shape to try to match a turtle head. (With the seam along the front forming the point)

• Like 4

I finished the armature for the druid tonight.  I tried using my new torch system to braise the tree on, but ended up bungling it with the only out come being a bunch of fire-scale on the bronze and copper.  Learning sucks sometimes. So I glued it on instead. <shrug>

IMG_3680.jpg.dd11b6eef13b0c7a0dca5a7fc0a84878.jpgIMG_3681.jpg.85bd406cd99fc6c71e92b11aa4e9897e.jpg

IMG_3682.jpg.b75a0637fc938fcb072ac0f76fa047e6.jpgIMG_3683.jpg.9a491e4c40d4cc455d786527085f18f4.jpg

Then I polished it and underpinned the tree and rock to add strength and substance for adding the details.

IMG_3684.jpg.ac9359aa61465dfe9b63870dc764dcdc.jpgIMG_3685.jpg.cd6b474924c10c5db9c9b88b89044021.jpg

That's all for tonight.  I need to get some sleep.

• Like 17

Loving the druid so far!  She's gonna be super cool.  Too bad about the brazing and pewter not working out like you hoped. 

You may not need a full burnout of the investment to cast lower temp. alloys.  I'll ask a friend who does a lot of small pieces with lost wax if he's ever done anything with pewter and report back any info I can dig up.  He's been really busy lately renovating his new very old house though; could take some time to hear back...

Update - I heard back: Dave says for pewter, burnout is as usual for your flask size and investment type, but pour when the flask has cooled to 260C.  Hope that helps, good luck!

Kang

Edited by Kang
  • Like 2

On 9/21/2018 at 11:04 AM, Kang said:

Update - I heard back: Dave says for pewter, burnout is as usual for your flask size and investment type, but pour when the flask has cooled to 260C.  Hope that helps, good luck!

Kang

Thank you!  That was the problem then. I had cooled to about 500 degrees.

• Like 3

I really need to pop into the Sculpting forum more often because this is one of the best things I've ever seen on this forum. Gorgeous work already, Andy, and I'm really, really looking forward to seeing the rest and then ultimately buying and painting all of them! You've put a ton of care and detail into these guys and that makes them really easy to get excited about. Thanks for sharing the process with us; it's really neat to watch everything unfold with a craft that you obviously have a great deal of passion for.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rainbow Sculptor said:

Looking really good. Are you using a lot more apoxie in that mix? The color is strange.

3:2 Apoxie to GS.  I want the tree to be very hard and unmoving.

4 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

I really need to pop into the Sculpting forum more often because this is one of the best things I've ever seen on this forum. Gorgeous work already, Andy, and I'm really, really looking forward to seeing the rest and then ultimately buying and painting all of them! You've put a ton of care and detail into these guys and that makes them really easy to get excited about. Thanks for sharing the process with us; it's really neat to watch everything unfold with a craft that you obviously have a great deal of passion for.

Wow, thanks!  :blush:

• Like 5

Very, very nice!!

Already can see the scene, even at this stage.

• Like 1

Aaah, should visit more often. The sculpt is looking amazing!

For a future reference to casting with different alloys, the flask should be about 400C below the melting point of your chosen metal; for silver, if you have big patterns flask temp of 560C is enough, for small and delicate patterns up to 600C and let it soak in about an hour before pouring, so that the inside of the flask has time to get to the same temperature as the outside of your flask. Same goes with bronze. Pewter on the other hand, has a real low melting point and becomes completely molten at around 300C, but for vacuum, you'll get better results with the melt being somewhere around 320-340C (flask temp of 260C sounds ok ::):).

Have fun!

~Julia

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2